Far Cry 2 devs wanted to “get rid of island scene”

Thursday, 12th June 2008 15:18 GMT By Patrick Garratt

farcry212.jpg

Speaking to CVG, Far Cry 2 art director Alex Amancio has said that dropping the island setting from the first game was important for the sequel’s identity.

“We started working on Far Cry 2 before Instincts had even decided if it was going to have mutant powers,” he said.

“We started fresh and our key was to have a realistic game, we didn’t want any mutant powers. We obviously changed the setting to Africa; we wanted to keep the very iconic setting of Far Cry but we got rid of the desert island scene.”

Amancio added: “Frankly the desert island scene was becoming very crowded with Lost and stuff like that, so we tried to go with a setting that was really fresh. Africa came to mind. Plus it’s so iconic; that image of the Savannah is very, very underexploited in videogames.”

More through the link.

1. SticKboy

A game set in Africa? They’re quite obviously racist.

2. patlike

3. Whizzo

They could have been really radical and made FC2 take place on a dessert island.

4. ecu

“Racism aside, I reckon this could be one of my top games of the year. I nearly popped when I saw the console video.”

It looks a bit crap though. Tearing every other frame.

5. Whizzo

Just as well the PC version was looking excellent when I saw it running then. :-)

6. pjmaybe

“Plus it’s so iconic; that image of the Savannah is very, very underexploited in videogames.”

…at least it was till Afrika, and Resident Evil 5 horned in on the action…

7. patlike

I’m not a big tearing hater, tbh. It just looked fun.

8. ecu

I don’t mind a bit of tearing either, but it looked completely ridiculous in that video. It worries me that they’d put out a video with that much tearing in it.

The game looked good, but all the good was completely negated by the tearing.