Sections

Kingdom Come: Deliverance funded on Kickstarter, first episode due December 2015

Friday, 24th January 2014 09:42 GMT By Dave Cook

Kingdom Come: Deliverance has been successfully funded on Kickstarter. Helmed by former Mafia 2 developers, the project wouldn’t have been made if funding campaign had failed. The first of three episodes will now launch in December 2015.

We reported on the episodic nature of Kingdom Come: Deliverance yesterday, along with confirmation that a private Czech investor has taken interest in the project. Eurogamer reports that the Kickstarter campaign was essential to convincing the mysterious person that the medieval RPG was worth investing in. The campaign worked and as they say, it’s on!

The Kingdom Come: Deliverance Kickstarter is now sitting at $326,169, and is now thundering past its $300,000 goal with 27 days of funding left.

What do you make of Kingdom Come: Deliverance? Let us know below.

Breaking news

10 Comments

Sign in to post a comment.

  1. MrWaffles

    Give these guys more money! This game can’t be made quickly enough

    #1 6 months ago
  2. SplatteredHouse

    In terms of this game I think it is a promisingly exciting prospect!
    One nice/important detail which I’m pleased that they had the awareness to clarify on their own (given the involvement of a major outside investor and before any misunderstanding) is that any monies raised above their goal target will remain with the developer, and will go towards enhancing and enriching the game.

    #2 6 months ago
  3. Moonwalker1982

    But does this automatically mean they found a publisher then?

    #3 6 months ago
  4. SplatteredHouse

    @3 Their publishing plans are unclear. It has all the hallmarks of a purely indie effort, though. (They already took the pitch to various publishers, who…Didn’t think a market was there. See: Why Kickstarter section of the kickstarter campaign page for more.) But, what they do have now, in addition to whatever they make from the Kickstarter after the goal target, is an investor willing to put in the belief and cash to finance the project :)

    To create the work featured in their first gameplay trailer, the work to date, that Warhorse Studios put in itself before the KS – took nearly 1.5 million usd to make (funds came from an initial investor).

    #4 6 months ago
  5. DreamCleaver

    Dave, it’s £ not $. Wanted to point that out.

    #5 6 months ago
  6. UuBuU

    @4 I kind of wish they’d gone the kickstarter route to begin with instead of seeking any funds from an investor, who is probably responsible for this game going multiplatform instead of being a PC exclusive, along with various other compromises.

    You say it has all the hallmarks of a purely indie effort, but I can see the hallmarks of an investor having a big say in the development to ensure that it sells.

    #6 6 months ago
  7. Bomba Luigi

    This Kickstarter Campaing is way too strange for me to invest money. Putting up a Goal that is 10% of what they need is… I don’t know, why should I give a money to found 10% of a Game that maybe will never get the other 90% it needs?
    Its all about trust when it comes to Kickstarter, and as much as I would like a Game like that I have too many doubts here to make a gamble with my Money.

    #7 6 months ago
  8. SplatteredHouse

    They’re confident enough to build a detailed pitch, introduce themselves and show a nicely built bit of groundwork. Are they savvy enough to be willing to stake their rep and everything on the investor’s ability to deliver. As you say, KS is founded on taking a punt if you are a backer. As they point out, though, without the evidence that the publishers were mistaken to underestimate the demand for the game to be built – there simply would be no game, and they would have had to bow to so-called conventional wisdom. They believed in what they were doing enough to go this far. But, I can completely understand some being cautious and wouldn’t blame them.

    #8 6 months ago
  9. SplatteredHouse

    An interesting update has appeared giving a detailed look into the process that the studio went through in trying to attract support and funding to their game. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1294225970/kingdom-come-deliverance/posts/728309
    (Update 3 there) also some new funding tiers and a set of stretch goals announced.

    #9 6 months ago
  10. Uncontested

    @7 They’ve already shattered their goal by 186,000 pound sterling. The point of the KS was to prove to their investor that there was a market for the game so that the investor was confident in continuing to fund the game. (which they had already done to the tune of 1.5 million dollars)

    P.S. They really need to change this article.. they’ve raised $804850.00 at the moment if we’re talking dollars like the article lists it as…

    #10 6 months ago