Plants Vs Zombies: Garden Warfare exclusivity on Xbox One was a “natural migration,” says PopCap

Wednesday, 27th November 2013 12:18 GMT By Dave Cook

It follows this Plants Vs Zombies: Garden Warfare trailer that introduces the four player classes.

Speaking with OXM, Lindley said, “It was kind of interesting. We have a lot of experience with the Xbox platforms, and our primary development platforms at first were the Xbox 360 and PC.

“And I think as EA’s relationship with Microsoft has grown and improved, it was just a natural migration for us to go from PC and Xbox 360 to Xbox One. And it’s a great piece of hardware, it’s given us the opportunity to make the game look incredible, run at a great frame rate and just visually be really impressive.”

When asked if Garden Warfare was conceived for other platforms originally, Lindley added, “It didn’t really come about that way. We’d always envisaged ourselves as a very focused game, and I think the relationship with Microsoft just made it a convenient place to start. Additionally, we’re kind of a small team. We’re not really staffed to just launch on five or six platforms at once, so we really needed to focus on a couple of platforms to start with, and then the relationship with Microsoft has made those choices easier for us.”

The game’s out 20th February, 2014 on Xbox 360 and Xbox One.

1. manamana

“natural migration” of Microtransactions, there fixed it.

Edit: plus – Microsoft has obviously bought into a timed exclusive, as it’s obvious, that this game will appear on other plattforms, such as PC, Mac, PS4, Vita and iPad … just to name a fiew ;-)

#1 8 months ago
  2. Pytox

soon you can rename microsoft to microtrans or smth :p

#2 8 months ago
  3. tezzer1985

If I remember correctly, PopCap games last gen, where always released first on 360 then to PS3, cause I owned Peggle, Zuma all on the 360, way before they came to PS3.

And for the trolls, I know Popcap bring everything to PC first

#3 8 months ago
  4. DrDamn

It was advertised as “Exclusively first on Xbox” in that X1 sizzle reel a week or so ago. So definitely is a timed exclusive. What additional platforms it will come to is not known though.

#4 8 months ago
  5. manamana

If not wrong, then at least PS4 confirmed: http://bbs2.ruliweb.daum.net/gaia/do/ruliweb/default/ps/93/read?articleId=1256009&bbsId=G003&itemId=1&pageIndex=1

#5 8 months ago
  6. Major Mayhem 70

The very first sentence reads “Plants Vs Zombies: Garden Warfare is a timed-exclusive on Xbox One, and PopCap Games producer Brian Lindley has shed light on the relationship between the developer and Microsoft in a new interview.”
    I might be wrong here, but I think that this game is a timed exclusive. I don’t know why I think this but I just do….

#6 8 months ago
  7. Ireland Michael

PR bullcrap.

Quit shoveling shit down your consumer’s throat, please.

#7 8 months ago
  8. xxJPRACERxx

I wish they would release PvZ 2 for consoles. I have a tablet but I don’t play on it.

#8 8 months ago
  9. derpachu

@7 how is that bullcrap?

#9 8 months ago
  10. Ireland Michael

@9 It’s meaningless public relations waffling.

Money exchanged hands, the game gets a degree of exclusivity. There is no other reason for exclusivity than that. It has absolutely nothing to do with the hardware.

#10 8 months ago
  11. fearmonkey

I was looking forward to getting this game for PS4, but since EA is taking money from MS to make stuff exclusive, I think I will just wait and buy it used for PS4 when its released, that way EA gets none of my money.

I am starting to hate EA again, I hated them when the screwed over the Dreamcast, I hated them when they screwed over he original Xbox (and MS capitulated and gave up their Sports label, losing Rallysport and Links Golf which were better games than what EA was dealing out), I hated them for becoming a monopoly on NFL games, and now I am hating them for taking money from MS for timed exclusives and taking Titanfall from PS4 (Not that I am really eager for it, but I know others were).

If EA pulls this stuff with Mass Effect or Dragon Age series games, I would literally be done with EA.

#11 8 months ago
  12. derpachu

@10 Oh god, this shouldn’t be affecting you.

#12 8 months ago
  13. polygem

really looking forward to this. looks like a lot of fun. i was a late believer of the pvz magic.

#13 8 months ago
  14. Ireland Michael

@12 It doesn’t affect me. It’s called an opinion. People have those. My opinion shouldn’t affect you.

#14 8 months ago