The Last Guardian “absolutely in the mix”, “really cool” that fans are interested – Rohde

Wednesday, 12th March 2014 23:16 GMT By Brenna Hillier

The Last Guardian is still happening, according to SCE Worldwide Studios PlayStation software product development head Scott Rohde.

the_last_guardian

Speaking to IGN, Rohde refused to comment on rumours that the game has moved from its original platform of PS3 to PS4, or discuss which Worldwide Studios teams are working on the project.

“[I'm] not going to announce what platform it’s coming on, who’s working on it, who’s involved,” he said.

“But that is still a title that’s absolutely in the mix at Worldwide Studios. That’s the most you’re gonna get.”

Rohde said that SCE remains committed to the project, partially because fans are so passionate about it.

“We want to make great games. And when we see that the public is so interested in a specific game, of course that drives us to want to complete that game. But it also drives us to want to make it great. We would not want to ship that game if we don’t think it’s great,” he said.

“I love that people are still interested in it. That’s an honour to us. That’s not just me spinning. It’s really cool that people are still interested in it, and we’re trying to make the best thing we can out of The Last Guardian.”

The Last Guardian is the third game from Team Ico, following Ico and Shadow of the Colossus, It has been in the works for something like eight years, during which time Team Ico leader and chief creative Fumito Ueda has resigned – although he did stick with the project as a contractor.

In 2012, SCE Worldwide Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida said multiple teams including SCE Santa Monica Studios had been brought in to consult on The Last Guardian, which was experiencing technical difficulties. SCE Santa Monica later said the comment was misquoted, and that it is not working on The Last Guardian.

As of August last year, Ueda said the team is working hard but The Last Guardian is not a priority at Sony.

Combining elements of both former Team ICO games, The Last Guardian has players guiding a huge beast through what looks like a huge castle complex. It was to have been Team Ico’s first PS3 game. It looked amazing.

1. Luciferous

I’m not believing a word of it until i have the game in my PS4 and I’m at least an hour in to the game.

#1 10 months ago
  2. Telepathic.Geometry

What, so 40 minutes in, while feeding your cat-dragon, you’ll still doubt that it’s real? XD /inception

#2 10 months ago
  3. CharlesLupula

I still am holding out hope that they’ll make it the final first party PS3 game, instead of a PS4 title.

#3 10 months ago
  4. Dragon

Just make a great game. I will play it whenever it launches, but I never hold my breath for any game, there are so many good ones out there.

#4 10 months ago
  5. Stardog

I’m not buying a PS4 for it (already did that with the PS3), so they better released a lower graphics version for PS3.

#5 10 months ago
  6. deathm00n

When this game finally gets out it will be a let down for everyone. Everyone raised their expectations so high that the game will not deliver all of them for sure. And what was so amazing about it when it was announced was an smart companion AI, and at the time there was nothing like it, now we already have The Last of Us and Bioshock Infinite, so there’s apparent innovation in The Last Guardian.

#6 10 months ago
  7. Panthro

@deathm00n

I’m not that ‘hyped’ for it.

I am looking forward to eventually playing it though, Shadow and Ico are amazing so I have faith this will deliver, maybe to other peoples expectations it wont but that’s there problem.

#7 10 months ago
  8. Panthro

@CharlesLupula

I feel the opposite way, I hope this is a PS4 exclusive… that way this will be the first game I feel like I actually want to buy for it, the PS4 is dead to me for now until something actually decent comes along.
    It can sit under my TV and choke on dust for all I care, it has brought nothing but boredom.

#8 10 months ago