InFamous: Second Son sold 1 million copies in nine days

Thursday, 10th April 2014 02:41 GMT By Brenna Hillier

InFamous: Second Son is the fastest-selling InFamous game to date, according to Sony Computer Entertainment.

infamous_second_son

In a press release, SCE Australia said global sales of InFamous: Second Son exceeded 1 million units within nine days of its March 21 western launch.

That makes it the fastest-selling InFamous title, outdoing both earlier releases on PS3.

InFamous: Second Son breaks away from the formula of previous games with a new hero, Delsin, taking over from Cole, and drawing on both smoke and neon powers instead of Cole’s electricity abilities.

It’s the first release from Sucker Punch on PlayStation 4, and the first since the developer was acquired by Sony.

InFamous: Second Son arrives on PS4 in Japan in May.

1. Dragon

Great numbers.

#1 5 months ago
  2. dazedonthemoon

As it should. Great game. Plus its kinda the only true next gen game out so far. I know I’ll catch some flak for that but it really set the bar for me.

#2 5 months ago
  3. Legendaryboss

No, its not possible. Nine days? Madness.

#3 5 months ago
  4. KineticCalvaria

Great game, although I do think for someone with superpowers that Delsin is incredibly squishy, I like my superheroes to feel invincible.

#4 5 months ago
  5. dazedonthemoon

@KineticCalvaria
    That’s actually what I liked about it. They other infamous games I blew through and barely worried about getting hurt cause I was so damn powerful. This one wasn’t hard by any means but you at least had to be a little clever when faced with a lot of enemies.

#5 5 months ago
  6. jmg24bad

Crazy how it did it on an install base under 8 million

#6 5 months ago
  7. melonbuster1

It should have sold 5 million. .they don’t have games. . That is a piss poor number. . How much has ryse sold or any xbox1 game for that matter. . Titanfall. . Second son sold no new hardware. It is boring and simple. . I ended it

#7 5 months ago
  8. marporte

@melonbuster1 Not everyone who owns an X1 is going to buy Titanfall or Ryse and not everyone who has a PS4 is going to buy infamous. I think the bigger thing to take from this is last gen had some really big titles South Park, Demon Souls 2 and 360 Titanfall for those who preordered for the 360 as well as Titanfall for X1 but infamous sold well and made records with Sony. MS had to give Titanfall for free with a month to make hardware sales because people are not buying the X1 units that has been sitting in some stores since November. Instead the people who but X1 but the titanfall bundle with a temporary price drop. If we want to go by your logic then Wii Sports is the greatest game of all time because it was bundled with the Wii and sold more games and “pushed units”. Sony Just released MLB the show 14 another exclusive franchise made by Sony for the PS4 and PS3. So thats two first party games this year and MS only had 1 third party semi exclusive that is not exclusive anymore and Kinect Sports Rivals.

#8 5 months ago
  9. melonbuster1

I have every game for both systems. . But to make a point. .not using titanfall. . Because that seems to hurt sony heads. But let’s use forza5 because sony heads try to act like Microsoft only has titanfall. Oh and btw no xbox1 was sitting in the stores since November. Ps4 is in more countries and is 100.00 less but sold 1.5 million more. But comes up short compared to the xbox1 dollar amount sold because the xbox1 is in less countries but is 100.00 more so it made more for the company. But back to fast selling software. . Why wouldn’t everyone who has a ps4 buy second son? They have no games. The ps4 is selling off of hype and hate. But the fact that second son didn’t do 3-5 million over night is sad. The lines should have been made days in advance because of the lack of software. Let’s see gears of war or halo or the next big title for the xbox1. I bet more than a million in 9 days.. just goes to show that the game is all that. . Btw like I said I have it and ended it and now back to my xbox1 stack

#9 5 months ago
  10. Panthro

@melonbuster1

lol.

#10 5 months ago
  11. marporte

@melonbuster1 That argument is still flawed it took the last of us nearly a year to sell 7 million when PS3 has exclusives nearly 10 to 1 on xbox 360. to sell that many as think second son should have one in every two persons with a PS4 to buy it. Xbox has been hpying titanfall footage when they first doing commercials so your wrong about that also. Before the Xbox came out they had titanfall and forza flashed over and over when they were advertising the system. I hardly saw anything for Ryse or Dead Rising but it was MS choice to hype that one game.

#11 5 months ago
  12. marporte

@melonbuster1 Also not everyone who has a PC or X1 loves or has to own titanfall another flaw.

#12 5 months ago
  13. zoopdeloop

“Why wouldn’t everyone who has a ps4 buy second son? They have no games

the choice of buying third party multiplatform games instead that perform better on their system ring any bells?

#13 5 months ago
  14. melonbuster1

There are more games to choose from on the xbox1 oppose to the ps4 .so let’s no compare. But the only reason the ps4 is hitting now is because Microsoft miffed the hand off from 360 to xbox1. . If Microsoft doesn’t mess up e3 then it’s game over. Because Microsoft won last generation. It was poised to win this one too early but the bad e3 messages hurt. So now it’s a fight. But the sony brand is done the system is good but not great. Best looking and playing games are on xbox1. . Not the last generation remakes.. but new ips. I was just mad that sony is hyping numbers that they know are low.. If any sony head is on this site and doesn’t own this game and did not support the brand then shame on you. Because like I said you will see any blockbuster game from Microsoft and the clan goes out to support it. So 1 million in 9 days is a loss. Should have been 3-5 million over night

#14 5 months ago
  15. marporte

@melonbuster1 MS didn’t win if we want to base it on numbers of units sold because your not basing it on quality exclusives. If you want to base it on units, Nintendo won with Sony and Microsoft nearly neck and neck despite MS having an entire year of a head start over the other two. If you want to base it off of exclusives Sony won because they had more AAA titles that were exclusive to the platform than Nintendo and MS. Sony came back from a bad E3 and 2000 Riiiiiiiiiiiidge Racer and Giant Crab jokes. MS business model and focus on kinect and failing to connect to its core audience was their downfall at the end of this past gen and thats because MS wanted to cash in on the motion control fad. MS is 0-2 for winning generations. This last one was much better than the original Xbox but it wasn’t a real generation winner. The only reason why Sony is leading is because Sony put games first no gimmicks like a tablet controller or a voice control box and charging a 100 dollars like it is going to make gaming better. Nobody liked Kinect enough for it to be with paying 100 dollars for the biggest reason to buy an X1 was Titanfall and in the end MS “conveniently” didn’t show the 360 version because it wasn’t really that much of a leap. MS makes selfish poor choices and it caught up with them. This new head of Xbox is the change MS needs but MS needs to go through the sewers like Sony did last gen when the PS3 came out. You obviously are a fanboy because MS won last generation somehow having less exclusives and tying for 2nd place in units sold and this gen MS is winning with less units sold and ahead by 1 or 2 exclusives. If we go by history and how Sony and MS operates then at the end of this generation Sony will have more AAA exclusives and a wider range of them like the last 2 console generations but MS will win because you think they should. MS has to do more than shell out money for studios to make titles that will eventually go multiplat with the sequel. MS needs REAL 1st party developers and new franchises by those developers. If MS acquires some new ones then thats awesome and I will invest in an X1 but until then I will put faith in the company that makes new IPs and invest in the gamers and is not afraid to take a risk and think outside the box.

#15 5 months ago
  16. melonbuster1

@marporte I have both systems. . Well I have all systems. Always did. I’m a fan of games. So I really don’t need to put faith behind any one company. Make a good game and I will buy it. . Vita , 3ds, wiiu it doesn’t matter. .but you my friend are a sony head. With your heart tied to them. I could care less if they make it or don’t. Same with Microsoft or Nintendo. Hell I have steam .but hey stick to your ps4. I’ll keep buying those hot games for every platform

#16 5 months ago
  17. dkpunk

And it’s still only third place in the PAL Charts this week. Interesting…

#17 5 months ago
  18. dkpunk

@dkpunk Actually strike that. 6th place. Ouch.

#18 5 months ago
  19. marporte

@melonbuster1 actually I owned all systems for every console generation with the exception of this one. Xbox coasted on halo and 360 coasted on halo and GOW. I look at my library and all I got are shooters and fable II. Even the first 2 Halos came out on PC so I could have just skipped the first xbox entirely and got nearly everything on PC. Once a new generation comes out instantly the current gen becomes dry and your forced to buy a new system with MS at the helm. If we take your original flawed complaint at what you said we can easily argue that the only reason X1 has games is because they put hardly any exclusives titles on the 360 in the past 3 years. Sony and Nintendo are working on 3 and two different systems and consoles/handelds respectively and MS only really has 1 at a time. A system is worth its salt for its GAMES like you said and Forza is awesome, Titanfall I can get on my 360 and is looking to go multiplat with future installs, Ryse was bland and Dead Rising will go multiplat because thats what Capcom does so I guess that leaves Kinect Sports Rivals and Kinect is not that improved and Killer Instinct I was never a fan. Forza and KI is really the best “true exclusives” X1 has to offer. I will stick with my 360 and wait to get an X1 when it goes down to 400 or lower because it isn’t worth it for the full price

#19 5 months ago
  20. melonbuster1

@marporte that is your right. But that’s not the argument. The argument is why didn’t second son sell 3-5 million over night. Instead of a measly 1 million in 9 days. Did you buy it? I did day 1. So if you’re upset they didn’t do 3-5 million maybe you should look at yourself or the person next to you

#20 5 months ago
  21. Michael Ireland

@melonbuster1 Because it’s a single game on a console that just launched? Figures like that would require a user attach rate of 70% – 90%, and that’s nigh impossible.

Heck, games on established machines numbering over 150 million owners barely scrape those kinds of numbers most of the time.

#21 5 months ago
  22. marporte

@melonbuster1 WOW, HOW is it Micheal gets it and you don’t. Like I said in the first statement. The last of us sold 7 million copies over a year. Most games to get to a million and is a struggle. You arguemet about lack of games but it was flawed and you argue how much a game should sell and that flawed too. I bought so many great games that didn’t even make it to a million but you want to argue it should do better based on your “unbiased” preference. I know Infamous will be great it will get more sales and those who don’t play it will get to a year or so on plus and enjoy it. What annoys me is you claim to be a gamer but you clearly come here to talk crap on how it should do better and defend MS when nobody was attacking MS. Thats classic fanboy stuff and your actions make you a hypocrite. MS talks sales figures all the time and they haven’t had much to boast about yet but they will and you can have a party about it. I will just say good for them and not nitpick their victory because thats what a fanboy does.

#22 5 months ago
  23. melonbuster1

@marporte did you buy the game.. you never answered the question. Are you part of the problem or part of the solution.

#23 5 months ago
  24. melonbuster1

@Michael Ireland did you buy the game. Did you make a line at midnight to get it? Did your friends buy it. Or are you guys cheap and want it used or will like to rent it or hope for it as a gift. . Lol. Did you purchase. We’re you part of the million or not.

#24 5 months ago
  25. melonbuster1

@melonbuster1 again I purchased it liked it and thought everyone should have it but seeing how most people don’t like that type of game 2-4 million people should have got it at least

#25 5 months ago
  26. marporte

@melonbuster1 I got a copy so how is saying disparaging remarks part of the solution. You don’t deny that what you say is MS biased even though you own both you can still have a preference. I own every system but atleast I am honest enough to say what my preference is. Are you out there telling people to buy this game or are you spending time nitpicking that the numbers are not good enough on a board. You spent more time arguing its not good enough based on a hamfisted idea that 80% of people should get every exclusive because there is no games. By that flawed logic the last GOW for 360 should have sold more than anything because it was great and the exclusives were even drier on the 360 but that is not how the real world works. But you don’t seem to argue the fact that what you say is one sided and flawed so I am done. When MS eventually has some good numbers to report I will see if you post anything about how the number should be and you probably won’t have a nice day.

#26 5 months ago
  27. melonbuster1

@marporte I like Microsoft stuff to be honest. But I urge everyone to buy this game . It may not be so far different from the past games in the series but it is a very good game none the less. I can get a but repetitive at points but it is better than knack that sold 3 million

#27 5 months ago
  28. Legendaryboss

1. That logic is extremely flawed.
    2. 5 million sales on a platform overnight, with an install base that is at 7 million is impossible. Probable.
    3. Subjective lack of games in comparison to Xbox One will not inflate sales figures of Infamous SS or any other PS4 exclusive.
    4. Knack has sold 3 million? Ha! Japan didn’t haven’t a choice up until recently. Its not at 3 million.

#28 5 months ago