Want to play Destiny co-op on the couch with your buddy? You’re out of luck

Friday, 13th June 2014 09:30 GMT By Dave Cook

Destiny developer Bungie has confirmed that its online shooter won’t offer split-screen play, unlike its Halo series. The team has explained its decision in a new interview.

destiny

Before you dive in, I’ve been playing the Destiny alpha on PS4 this week, and I’ve written a whole bunch of words on the matter. Have a look through the link, won’t you?

We’ve also got the extended Destiny E3 2014 trailer that just dropped last night.

Speaking with Gamespot, Bungie community manager Eric Osborne explained, “We’re actually not supporting split-screen in Destiny. We love split-screen. Obviously we have a legacy of supporting it. We know a lot of players love it. We love it.

“But we really wanted to untether guardians. Even if you’re in a fireteam, you can go wherever you want. That level of freedom was really important for us. We know some players really like split-screen. Ultimately, you can’t build a game to suit every single player out there.”

I’ve done the whole Fireteam thing and it was a game of two halves. I’m publishing a new article on it later this afternoon, so stay tuned for that. Check out the first part here.

1. YoungZer0

Who actually likes Split-Screen?

#1 3 months ago
  2. dazedonthemoon

The alpha is pretty darn fun so far.

#2 3 months ago
  3. The_Red

@YoungZer0
    People who have actual friends that visit them rather than Facebook buds? People who like parties and games? People who have grown up with arcades and fighting games? People who are not 24/7 online with their Smart Devices?

#3 3 months ago
  4. Dave Cook

@The_Red +1

#4 3 months ago
  5. Game Hunter

@YoungZer0 Us who don’t have Xbox Live in Middle East and need to play the final mission of this game in co-op.

#5 3 months ago
  6. Reddpayn

No splitscreen, no buy. Its just that simple. CAN YOU HEAR ME BUNGIE??! You just lost a costumer :(

#6 3 months ago
  7. onlineatron

destiny alpha is cool but worried that i won’t be able to solo the full game. kinda hoped i’d be able to play same screen with my partner. bummer

#7 3 months ago
  8. Sethos

No one gives a fuck, other than the 4 people who want to claim it’s because of the ‘social aspect’, when the truth is, they have some pleb friend who can’t afford a console.

#8 3 months ago
  9. lezo

@gamehunter ,they have xbox live in the middle east

#9 3 months ago
  10. KineticCalvaria

@Game Hunter

The game has built in multiplayer as it’s essentially an MMO, therefore it’ll surely require a live subscription to play anyway… So good luck playing split screen even if it was available.

#10 3 months ago
  11. CycloneFox

The headline got me really excited for the first 12 words…

@YoungZer0: Of course splitscreen has some disadvantages from its nature already. But if you have friends at your house, a girlfriend/wife, children, etc. It is less likely you have one console and TV for each of them available. Also if you are one of the first people to own a new console in your circle of friends, you can hardly play anything with your friends nowerdays.

#11 3 months ago
  12. TheWulf

As an introvert, even I like the occasional local multiplayer game. LittleBigPlanet, Bomberman, and so many others. Not that I’m interested in this game, but as I said, even as an introvert… I can agree with you. But this is the age of the extrovert, millions of virtual friends, and not one real friend among them.

I’d rather a small group of genuinely close friends, personally, revolving around trust and equal respect. But that’s just me.

And as I’ve said, what I’ve found is that I’m preferring co-op games to MMOs, because they’ve never really made me happy. The only two MMOs that came close were The Secret World (because of all the puzzling and researching), and Champions Online, because of the creative character creator (which I spent more time in than the game). I’m just too old for MMOs, now. I just… can’t bring myself to be interested in them.

Typical sociopathic extrovert. “YOU. DO. NOT. MEET. THE. BRAND. SPECIFICATIONS. OF. THE. HERD. THEREFORE. YOU. CANNOT. BE. MY. FRIEND.

True friendship isn’t based upon what one does or does not own. Or what you can or can’t exploit from said ‘friend.’

#12 3 months ago