Wildstar slated for June release, pre-orders go live next week

Wednesday, 12th March 2014 13:11 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Wildstar will be released in June, NCSoft has confirmed after the date was announced bit too early yesterday.

wildstarnewheader

The MMO from Carbine Studios will launch worldwide on June 3, and as noted yesterday, pre-orders for the game will begin March 19 for £34.99 as well as through GAME and Amazon.

There are two additions being offered: the Standard and Deluxe Digital Editions.

Both editions come with 30 days of included playtime, three guest passes with seven days of playtime, and a housing décor item.

The deluxe version contains additional items: Eldan themed hoverboard, Eldan augmentation costume, special Eldan title, and Eldan colored dye for your armor.

Those who pre-order either SKU will net the following bonuses:

• Exclusive Rocket House
  • Exclusive Housing Trophy
  • Exclusive In-Game Title: “Chosen of the Progenitors”
  • Access to Beta Weekends
  • 3 Day Head Start (begins on May 31)
  • In-game Storage Bag

Pre-order trailer and screenshots showing off some of the bonuses are below.

Wildtsar is currently in beta and has attracted more than 1.4 million signups.

1. dsr

Good luck.

They gonna need it because its the most unimaginative WoW clone I ever saw. They didn’t even bother to change the aesthetics. Now you can collect 10 bear asses but… WITH HUMOR! And then grind for gear with humor. Oh joy.

#1 7 months ago
  2. KineticCalvaria

@1, Pretty much sums up my initial impressions, missed out on the betas but from what I’ve seen it’s just more of the same. Can’t wait for games like Destiny and The Division to truly shake up what the MMO genre is capable of.

Currently playing FFXIV and having some good fun with it but still it’s not that far removed from a traditional MMO and I’m pretty sure I’ll be bored by the end of the initial month. Still waiting for the next great MMO after GW1 which I adored, I have high hopes for EQN though.

#2 7 months ago
  3. BrokenSpline

Woot! Can’t wait! The wife, a good group of friends and I have already started a guild for it and anxiously awaiting to pre order next week.

#3 7 months ago
  4. Se_7_eN

@1 & 2 – Hey dudes, I am going to talk to you from a design point of view, and try not to rage or make you feel too dumb about a game you haven’t played called Wildstar.

Art Style:
    1. The cartoon art style didn’t begin with WoW, nor will it end with Wildstar… It is commonly used for MMO’s due to the games lasting years. When creating a game that you know you will be building on for years, you want an art style that can age well while other games with a realistic graphics style get improved… Thus, cartoon art styles NEVER age.

2. Wildstar is made by multiple creators of WoW, and The Burning Crusade expansion… The “WoW Clone” arguments are basically like saying “They copied themselves” when in actuality this is “The mmo we have always wanted to make”.

3. A Cartoon art style is able to be take less seriously, while some might say that’s a bad thing… Serious MMO’s are not only not able to be jumped into and enjoyed immediately, but players have a harder time coming back years later for some instant fun and have a harder time getting a feel for the game because if a game looks serious, it will be taken that way.

Wildstar in general:
    You guys most likely haven’t played it… So might be wondering “Why wouldn’t you want to take a game seriously?” Well, once you play it you will find that the only time Wildstar takes itself seriously is during Dungeons, Shiphands, Adventures, or Raids… Because that is the only real time an MMO should be serious… And that is definitely seen in Wildstar. There is humor everywhere in Wildstar, from dialogues, to enemies, to items, environment… Everywhere, it is just a fun game to play, and the player will be having a great time and laughing, with or without friends.

Systems:
    I will go out on a limb here (based on what I have seen) and say that there is more depth in Wildstar’s crafting tree’s / systems than ALL of WoW, and most other MMO’s… That doesn’t include Wildstar’s AMP system, Path system, Housing system, Action system, Challenges, Slotting system, Profession tree’s or Boss / Raid systems.

Bosses / Dungeons:
    Wildstar has over 5 types of dungeons… Some can be ran solo, or you can invite players to up the difficulty and rewards, some open entire new zones to the players and give you multiple paths (Over 36 in some cases) to choose from to finish, making the dungeon different nearly every time you run it!
    Raid bosses will also be very difficult in the fact that they have a pool of abilities, these abilities will rotate out and change with each encounter you have with them… So that means no looking online for a video tutorial on how to easily take down the raid boss.

Casuals:
    Maybe you don’t think you will like Wildstar because you are a casual player? Wildstar not only caters to casual players in the fact that it offers solo dungeons with great rewards, but the player also has a chance at great rewards with the “Challenge system”… Offering players epic items for collecting 10-30 of x item in a certain amount of time, or Racing to the top of a hill in x time.

Paths:
    Paths are a certain play style players can choose when making their character “Explorer, Scientist, Soldier, Settler”… These paths give the player access to special quests, encounters, and locations based on the path you chose.

Housing:
    At first I will admit, I thought housing was stupid and gimmicky… Once I started upgrading my house, building farms, looting housing items, I was hooked! Each housing item can offer the player different benefits from logging out inside your house. The amount of customization the player can do to their house and land is INSANE. You can put crafting tables, farms (Herbalism) Mining nodes, A hobo train full of bums… Anything, on your land.

Wildstar in short is incredible… There is SOOOo much content in the game that it is almost overwhelming. While the game might start a little slow (Up to level 10 feels like the tutorial), it does it to get you ready for the real game.
    While other MMO’s are coming out around the same time as Wildstar, and you can make the “WoW clone” argument because of the art style… I strongly believe this is the one I think deserves the attention. It not only offers new content that can’t be found or compared to in any other game, but it isn’t based on an old franchise that you will constantly compare it to. There is a SHITLOAD to do and I can almost guarantee you will have fun doing it.

@2 – Destiny and The Division to shake things up… You should check out Borderlands and remove the humor for Destiny, or check out The Secret World, and remove all things interesting for The Division… They look good graphically, but they won’t last you more than a year.

#4 7 months ago
  5. Arcnail

I have played it, and at least combat wise I found it refreshing, and very non WoW like.

As mentioned above, the graphics need to be stylized for longevity. Look at EQ Next as well.

I still did have a problem with the game in that there was a whole lotta polish needed. Grouping for questing was horrible, and found it was just easier to play solo (not very mmo’ish).

That and while some of the humor was funny, it’s really just a lot I found. Does every single quest, NPC and such need to be quirky and funny?

And oh god, I dread listening to that dude talk when you level up. I might not buy the game just cause of that. I’m not 12 here…

#5 7 months ago
  6. GrimRita

I will probably get this, despite not being in beta :( – The art style does nothing for me, but neither did SWTOR but I got through that. Hopefully Wildstar wont be as crap as SWTOR and actually offer pvp’ers something different with those war plots.

Just in time for my birthday as well…but only 3 day head start…tight!

#6 7 months ago
  7. TheWulf

It always astounds me that people can’t tell animation styles apart because they’re animation. To me, not being able to tell Wildstar from WoW is like not being able to tell the difference between Naruto and the Lion King, or Dexter’s Laboratory and Avatar: The Last Airbender.

WoW’s style has an ugly sort of angular, chunky approach which I don’t find that appealing. It kind of reminds me of the Crash Bandicoot series in a way, and it’s all very exaggerated, in your face, and kool-aid. And there’s a surprising amount of stuff in there that’s still just gouraud shading with no detail at all.

Wildstar, on the other hand, reminds me more of the PS2 era of platforming, specifically titles like Jak & Daxter, Sly Cooper, and most notably, Ratchet & Clank. They wear their inspirations on their sleeves, and it’s actually a much better quality of aesthetic than WoW has, and not just because of the fidelity, but more because Wildstar is actually far less exaggerated, in yo face, and kool-aid about things.

By comparison, WoW tends to be… chunkier and flatter. It almost reminds me of very simple cartoons like Dexter’s Laboratory and The Regular Show. Wildstar tends to care more about its environments having personality, so they tend to put more emphasis on character rather than simplicity.

I mean, really, the difference between this and this should be fairly obvious.

It’s worth saying that I strongly dislike Wildstar on the grounds of it being a grindfest designed to addict people in the absence of actually having any fun. A friend and I were bored out of our minds within the first our — we had more fun with random Japanese free-to-play MMOs like Eden Eternal than we had with Wildstar. That’s depressing.

But despite how I feel about Wildstar as a game, I will stand up for it aesthetically. I do find its aesthetics nice, it’s just the ‘game’ part that’s completely intolerable. Shame, really.

#7 7 months ago