UPDATE: Darksiders 3 publisher says the series isn’t dead but isn’t ready to announce

Tuesday, 13th May 2014 11:39 GMT By Dave Cook

Darksiders isn’t dead, and new IP owner Nordic Games is committed to the franchise, according to series designer Joe Madureira. The publisher has also responded with its own threadbare statement,

20120910_darksiders_2

UPDATE: In a statement sent to RPS, Nordic Games said, “With regards to Darksiders 3: of course we’ve always been busy in the background, talking to a lot of former team members about a continuation of the series, but we are not ready to announce anything officially. Joe Madureira is spot on in saying that DS is not dead and we are committed, though.”

“Before we can say something about the ‘how’ and ‘when’ of publishing/financing the sequel is concerned, we are still busy in properly figuring out the ‘who’ part of this large-scale project. All I can say is that we can and will not settle for second-best solutions in the case of Darksiders.”

Well, it’s much better than a standard ‘no comment’ boilerplate. We’re sick of those.

ORIGINAL STORY: Over on Facebook, Madureira responded to questions regarding the status of Darksiders, stating, “Darksiders– DS is not dead!!! The new owner, Nordic seems very committed to continuing the series. As far as my involvement, I can’t say at this point. Hopefully we will all have exciting news about the franchise soon!!!!!!”

Last we heard back in August, Nordic Games was still planning what to do with Darksiders.

Via AGB.

1. Joe Anderson

Best new ever.

#1 8 months ago
  2. fihar

Those six exclamantion marks at the end shows just how serious Nordic is.

#2 8 months ago
  3. Joe Musashi

I am excite.

JM

#3 8 months ago
  4. Telepathic.Geometry

Yay! Good news. Still wanna see the badassery that ensues when all 4 of the fuckers break loose on a next gen game.

#4 8 months ago
  5. Mike W

This is excellent news, both darksiders games were excellent.

#5 8 months ago
  6. Gheritt White

If they can bring the budget down so that they only need < 1M sales before turning a profit, they may just have a chance. They should bring the total play-time down to 12 – 15 hours, it doesn't need to be longer as most people (not us, though) won't play it through to the end anyway,

#6 8 months ago
  7. Citrus raptor

For me it is. Liked the first game, but the second ruined what could have been an interesting story. Not a fan of the loot and its mechanics either.

#7 8 months ago
  8. ManuOtaku

Great news, darksiders alongside borderlands, dead space and bulletstorm were my favorites new ips last gen. I think i love darksiders because it borrows so many good things for other series(zelda,diablo,god of war,etc) in e ver neat and great overall package
    I hope If they have to cut something to lower the budget is graphics, dont aim for 1080p. keep the gameplay, artistic desing and game lenght intact.

#8 8 months ago
  9. Obernox

Awesome :D I loved Darksiders 2. It was a improvement over the first.

They should keep the looting system, i love loot!

#9 8 months ago
  10. Dark

OMG YES!!

#10 8 months ago
  11. AnklaX

YES. YES. YES.
    YEESSSSS!!!!!!!

#11 8 months ago
  12. AnklaX

@Gheritt White

Whereas we want longer game, better story and better graphics. This deserves Lords Of The Fallen Graphics. Hopefully they’ll use a top end engine like cryengine or something.

#12 8 months ago
  13. redwood

the only reason i still remember about this franchise is that a friend of mind keeps confusing it with dark souls. (he hasn’t played either).

#13 8 months ago
  14. infernalism

Awesome franchise, one of my personal favourites of all time, very reminiscent of the first Soul Reaver, as well as Zelda and Diablo (the angels vs. demons of diablo at least, and the loot system of Darksiders 2) which someone already mentioned. I certainly hope for a worthy successor to those two titles and to the continuation of the story, since DS 1 & 2 end more or less at the same time. If someone can bring Legacy of Kain from the dead as well (don’t give me Nosgoth, please), I’ll be the happiest man alive.

#14 8 months ago
  15. TERMINATOR-SSD

i freaking LOVED the first, not so much the 2nd. When the second was announced i was hoping it would continue after the ending of the first game, Not be a story that runs parallel with the first. I was soooo let down by that. But the game overall was very good.

So if they are making another, God i hope it continues after that ending from the first game.

#15 8 months ago
  16. Brenna Hillier

I’d really like to see this franchise come back, but with stronger curation from a stricter publisher than THQ. I felt DS2 suffered a bit from bloat – it was just way, way, way too long. Then again I have hundreds of games to play, maybe you guys feel differently.

#16 8 months ago
  17. drizztd74

Best news ever can’t wait for it to come out.

#17 7 months ago