The Order: 1886 gameplay videos show cover shooting and quick-time events

Tuesday, 18th February 2014 13:00 GMT By Matt Martin

Ready at Dawn’s Ru Weerasuriya explains the shift from interactive cutscenes to QTEs to third-person shooting in these three gameplay reveals.

Global Exclusive 1_1392377334

Set in a steampunk 19th Century London, the third-person shooter charges players with hunting down half-breeds and keeping the peace in a civilian uprising, using cover-based shooting, quick-time events and interactive cutscenes. You can read out early impressions here, and watch the debut gameplay reveal below.

1. freedoms_stain

Usually I’m not a fan of QTE’s, but if they actually give you some choices I might be swayed.

#1 7 months ago
  2. absolutezero

The first thing that pops into my head when I saw how close the camera was to the players back and his position on the screen was not anything from the past generation but instead Resident Evil 4. The more I see of this game the more I think its taken alot from RE4. Which is a good thing, a very good thing.

#2 7 months ago
  3. jomac3db

I’m intrigued. This game actually looks good.

#3 7 months ago
  4. mistermogul

Wasn’t that bothered about this before today but now it’s definitely on my watch list!

#4 7 months ago
  5. juggy

my most anticipated game this year, looks amazing

#5 7 months ago
  6. The_Red

Visuals and atmosphere are amazing but after multiple views, the gameplay has got me worried a bit. Hopefully there is a lot more to this that just QTE and cover-based shooting.

#6 7 months ago
  7. Dragon

Looks great and ticks all boxes for me.

#7 7 months ago
  8. Erthazus

Sorry. But generic at best with simple QTE’s.

#8 7 months ago
  9. mistermogul

@Erthazus – Is that your real opinion or the your opinion as it’s not coming to PC?

#9 7 months ago
  10. Joe Musashi

@9 There’s a difference?

JM

#10 7 months ago
  11. livewired500

Am I the only one that was completely turned off by the gameplay? The more I learn and see about this game, the less interest I have in it. And the less I’m interested in getting a PS4. Doesn’t help that I hate QTE’s (except in spectacle fighters where they belong). But the shooting they showed looked bland and shooting humans in the back no less.

Now I’m not against cinematic games. I liked Max Payne 3 and have played cutscene heavy RPGs since I can remember. But the gameplay in this reveal is just boring.

#11 7 months ago
  12. mistermogul

@Joe Musashi – lol, good point!

#12 7 months ago
  13. Meatball

Holy machineguns with a steampunk reskin, Batman! That gameplay looks generic and boring as balls. My interest in this game (and in buying a PS4) was already near freezing, but it might have dipped into the sub-zero range now. Ah well, the longer I don’t feel like buying a PS4, the more money I have to spend when I finally do. Let’s just hope it gets enough interesting games worth spending money on at some point, because I’m currently not feeling at all…

#13 7 months ago
  14. Agt_Pendergast

@livewired500 I’m with you. Hearing about this being a ‘filmic’ experience or whatever has made me lose interest. But this is where games seem to be heading. I suppose it’s selling points are the atmosphere and setting.

#14 7 months ago