The Village & Pillage update is now available for those who own the Bedrock Edition of Minecraft.
More content has been made available for Minecraft, and those who own the Bedrock Edition can now trade with villagers, fight with pillagers, add new blocks to their collection and much, much more.
There are also new building types, bells, a new Wandering Trader, sweet berries, and other fun new things.
Xbox One, Windows 10 Edition, iOS, Java, Android, and Nintendo Switch players will find the update ready to be installed upon firing the game up.
Highlights for today’s update are below and you can find the full patch notes through the official website.
If you’ve been away from the game a while, be sure to check out our list showing some of the best Minecraft seeds available in the wild.
Minecraft Village & Pillage update
- Many new building types and enhanced village generation
- Biome specific architecture for plains, desert, savannah, and taiga
- Village & Pillage
- Villagers have new clothing to indicate their level, profession, and biome
- Added Mason and Nitwit villagers
- Villagers now sleep in beds
- Villagers now visit their job sites during the day and go home at night
- Greatly improved villager pathfinding
- Villagers in existing worlds will convert to new villagers (if they are not part of a template world)
- Zombie Villagers now have biome-specific and profession skin layers
Village Job Sites
- Villagers can now take on a new profession when near a job site block
- While villagers claim these sites, they also have functions for players
- Cartography Table – Provides an easier way to copy and enlarge maps. Maps can be locked by using glass panes
- Grindstone – Used to repair weapons and tools, plus disenchanting
- Barrel – Stores items like a chest but can still be opened with blocks on top of it
- Smoker – Cooks food much faster than a furnace
- Blast Furnace – Faster ore smelting
- Composter – Adding enough crops will produce bone meal
- Stonecutter – Easy crafting for stone and cobblestone items
- Smithing Table and Fletching Table – Functionality coming in a later update
- Added brand new villager trades (169044)
- Villagers now have a visual based trading system and will hold up an item they wish to trade if the player is holding something they want
- When villagers make trades, they gain experience. When they gain enough experience, they level up. Leveling up unlocks new trades
- Villagers will resupply their trades when arriving at their job site (172559)
- A villager mob that will appear at a village’s gathering site periodically and stays for a period of 2-3 game days
- This trader offers items from a wide variety of different biomes, random dyes, and other rare materials
- Accompanied on their journey by two fancy llamas!
- When rung, all villagers will run into their houses
- Bells ring when players interact with them or are powered by redstone
- The new tower hangout for pillagers that generate in the same biomes as villages
- Pillagers will respawn around the tower
- Clear them out and score some loot!
- Can be found holding a banner in pillager outposts
- The player that kills a captain will be given the Bad Omen effect
- When a player enters a village with Bad Omen, a raid will be triggered
- Pillager enemies will attack a village in waves
- Players that successfully defend a village from a raid will receive the Hero of the Village effect, giving a steep discount on trades with villagers
- A powerful, new enemy mob found in illager patrols and during village raids
- When running, it can destroy some blocks like crops so watch out!
- Can be ridden into battle by illagers
- Groups of villagers, pillagers, and ravagers can be found patrolling the overworld
- A new light source to cozy up your village
- Works great as a fireplace in a home, with no fire spread to worry about
- Throw some food on it and become a campfire cooking pro!
- A new source of food
- Sweet Berry Bushes can be found in Taiga biomes
- Watch out for thorns!
- Bamboo is now generated in Jungles and more densely in the new Bamboo Jungle biome
- Plethora of Cats – Befriend twenty stray cats (20G)
- Kill the Beast! – Defeat a Ravager (30G)
- Buy Low, Sell High – Trade for the best possible price (50G)
- Disenchanted – Use a Grindstone to get experience from an enchanted item (20G)
- We’re being attacked – Trigger a Pillager Raid (20G)
- Sound the Alarm! – Ring the bell with a hostile enemy in the village (20G)
- I’ve got a bad feeling about this – Kill a Pillager Captain (20G)
Roaming Skin Choice
- When choosing a skin from a skin pack, the selected skin will now be selected automatically on other Bedrock devices using the same account
- Some skin packs may not be eligible for roaming selection
- Text to Speech can now be enabled to read in-game chat
- UI Screen Reader can be enabled to say the name of interface controls and their current state
- Accessibility features can be enabled in Settings
- Note on World Generation: In order to deliver the coolest generated villages possible, some world seeds may have illages generate in different areas than they used to before this update
- A fresh new batch of seeds are now available in the Seed Picker when creating a new world
- Added even more new textures to blocks and items, including stained glass
- Increased the amount of scaffolding that can be placed out from its initial support
- Changes to the way cats spawn in villages:
- Cats now respawn based on number of beds in the village
- The number of cats = 1/4 the number of beds
- Cat total caps at 10 cats per village
- Lecterns now emit a redstone signal when turning pages
- Darkened portions of the game’s menus to provide stronger contrast for accessibility