ESO feedback results in changes to starting area, combat, sub-discount packs confirmed

Saturday, 15th March 2014 18:20 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Elder Scrolls Online is going through a final PC/Mac scale test this weekend, and game director Matt Firor felt it was an opportune time to discuss how feedback has changed the final product.

TESO_undead_art

According to a blog post on the official website, many players felt “too constrained” during the start of the game, up until they reached level 10.

Firor said the game was originally designed in this manner in order to not overwhelm new players and all them to learn the game before “dealing with more challenging situations.”

“Because ESO is about choice, we made adjustments to those opening hours of the game in response to the beta feedback,” he said. “After exiting the modified, more streamlined tutorial in Coldharbour, new characters now wake up in the first major city of their respective Alliance as opposed to being forced to go through the starter islands. ”

“If you want to go back and experience these islands, which have been re-leveled to provide a regular content experience, the option is there, but players who prefer can just start exploring the rest of Tamriel,” said Firor.

“Another piece of your feedback we’ve implemented addresses our combat system. We continue to identify ways to make melee combat feel even more substantial. In addition to many tweaks and changes to animations and audio, we’ve added player collision with NPCs, which means your character will no longer be able to run through NPC enemies. This is a frequently requested feature that we think succeeds in making melee combat more visceral and exciting.”

For online support, ZeniMax has also constructed large datacenters in North America and Europe with the former fully operational as of press time, and the latter’s datacenter will be soon. The location of the servers will not affect the gameplay experience, said Firor, as “millions of players from Europe and beyond” can play on the North American server without latency or lag problems.

Users who noted some lag issues in Cyrodiil during the last scale test, will be pleased to know the issue was caused by a bug, not the servers. All players, no matter where they were located, experienced the particular problem.

“Regardless of a player’s location or the datacenter being used, the confirmed efficiency of our platform architecture will prevent anyone from enjoying a gameplay advantage,’ Firor continued. “As both datacenters become fully operational, we will continue to add capacity to meet the demands of gamers worldwide. And just to be fully prepared, we are adding overflow servers in the event we get even more players on day one than we are now forecasting.”

Firor concluded his post noting that the team has been developing “lots of additional content” and the first post launch content update will be revealed soon. It will include the adventure zone Craglorn, which is dedicated to group-based, end-game PvE repeatable content.

The Elder Scrolls Online is slated for release on PC and Mac on April 4, and various subscription discount packs will become available at launch.

PlayStation 4 and Xbox One versions of ESO are expected in June.

1. ij 44

Shocking what can pass for acceptable in MMOs. Imagine a ‘proper’ game where you could just “run through enemys” ??!!

#1 6 months ago
  2. Sethos

This game is going to bomb, hard.

#2 6 months ago
  3. yeoung

Collision detection seems pretty standard for melee-heavy games, haven’t touched ESO at all but this seems like it shouldn’t have to be a requested feature in the first place.

#3 6 months ago
  4. The_Red

@Sethos Probably. The latest beta / impressions where a lot more positive than early reports but they were still worrying and most people found it passionless. Combined with the lack of hype for a major AAA game like this, one could indeed predict a dire situation for its release on PC and (Much later) consoles.

#4 6 months ago
  5. GrimRita

This game is painful to watch on the steams, let alone play! Animations are horrible and like others have said, this will probably bomb faster than SWTOR did(which I believe is a world record for a ‘triple a’ mmo) – 1.7 million lost subs inside 4 months from a small 2m sub base.

Wildstar will really hurt ESO when that’s due in June and I am really hoping Wildstar delivers.

#5 6 months ago
  6. treborr

The time I’ve spent on the Beta I just wasn’t impressed.

Right from the off I was confused from the faction/race/class selection. I haven’t really read much about the game prior to playing it, I was aware there was 3 factions but I thought the races were limited to a specific faction.

The class system is off. I’m a huge fan of melee style play in any RPG and when I started my ‘Dragonknight’ and realised that my ability is something that I literally cast with my hands rather than a weapon just feels wrong to me.

#6 6 months ago
  7. TheWulf

I don’t know that Wildstar is going to do much. Aesthetically it’s pretty, but it’s a WoW clone in every respect, and we all know what happens with those. WoW fans play them for a couple of months, realise that they miss their level 90 blood elf or whatever, and then head back to WoW.

Everquest Next is the only one I’m currently attributing any hope to.

#7 6 months ago
  8. heyvc

Yeah.. I don’t know.. For me what makes Skyrim great is that you can get the armor and weapon from any enemy you defeat.. I know that won’t work on MMOs but.. It killed the most immersible thing about Skyrim.
    Also I always play as Human ’cause I like to make a char like me and also as a Archer/Ranger but this game makes the archery specific skills to elves…. and that wasn’t cool.. It’s bad when you can’t be what you want to be. Just like DCUO when you can ‘BE THE HERO YOU ALWAYS WANTED’ but if you want to have ICE powers.. you HAVE to tank to find a group or if you want plant powers you HAVE to heal.. Why can’t I just be a BADASS PLANT MAN THAT ATTACKS instead of healing other people… AS for this game.. If I want a proper archer… I HAVE to be elf… if I want Human.. I can ba an archer but not as skilled. :/ This Sucks

#8 6 months ago
  9. orren

@treborr “I was aware there was 3 factions but I thought the races were limited to a specific faction. ”

- generally they are. The exception is when you preorder, you get the ‘explorer pack’ which enables you to play any race in any alliance. Also, during this last beta, it was unlocked for all players so they can try it out.

@heyvc “but this game makes the archery specific skills to elves”

- i have no idea what you mean by that. There are no archery skills specific to elves. The wood elves get a 15% bonus to the speed the archery line gains levels, but this just makes them unlock archery abilities slightly earlier. It does not make them do more damage. A redguard can be just as effective with a bow as a wood elf, just a couple of days later.

#9 6 months ago
  10. Kane Seere

“Firor also noted the team has adjusted the level curve around the cities, giving players plenty to do without running into enemies that are too powerful at the start – something I noted during my time with the beta.” How was is hard or too powerful? I was running around with my naked wood elf shooting everything with the starter bow without any problems…

#10 6 months ago