The Elder Scrolls Online’s voice cast is a star-studded affair

Thursday, 23rd January 2014 15:24 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

The Elder Scrolls Online’s voice cast as been announced by Bethesda, and it includes such notables as John Cleese, Malcolm McDowell and the lovely Kate Beckinsale.

Others include Bill Nighy, Alfred Molina, Michael Gambon and Wonder Woman herself, Lynda Carter returns to the Elder Scrolls series to reprise her role from Skyrim.

• John Cleese plays Cadwell a mad lost soul.
  • Bill Nighy portrays High King Emeric, a merchant prince.
  • Kate Beckinsale is Queen Ayrenn, the leader of the Aldmeri Dominion and Queen of the High Elves.
  • Alfred Molina takes on the role of wily old wizard and politician Abnur Tharn, head of the Empire’s Elder Council.
  • Lynda Carter plays Azura, the Daedric Princess of Dusk and Dawn from Skyrim.
  • Michael Gambon voices The Prophet, a mysterious blind man who guides the player through their journey to retrieve their soul.
  • Malcolm McDowell plays the key figure Molag Bal, the evil Daedric god.
  • Peter Stormare plays Jorunn the Skald King.

Jim Ward (Resident Evil 4), Jennifer Hale (Mass Effect) and Kevin Michael Richardson (Ratchet & Clank) round out the supporting cast.

The Elder Scrolls Online arrives on April 4 for PC and Mac and in June for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.

1. Pytox

john cleese lol :D

#1 7 months ago
  2. El_MUERkO

What chance Kate Beckinsale in Elf regalia for promotion?

fapfapfap

#2 7 months ago
  3. Darkfield

Nice cast, especially Alfred Molina and Kate Bekinsale.

#3 7 months ago
  4. schrodinger_cat

I’m so hyped, can’t wait to play ESO…
    Although, I’ll probably wait to PS4 release

#4 7 months ago
  5. fearmonkey

Malcom as Molag Bal is fitting :)

#5 7 months ago
  6. revolting

Whatever your feelings are about the game (after the stress test weekend, personally I’m cautiously optimistic), that is an undeniably impressive line up.

#6 7 months ago
  7. Citrus raptor

Those characters feel way more Fable than they do Elder Scrolls.

#7 7 months ago
  8. TheWulf

This is actually one thing I don’t like about mainstream games. And I have to admit, MMOs and fantasy games have always suffered with this the worst.

You have these people with grand characteristics — body language, facial features, their build, and so on. All of those features are ignored in favour of creating generic fantasy characters. It’s bizarre to hear the booming voice of someone with a bit of a gut coming from a lanky person to whom that voice doesn’t seem to belong.

Fantasy really has the Aryan (uniformed humanity) problem more than anything else. I have many reasons why I moved away from fantasy to sci-fantasy and sci-fi, and that’s up there with the best of them. I don’t care for all of these generic characters.

When Disney can make a hyena look like Whoopi Goldberg, I don’t think it would be really that hard to actually include more visual variety between characters. They all look so, so much the same.

Sigh. I really don’t like fantasy any more, I just don’t like what it’s become. It used to be about wonder, imagination, and delight. ‘Limitations’ wasn’t a word the genre knew. Now it’s all about the slaughter, the wars, the ‘gear,’ the generic aryan and featureless people, the ‘Can love bloom on the battlefield, Snake?‘ romance writing which is as shonky as it is awkward and embarrassing, the boring magic with far too many rules (how did we make MAGIC boring?), the consistently samey and unimaginative settings…

I mean, really, why do I wonder about this? When the everything else is so thoroughly safe and generic, why would the characters not be?

I’m sorry, fantasy, we can’t be friends any more.

#8 7 months ago
  9. The_Red

Who the hell cares about celebrity cast in a freaking MMO? Having them in singleplayer games is already annoying by itself since there are voice actors that can do a much better work in realm of game voice acting but no… Game companies have to go the DreamWorks animation route and get more celebs.

Right now, there is no difference between ESO and a crappy DW animation like Shark Tale.

#9 7 months ago