Watch Dogs is getting a major patch over the next few days, and it hits important notes such as hacking, corrupted saves, and most importantly: a lot of those graphics issues.
Watch Dogs players on PlayStation 3 and PS4 should already have the update, with the PC version launching soon and Xbox platforms to follow within a week, according to the Ubisoft forums.
There are a couple of major complaints about Watch Dogs that the patch notes suggest this update ought to address. A couple of mission-breaking bugs have been squashed, and the ability to hack has been restored – quite a major issue in a game about being a hacker.
The weapon wheel should no longer come up empty, and save files that get stuck at 90% due to corruption ought to be restored – although you may lose a few collectibles. In multiplayer, problems with connections and spawning have been given a going over.
That’s all well and good, but it’s the PC-specific section of the patch notes that is really interesting in light of a recent Watch Dogs fix unlocking improved graphical performance. Take a look – I’ve bolded the bits I think are most interested:
- PC SPECIFIC FIXES
- Fixed graphical glitches on Low & Medium settings.
- Fixed some crashes on SLI configurations.
- Implemented several performance improvements.
- Implemented a few control improvements.
- Fixed issues causing infinite messaging and timing-out when trying to access the Online Shop from the Extras Menu while Uplay is set to Offline mode.
- Fixed issues connecting to a Multiplayer game.
- Implemented several mouse modifications.
- Fixed “Drinking Game” control issue where wrong information was displayed when played with a gamepad.
- Fixed “Chess Game” control issue.
- Fixed bug where the invasion setting was never saved.
- Fixed graphical issues during cut scenes and cinematics.
- Fixed several graphical and texture bugs.
- Removed Vista OS check to prevent false positives.
- Added game version in main menu.
That’s quite a few mentions of graphical improvements. Given that it’s become clear that Watch Dogs on PC is capable of better graphics, has Ubisoft re-enabled the gorgeous graphics it locked away for some reason?