inFamous: Second Son sequels could take Assassin’s Creed approach with different eras & places, says Fox

Monday, 24th March 2014 12:49 GMT By Dave Cook

inFamous: Second Son director Nate Fox has responded to the possibility of Sucker Punch simply becoming known as ‘the inFamous studio,’ stressing that it’s not necessarily a bad thing, given that future games could be set anywhere or in any time period.

The chances of us seeing more inFamous games was increased today, as it debuted at top of the UK charts, not to mention this run of middling to high review scores.

Speaking with OPM, Fox said of Sucker Punch becoming pigeon-holed, “That’s a good curse to be saddled with. inFamous is a really broad concept – an everyday person gets powers and decides if they want to use them for good or evil. That could be anybody of any age, any gender, any time, any country. It’s as wide open as superhero fiction.”

On Second Son specifically, he added, “This is Delsin’s story, it’s in a new city with new powers. His journey is the point. Cole’s story was those other games. In the future there could be other inFamous games about completely different characters.”

Come on admit it; you’d like to see superhero ninjas, wouldn’t you?

When the site asked if Fox envisioned an almost Assassin’s Creed approach to the series, he replied, “Yeah, that’s a great example. Those games have that feeling. Spiritually, like Bioshock to Bioshock Infinite, there’s not really a lot of overlap in those games but you can tell they’re the same.”

What do you make of that? Would you like to see inFamous go somewhere completely different?

Like feudal Japan? Hey, if Assassin’s Creed isn’t going to be doing it any time soon…

1. KAP

“Come on admit it; you’d like to see superhero ninjas, wouldn’t you?”

My brain is almost imploding at the thought.

#1 4 months ago
  2. Panthro

@KAP

There isn’t enough Ninja games.

I need more ninja games.

#2 4 months ago
  3. Dark

Good i want more infamous and GOW games from sony.

#3 4 months ago
  4. Legendaryboss

If they mean how the Assassin’s Creed team approach each new game then go for it however if it means yearly games no.

No one would want to be burnt out, COD Ghosts proved that with some people.

#4 4 months ago
  5. MrSec84

I’d love to see more Infamous games.
    Given what Sucker Punch has achieved this early in the PS4′s life I can only imagine what their next title in the series will be like.

I guess the sky’s the limit on what’s possible story wise in the next game.
    A game set in modern japan, with a ninja for a hero/villain, with powers that complement that character, like enhanced speed/ strength, senses, maybe some wind, gravity manipulation.

Having to take on Yakuza Conduits, mob bosses & mad scientists that are power crazed, seeking ways to strip conduits of their powers for their own ends.
    Governments doing the same to try to keep control.

I’ve always thought of this game as an American centric story, but expanding into different timelines & locations around the globe would keep the franchise from growing stale.
    Second Son seems to have a very different feel to the 1st & 2nd game, so this keeps kind of change keeps things fresh.

I’m definitely glad to read this.

#5 4 months ago
  6. salarta

Starting a new franchise or several franchises that take place in different eras is a good idea.

But using inFAMOUS to go into the past or the future is a bad idea.

If we only had one or even at most two games in the franchise, they could’ve said “we started in the present, but we can take it anywhere.” Now that they’ve had three games take place in the present or very near future, it’s part of the atmosphere and themes. Taking it outside the current time period would be like suddenly setting a Star Wars product into a distant past where nobody had space ships or light sabers, only horses (or horse equivalents) and iron swords, bows and arrows, etc.

I will, however, say that setting it in different places is perfectly open and a good idea, and it’s an avenue that’s largely untouched. Future games can provide exposure to different cultures (nowhere near as good as actually going there, but at least an interpretation of those cultures), and different perspectives.

An ideal situation would be to let the player be a female protagonist for once, though I think the game did a great job of providing a female antagonist that isn’t skanky as well as providing a Native American protagonist without that aspect of his identity transforming into a gimmick.

#6 4 months ago
  7. BrokenSpline

I am all for this. I wouldn’t mind them changing settings and characters every iteration.

#7 4 months ago
  8. Kyl Every1

@salarta Well, Infamous has always been more of an alternate reality… They could really go anywhere with it in my opinion. You make me a game that has a worls as well done as Seattle and I don’t really care what Era its in.

#8 4 months ago
  9. jmg24bad

I would like it to go into modern times or into the future (flying cars , etc..)

#9 4 months ago
  10. the Bridgeburner

I like the idea of different eras and characters, I’m craving a 30”s or 40′s pulp-ish hero/villain along the lines of Doc Savage, the Spider, or the Shadow – but with more super powers. That’d be cool.

#10 4 months ago
  11. KarmaG

I’d love to see it happen. Wasn’t a fan of how #2 went but loved #1 and am loving #3. I hope they do make more.

#11 4 months ago
  12. KarmaG

@salarta I agree 100%. No time traveling to the past. It would break the storyline of the first inFamous.

#12 4 months ago