Crackdown 2: “The door’s not closed,” says Realtime Worlds

Thursday, 7th August 2008 14:30 GMT By Patrick Garratt

crackdown.jpg

Speaking to VG247 at Develop, Realtime Worlds has offered a God-sent glimmer of hope that we may yet see a sequel to free-roaming future cop blockbuster Crackdown, one of the most-loved Xbox 360 games. That’s the spirit.

“It was a horrible, horrible decision that we still dwell on,” said studio boss Colin Macdonald of the choice not to move ahead straight onto a second game.

“But I don’t think the door’s closed. Obviously, right now we’re tied up with APB and everything else, but hopefully in the future we’ll have the resource and something can be worked out with Microsoft.”

Good gravy. There are a great many people in the world that would dearly love to see that happen, we said.

“Including 200 people in Dundee,” Macdonald added. “We would have loved to have seen it. We poured five years of our lives into that game. You know, we’ve got guys on the development team that have Crackdown tattoos, permanent tattoos on their arms. We’re extremely passionate about it.

“But at the end of the day we’re a company that has to do what’s best for the company. We’ve got to stay in business. And the numbers just didn’t add up. We’re not in the business of doing things because we’d like to, if we can’t guarantee that it makes sense for the company. That doesn’t work.”

Microsoft: please, please, sort this out. Please. We didn’t get level four hand grenades for nothing, you know.

1. JonFE

I’d be careful with these tattoos, if I were you Mr. Macdonald. Just look where they took Peter Moore :)

On topic though some more Crackdown would be great 8)

2. Xephon1970

My second game for the 360 and one if the few I completed. I maxed everything but the driving. Superhero developers take note – that’s how you do it.

A second game would be awesome.

3. patlike

I *loved* it. It was the first game I played in HD, my proper next-gen cherry. I did explosives and jumping to four, I think. A second one would be amazing.

4. Axle

Crackdown is a great game and reamians one of the best on 360. Artistically it’s as good as GTA IV and shows Saint’s Row up for the imposter that it is.

Surely MS can back this?

5. Robo_1

Still my favourite 360 game.

6. pjmaybe

Why is it that every single game that truly warrants a sequel ends up being tied up in licencing hell and disagreement between the devs and their publishers? Every single fucking one.

It’ll be a shame if we don’t see any more Crackdown. I thought it could’ve done with fleshing out with a hell of a lot more mission content but the levelling up and stuff was brilliant.

7. pjmaybe

And GAH! if you’re talking to ‘em at least ask about APB on 360.

8. mightyhokie

I hope we get this. I loved that game as well. Actually, right before GTA4 came out I ‘cracked’ it open and played it again (at least for a while). It was fun and interesting and quirky.

I don’t know the numbers behind it but when I heard that it would not have a sequel I thought that was a mistake. I don’t know anyone who didn’t play it. It was my second 360 game and I loved it.

9. Gekidami

I’m surprised so many people liked this very mediocre game… Maybe your thinking of the H3 beta; its only selling point at the time.

10. Trip SkyWay

I’d love me some more Crackdown.

11. BraveArse

I must have missed the announcement that there wasn’t going to be a sequel… this is all a shock to me as I still rate it way above GTA 4. Best game of that year imo.

12. patlike

They said ages ago that they weren’t going to move onto a sequel, if I recall. In the months after the first one came out, I think.

13. Blerk

It was worse than that. They anticipated doing a sequel but the call from Microsoft never called, so they moved on to other things. When Microsoft finally realised that they had a closet hit on their hands, RTW were too tied up in other stuff to be able to do it. Microsoft done dropped a bollock. I’d be very surprised if they don’t correct that at the earliest possible opportunity, but it might be years away yet.

14. patlike

Welcome back :)

15. Blerk

The kids made me get up early. Little bastards. :-D

16. patlike

Heh. I’ve forgotten what sleep is.

17. contender

Sorry, but Microsoft DID offer it to RTW – they turned it down cos they didn’t have the manpower.
    Microsoft have not revealed what is happening with the sequel but rest assured it will happen. Sorry Macdonald, for all your hype, it won’t be RTW :)

18. JPickford

A 3 month bump. Surely you can do better?