Metal Gear Solid 5: Ground Zeroes price change, early adopter DLC announced

Tuesday, 25th February 2014 14:03 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Konami has reduced the price for next-gen Metal Gear Solid 5: Ground Zeroes from £39.99 to £29.99.

metal_gear_solid_5_ground_zeroes

Back in November it was reported the PS4 and Xbox One versions would cost £29.99, but a Konami representative has told VG247 the game always had a suggested retail price of £39.99 despite the price listed by various retailers.

The change in price, according to the firm, matches the digital price for PS4 and Xbox One as well as the retail pricing for the physical editions for the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 systems.

The digital version of the game for the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 will remain £19.99.

Konami said the price change “aims to provide as many people as possible an opportunity to experience” Kojima Productions’ new FOX Engine and “the first installment in the two-part MGS5 experience.”

Ground Zeroes includes the main mission alongside five Side Ops.

“All missions include elements such as ‘Trial Records,’ where players can compete against each other online,” said Hideo Kojima.

“This is not a linear game like the past. Ground Zeroes offers freedom of approach & play style, which we hope players will enjoy over and over again without boring [them].

“I believe people will be satisfied with the ‘Play Time’ of GZ and will not stress the ‘Clear Time,’ which is a standard for linear games.”

Those who buy the game early through digital or retail will, for a limited time, receive exclusive DLC for The Phantom Pain.

Ground Zeroes purchasers can also unlock content which can be used in The Phantom Pain: prisoners of war and VIPs rescued will be added to the Mother Base staff in The Phantom Pain which will give “Ground Zeroes players an early in-game advantage,” as the Mother Base plays a “central role in The Phantom Pain.”

Character skins will also carry over.

Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain, the second and final part, will launch on both current and next-gen systems at a later date.

MGS5: Ground Zeroes is out March 18 in North America and March 20 in Europe.

1. VIP0R

How much was the original price, £34.99?

#1 2 months ago
  2. slk486

Amazon has had it at £30 for weeks.

#2 2 months ago
  3. themadjock

I think you mean March Steph

#3 2 months ago
  4. KAP

This is good.. least Konami sees there mistakes, and fix it. kinda.

#4 2 months ago
  5. themadjock

and shopto have it for £23 on PS4

#5 2 months ago
  6. Stephany Nunneley

Yes I do. I am constantly updating this post. Hit refresh please.

#6 2 months ago
  7. tezzer1985

I still think it’s expensive, it should be £20

#7 2 months ago
  8. Stephany Nunneley

“A Konami representative has told VG247 the game always had a suggested retail price of £39.99 despite the price listed by various retailers.”

Post updated.

#8 2 months ago
  9. jomac3db

I think so too. $30 is too much

#9 2 months ago
  10. Hcw87

30 bucks for a demo?

#10 2 months ago
  11. salarta

Okay, now THIS is a little fishy.

Previously the price difference between physical and digital could be explained as the cost of a physical medium for publish to shipping to physical retailers needing to make a profit. If they can drop it by this much, it raises questions on whether it’s because they found a way to cut costs, they decided to take a financial blow where they actually lose money on this game in order to preserve future game sales, or if they inflated the price out of a desire for more money.

However, I distinctly recall that Amazon had it at $30 or $40 (pretty sure the former, but not completely sure) when people were claiming that the game cost $10 more than what Amazon had listed. So there may not actually be a price change, at least in the U.S.

#11 2 months ago
  12. salarta

Also, I get the impression from comments some people are making that they won’t be satisfied until the game is free or so cheap it practically is free, regardless of how much the game cost and how much content is actually in it.

And I think a lot of that is based on how one and only one group of people that previewed the game only played the main campaign and didn’t bother to do any of the already proven to be very extensive side missions.

#12 2 months ago
  13. Hcw87

It has more to do with them taking the time out of the main development to release a _VERY_ small portion of the game just to make some quick cash. They should have baked it into the main game instead, and maybe cut down the release date a few months.

Also where is the ”proven extensive sidemissions”? I don’t even remember a single MGS game with sidemissions (didn’t play peacewalker).

#13 2 months ago
  14. Legendaryboss

Well, i’m still on last gen so this doesn’t affect me and the differences aren’t bad. EA DLC?
    Main Mission , 5 Side Ops, Trial Records & Replayability for £22.00 (this is what Amazon UK had when i checked). I think i can deal with that.

#14 2 months ago
  15. jason9540

@themadjock Yh, I just bought it from shopto yesterday :) good deal, and if you pre-order and if don’t get your game on day1 they will compensate you with £5 :)

#15 2 months ago
  16. lolatfanboys

@11 salarta do you know what the word distinctively means? Either you are sure or not, but distinctively and not being sure don´t go together.

Anyway I think 20€ would be a good price for the gameplay I can get out of it. I will be trying a lot of stuff with that pre final Game. I consider it a payback for all the hundreds upon hundreds of playtime I had with MGS 1-4 that cost the same amount of money any shitty 6h game ever offered. Anything really to make big boss come back to live again.

#16 2 months ago