Bioshock movie may come alongside third game, says Zelnick

Thursday, 5th June 2008 23:14 GMT By Patrick Garratt

bioshock18.jpg

Speaking in an investor call related to just-released Q2 financials, Take-Two head Strauss Zelnick said that the now-confirmed Bioshock film would not release alongside Bioshock 2 next year.

“It’s more likely that it would be released coincident with BioShock 3,” he said.

This is, obviously, the first time a third Bioshock game has ever been mentioned.

As reported earlier, Gore Verbinski will direct and produce the movie.

1. morriss

Bioshock 3? Wow.

2. kasai

I’m having big doubts of if they can even make bioshock 2 surpass the first let alone there being a 3rd one.

This game could lose its charm for me

3. ecu

Wonder what they’ll call the movie. For some reason, “Bioshock” doesn’t really work for me as a movie title. It sounds a bit amateur. I think “Rapture” would work though.

4. Gundampilotspaz

Why must they take anything that makes a little bit of profit and try to completely milk it for all it’s worth. Bioshock was a solid, interesting first person shooter. A squeal will not be good. A movie will not be good. A third game will turn my disinterest into anger.

5. ecu

But a movie COULD be good, a sequel probably will be good.

6. patlike

I’d be nigh on amazed if the game wasn’t good. I’m still very dubious of games movies. The only half-decent one I’ve ever seen was Resident Evil.

7. ecu

There’s no reason why a movie of a game can’t be good. Years of really shit game movies have made people think it’s impossible to make a good one. A lot of the problem is that some games just don’t lend themselves to movies, especially the fighting games (Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, Dead or Alive) Done properly, a Bioshock film could potentially be excellent.

8. Blerk

I didn’t like Resident Evil much. Resident Evil Apocalypse was better than the first film. Still not ‘good’, but passable.

I really wanted to like Silent Hill, but I just couldn’t. :-D

9. ecu

I actually know a few people that really love Silent Hill. Everyone I know who likes it, has never played the games. Everyone I know who’s played the games, doesn’t like it.