Ubisoft finally had a chance to introduce Assassin’s Creed Odyssey to the world, even if we basically knew everything in advance.
When we look back at E3 2018, I suspect everyone will agree that Assassin’s Creed Odyssey was the most-leaked game of the entire event. We saw the announcement, the screenshots, and even the dev diary well before Ubisoft could feature everything at its E3 conference.
The good news is Odyssey should still be a game to look forward to. The Greek historical setting, an emphasis on naval combat, and even the ability to choose between a male and female protagonist seems promising. And that’s before we get into updated combat mechanics that will pit you against high volumes of enemies.
It’s just a shame that Ubisoft hoped to keep all of this a secret.
Unlike previous games in the series, Assassin’s Creed Odyssey puts a renewed emphasis on roleplaying. After choosing your Spartan hero – Kassandra or Alexios – Assassin’s Creed Odyssey takes players on an adventure that establishes the earliest Western civilizations. You’ll also encounter figures from history and myth, including what appears to be the legendary Minotaur.
During the story, players will have access to branching dialogue choices. You’ll be able to embellish or lie about the outcomes of missions, changing the storyline in various subtle ways.
Ubisoft also released a gameplay trailer showcasing how a typical mission might unfold. The Assassin’s Creed stealth formula is pretty much locked down at this point, but there are other combat avenues available to you. Water-based combat has been expanded in various ways, which makes sense, considering the Athenians were renowned for their naval prowess. On land, you’ll have a variety of ranged and melee combat options that even include dueling from horseback.
Whether on sea or land, the number of on-screen enemies seems to have grown immensely. It certainly lends a grander scope to the typical Assassin’s Creed combat encounter.
Assassin’s Creed Odyssey Kassandra gameplay:
- Become a Legendary Spartan Hero: Embark on your journey from humble beginnings to living legend as Alexios or Kassandra. Customize your gear, upgrade your abilities, and personalize your ship on your path to becoming a Spartan hero.
- Ancient Greece Awaits: From the heights of snowy mountain peaks to the depths of the Aegean Sea, explore an entire country full of untamed environments and cities at the peak of Greece’s Golden Age. Unexpected encounters will breathe life into your story as you meet colorful characters, battle vicious mercenaries, and more.
- Choose Your Own Path: Your decisions shape the world around you with over 30 hours of choice dialogue and multiple game endings. Experience a living, dynamic world that constantly evolves and reacts to your every decision.
- Fight Epic Battles: Show off your extraordinary warrior abilities and shift the tides of battle during one of the deadliest conflicts of the time, the Peloponnesian War. Charge into epic clashes between Sparta and Athens in big battles pitting 150v150 soldiers against each other.
- Sail Across the Aegean Sea: Find uncharted locations, uncover hidden treasures, or fight your way through entire fleets in naval battles. Customize the look of your ship, upgrade weaponry to suit your strengths, and recruit crewmembers with unique perks, tailoring naval combat to your style.
- A Land of Myths and Legends: Discover a world rich with myths and legends. From ancient rituals to famed statues, come face to face with Greece’s legendary figures and discover the true nature of mythological beasts like Medusa and the Minotaur.
Assassin’s Creed Odyssey launches for PC, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One on October 5, 2018.
Keep an eye on our E3 conference time guide for all the upcoming conference times and stay on top of all the big E3 2018 announcements.