Bleszinski: “I’ll never make another disc-based game for the rest of my career”

Tuesday, 18th February 2014 09:29 GMT By Dave Cook

Cliff Bleszinski has vowed to never make a disc-based game for the rest of his career, and he’s also deemed E3 and GameInformer reveals to be “dead.”

Speaking with Gamastura, Bleszinski began, “I’m incredibly happy right now. I’m worried if I’ll be miserable enough to make something compelling again.”

It follows Bleszinski posting concept art for what appears to be his next project, which is currently shrouded in secrecy.

Reflecting on his tenure at Epic Games and his involvement with Gears of War, he continued, “As far as [Gears], at the end of the day, you’re shooting fucking lizard-men in the fucking face with a fucking chainsaw gun. It didn’t wind up what I’d hoped; I’d pitched it as ‘Band of Brothers with monsters’ — you know Band of Brothers is well-done and emotional, telling the story of the Greatest Generation and what they did in the war.

“Yet somehow we landed on ‘Predator’… the characters being all ‘buff and manly’, I’d never planned on that. You can’t plan for that,” he says. “With game development, it’s like doing a Ouija board. With [dialog barks] it gets easy to slip into Schwarzenegger territory.”

He added, “I don’t want Gears to be my defining legacy. At the end of the day, it’s known for being a fun, fantastic franchise. But I’d like to think there’s more to my creativity than that.”

Bleszinski has yet to reveal his new game, but one thing is for sure, he won’t be doing it via E3 or GameInformer. It also won’t come on a disc, he says, “The whole ‘old guard,’ where you get a Game Informer cover and an E3 reveal, is dead. I’ll never make another disc-based game for the rest of my career, and [at E3] they’re trying to woo buyers from Target and Walmart?”

What do you make of Bleszinski’s thoughts? Let us know below.

1. polygem

now scratch disc based and everyone is happy

#1 10 months ago
  2. TD_Monstrous69

I do agree with him a bit on the conversation of old media (E3 and publication) vs. new media (online), but at this point, yeah put up or shut the fuck up, Clif Bleszinski! Because all I’ve seen from you since you left Epic are some screenshots, and all I’ve heard is nothing but talk, and as the old saying goes, talk is cheap.

#2 10 months ago
  3. Edo

Nobody cares,go away.

#3 10 months ago
  4. kingy

I did like gears but I think he talks too much and is full of himself like TD_Monstrous69 said show something or shut up coz if what you show is crap your going to look like a ass

#4 10 months ago
  5. polygem

@TD_Monstrous69

me too. i want to go fully digital. i love the idea and i realy hope we´re getting there soon.
    cliffy is one of those guys who really cannot look beyond his own nose though. i remember the x1 drm discussion and his position, he really did not understand (or refused to) that, as they have planned it, it had A LOT of downsides for the consumer. it was just a totally fucked up, insanely arrogant business model.
    i want to embrace digital. if this industry wants it, it has to understand that it has to give something back. you can´t feed people with shit and expect them to say thank you. as soon as this arrogance stops and they try to make it profitable for them and fairer for the consumer at the same time, it will work like a charm. steam is a modell to look at if you want people to buy more stuff digital…it can still improve from there.

#5 10 months ago
  6. jmg24bad

This dude is fuck in crazy hahaha. He is like dome hipster hating on everything.

#6 10 months ago
  7. absolutezero

CliffyB’s over-riding legacy will be Twitter posts.

Its suitable.

#7 10 months ago
  8. Sadismek

I’m not looking forward to going fully digital. I love Steam and all, but there’s nothing compared to holding that box in your hand, shelving it near the others, taking a sneak peak in that shiny artbook or polish that statue with your fav’ character. I’d rather collect all that, than just some random codes in a digital library.

I’m going to admire my small, humble collection, I’m getting nostalgic here :).

#8 10 months ago
  9. TheWulf

Sounds like he’s on completely the right track. The whole mainstream AAA thing just blends into this homogeneous mush after a while, and none of it is memorable.

When I run ‘memorable game’ through my neural databases, what I get back are indie games, efforts by small developers, random Asian stuff that lands on the PC, and AAA games made by developers that died shortly after because what they made was too unique to exist in the AAA space.

The AAA space is kind of like soylent green.

Your game has to be soylent green or the masses won’t consume it, so if it tastes like soylent green, but not enough, they’ll kick up a fuss and just turn back to their usual diet. They want the same nutrient paste, day in, day out. What Cliffy is realising, here, is that Gears of War was part of that. It wasn’t at all memorable.

It’s not the kind of game that’s going to end up in a museum fifty years down the road. Instead, it’ll just exist in archives of rarely touched AAA games. I feel that the AAA game today is the movie license of yesteryear.

You boot up your Amiga emulator for an interesting retro experience, you don’t boot it up to play Terminator 2. No one does.

The thing is, Terminator 2 seemed great back in the day, I’m sure, but now we’re so much older, and so much wiser. And I’m a good amount of both of those, so I feel I’m a little bit ahead of the curve. I want my gaming experiences to be novel, imaginative, clever, characterful, and unusual. I want these experiences to be crafted by people who’re passionate about their work.

Cliffy hasn’t been passionate about anything but his money for the longest time, now. But maybe, just maybe, he’s thinking that money isn’t quite as important as leaving a legacy. Maybe he doesn’t want to be remembered as a suit-encrusted exec whoe hand was always on the soylent green crank.

Maybe. I’m laughing on the inside, I’ll admit, so I’ll believe it when I see it. I don’t think that Cliffy can turn away from AAA, even if he wanted to, he’s too addicted to the homogeneous mush.

But we’ll see, we’ll see.

It’d really be something if he could, though.

#9 10 months ago
  10. TheWulf

That stuff exists anyway, you don’t need the game as a physical product for tha–oh gods I wonder if there’s a Blade Wolf figurine going to PlayAsia brb

#10 10 months ago
  11. Panthro

I just want the guy to stay away from the news for a while.

He gets on my nerves, he just comes across as a whiny baby who never shuts up.

Other than that, yeah… discs are evil and anyone who buys them deserves to be hung from a rooftop while having scolding hot potatoes thrown off them by the digital master race below.

#11 10 months ago
  12. fearmonkey

Thats fine Cliffy, just don’t be so loud mouthed and boisterous about everything. I still haven’t forgotten you supported the Xbox One DRM.

#12 10 months ago
  13. salarta

… You don’t have to be miserable to make something compelling. I’m sure he was sort of joking, but I still think it needs to be said that there’s a lot of things that can be made that don’t involve drama and misery. Comedy exists for a reason.

I don’t think it’s possible for Gears of War to not be Bleszinski’s defining legacy, but that doesn’t mean he can’t make other great things that are also renowned and meaningful. Alan Moore may be most famous for Watchmen, but he also has V For Vendetta and a lot of other comic work that’s thought of very highly, and he’s still making a lot of new stuff.

Not making another disc-based game is pretty silly to make a definitive statement on. Times change, and even if they don’t, Disc guarantees future access in physical form if the electronic is no longer available due to legal or copyright issues, or just plain servers being taken down and whatnot with the passing of time. There are games for PS3 that are not available for download on the PS4 or PC, for example, meaning access will be lost when the servers go down if it’s not made available some other way.

I mean, if he wants to run the risk of making something that nobody can play 20-30 years from now, that’s his choice.

#13 10 months ago
  14. Panthro

@salarta

He probably means on digital on PC…

If so whatever he makes will live on forever in the digital space probably more so than it would physically, like everything else does.

It is easier for me to go find a ROM for Super Mario 3 than to go to the weird for example.

#14 10 months ago
  15. Panthro

@salarta

weird shops in town which would sell them*

NEED AN EDIT BUTTON

add that to endless backwards compatibility on PC, if I wanted to find a copy of God Of War III in the future I would have to find the game and also a console to play it on if I still don’t have my PS3.

#15 10 months ago
  16. salarta

@Panthro Yes, but a ROM of Super Mario 3 comes as a result of someone ripping the contents of a physical copy of the game. Super Mario 3 is also a bad example for the situation I’m referring to because it’s one of the more popular entries in one of the most popular franchises of the industry. It’s guaranteed to be constantly reused and put out there for people to buy and download over and over again.

That may not be the case for future games for Bleszinski. Now if we’re talking purely digital AND lacking DRM and available for download on the open web (rather than through a client like Steam), then sure, maybe it’ll be available essentially forever. Enough people may have downloaded it, and be willing to pass it along to others in the future, for the game to stick around.

But if it’s a game tied down with DRM or limited to clients such as Steam? Huge risk. Games get put out on new devices constantly IF they reach popular mass to where companies can trust it’ll keep making them money. Being high quality is not the the deciding factor, how much money it makes is. So, if the game isn’t seen as a moneymaker, then the company with ownership of the IP doesn’t put resources into making it functional and available on new services. As such, access is restricted to Steam, PS4, whatever it was already on. Then companies go under or servers get taken down, and any games that weren’t big enough hits to get constantly reused are no longer available. Except, optimistically, to people that downloaded it before. Until those devices stop working. And even in that case, it’s only the people that already had it downloaded that have access.

Let’s be frank here. This is Bleszinski. He’s a man that just argued for how the XBox One absolutely “needed” the restrictions it had in mind last year as a way to prevent people from buying used games. Unless someone above him demands otherwise, anything he puts out is going to include DRM or some other type of restriction. He would do this with discs too, but at least with a disc, you can always get back into it some way. There’s nothing you can do if your access is cut off by not being able to access the servers that used to provide the game.

#16 10 months ago