Molyneux: “Ambition” is for day one Fable II co-op patch, better than game delay

Tuesday, 30th September 2008 10:39 GMT By Patrick Garratt

fable211.jpg

Speaking to VG247 yesterday, Lionhead boss Peter Molyneux said that it was his “ambition” to include online co-op in Fable II in a first day patch, and that everything was “going well” to achieve the goal.

“It is a very usual thing with anything to do with co-op and it relies upon the Live service,” he said. “It gives us a tiny bit more time to polish it and make sure it’s working right. Anything to do with Live is much more complex than single-player, so out ambition is to get it out on day one release patch.

“Now, I can’t absolutely confirm that at the moment. It’s all going well. It’s looking like it should be spot on for that. It is down to a few minor little things, and we’re pretty close.”

Molyneux added: “This is purely me as a guessing man – remember, I haven’t been in the office for quite some time – but it’s all looking good to be a day one patch.”

The developer said the situation with the feature was preferable to having the game slip.

“I’d much rather have done that than to have delayed the product, obviously,” he said, saying patching in this way was a throwback to older PC development.

“This is kind of like a heritage from the PC days, of course, when you did always used to patch with a day one patch, and because you’ve got Live now you can do these things,” he said.

And yep, we did ask him some of your questions. We’ll put up his answers this week.

1. JPickford

Maybe next time we can buy a blank disk when the game is announced and just keep patching it during the dev process?

2. Robo_1

I hope nobody from EA read that :D

3. JPickford

It’ll happen I reckon. Probably viable for a big name developer.

4. Robo_1

I think Peter Moore recently said that yearly titles like Fifa could switch to a download like service, which is certainly in line with that sort of thinking.

Day one patches are becoming increasingly common though, Little Big Planet is also getting a day one patch for online co-op, I suppose it’s a good thing if it gives developers a bit more breathing room, but it’s increasingly becoming the norm.

5. JPickford

I think it’s a bit worrying* when core features are being omitted. Online co-op was certainly a much touted element of LBP. It’s hard to understand why they left it to the last minute.

*I’m not actually worried or anything.

6. Robo_1

I suppose the most likely scenario is they encountered bugs at the last minute, and rather than push the whole game back, decided to patch the online side of things later on.

Either that or feature creep got to them (which doesn’t sound too unlikely given the amount of new features they talk about) and decided to worry about updating the co-op side of things after the offline side was done.

7. BraveArse

I suspect Marketing departments have a sizeable hand in it. Sell it now – deliver it later – to hell with what the folk who actually have to build it say.

8. mightyhokie

Gives me time to do the single player game first! (Always look on the bright side of life.)

9. No_PUDding

JPickford, online Coop on LBP is in. Just nto onlien multiplayer creation.

And you’ll find your eally don’t need to be speakign to them all the time, you want to create your own level.

Stickers and decorations are still available in playthroguhs and that’s all you need.

And This is a big fuss over nothing anyway, Fable 2′s online co-op is not what is making me want it. I don’t like the orbs. The game sounds fun and local coop is MUCH better than online.