Call of Duty: Ghosts ships over $1 billion at retail stores worldwide as of day one

Wednesday, 6th November 2013 13:12 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Call of Duty: Ghosts has sold-in $1 billion at retail stores worldwide since its release yesterday, Activision has announced.

The game is already in the number one spot on Xbox Live, according to Microsoft, with average player sessions being reportedly longer than either Black Ops 2 or Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, during the same time period.

“Call of Duty is by far the largest console franchise of this generation,” said CEO Bobby Kotick in a prepared statement. “More people have played Call of Duty this year than ever before, logging four billion hours of gameplay. In the last 12 months, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, including its digital content, generated more revenues than any other console game ever has in a single year.

“Although it is too early to assess sell-through for Call of Duty: Ghosts, it’s launching at a time when the franchise has never been more popular.”

Midnight opening were held at 15,000 locations around the world and according to GameStop figures is the company’s “most-preordered next-gen title.”

The shooter was released yesterday, November 5, on PC, PS3, Wii U and Xbox 360. It will launch on next-gen alongside the consoles later this month.

1. Hcw87

If this outsells GTAV i’m seriously at a loss for words.

#1 10 months ago
  2. noamlol2

source?

and: nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!
    that means there is over a 16666666 retards who bought the game day one

humanity is at peril from an extremely stupid population

jesus, day one…. i wonder how much it will be in a month?….

#2 10 months ago
  3. Erthazus

More then GTAV?

there is still hope for a humanity.

#3 10 months ago
  4. pukem0n

didnt GTA V make the billion after 3 days?

so COD wins.

And i dont like both games

#4 10 months ago
  5. KineticCalvaria

Goddamn it, I thought people would wise up this time.

#5 10 months ago
  6. viralshag

I can’t wait to get my copy for the Xbox One.

Not only do I like the game, I like that it annoys so many people when it sells. :)

#6 10 months ago
  7. Judicas

I call rubbish on this, all my local stores had midnight openings and had far, farrrr less people turn up then normal as most people are either getting it on next gen or haven’t decided yet. For this to sell $1 billion on current gen? I don’t believe it for a second.

#7 10 months ago
  8. bitsnark

Do you mean ‘shipped’ or actual mumbers ‘sold’ figures? As a number of folks are saying that those figures pertain only to the shipped side of the equation.

Yeah, looks like those are shipped figures I think:

#8 10 months ago
  9. Animeboy413

Lol

#9 10 months ago
  10. Animeboy413

@bitsnark, Learn to read the article saids SOLD

#10 10 months ago
  11. KineticCalvaria

@6, *Force Choke*

#11 10 months ago
  12. bitsnark

@10 I read the article thanks, I was questioning whether or not the SOLD part was accurate.

#12 10 months ago
  13. DSB

@6 Dude, please don’t do that to yourself. It’s so ridiculously bad. Leave it be.

I mean, I love CoD, and I was hoping it was the usual anti-hype, but it’s really just all the more obvious for that fact.

#13 10 months ago
  14. Danlisa

NO NO NO! While I don’t credit media sites with any credibility, the actual press release was worded:

“SANTA MONICA, Calif.–(BUSINESS WIRE)– Activision Publishing, Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of Activision Blizzard, Inc. (Nasdaq: ATVI), announced today that the company sold more than $1 billion of Call of Duty®: Ghosts into retail stores worldwide as of day one.”

Which, even with my small grasp of the written word means that they SHIPPED a billion copies to retail outlets.

#14 10 months ago
  15. Legendaryboss

Okay i was wrong possibly about the drop in quality impacting sales but as @14 said sold to retailers, still got money but how many customers will be buying.

#15 10 months ago
  16. bitsnark

@14 That’s what I suspected.

Though I probably should have sought out the press release too :)

#16 10 months ago
  17. Stephany Nunneley

It’s fixed. Expect it to be “elaborated” upon tonight during the call and in a less confusing manner.

#17 10 months ago
  18. viralshag

@11, :D

@13, I can’t help myself. People get so worked up about it.

#18 10 months ago
  19. Dragon

@bitsnark,
    “Sold to consumers” worldwide numbers are impossible to get. Its, as you are saying, shipped aka “sold to retailers”.

Its just Acti shipping more copies than before/ retailers asking for more copies since its a yearly seller.

#19 10 months ago
  20. EdgizAwesome

So no it still has not beat GTA5

#20 10 months ago
  21. EdgizAwesome

#21 10 months ago
  22. DSB

@18 Haha, I get that :P Until I actually played it, I was thinking “This is probably gonna be really good, and then I get to tell everybody how wrong they are”.

Alas, that turned out to be a big ol’ bag of NOPE.

#22 10 months ago
  23. The_Red

If the annualized, copy-paste game that removes BLOPs 2′s new features outsells something like GTA5, we might as well stop playing games and vote for Micheal Bay as president.

#23 10 months ago
  24. SplatteredHouse

Here is an observation showing the effect of a successful CoD: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=709697 Look at those graphs, and the trends.

#24 10 months ago
  25. CPC_RedDawn

THEY MADE $1 BILLION BY COPYING AND PASTING!!!!

WATCH HERE

#25 10 months ago
  26. viralshag

@22, Oh I was talking about COD in general. Is Ghosts crap then? I’m waiting until the X1 version and skipping this gen/PC.

Might swap out my pre-order for a copy of Dead Rising 3.

#26 10 months ago
  27. livewired500

Not surprising at all. Goes to show that most gamers don’t care about reading reviews or researching at all. They just purchase based on brand name only.

#27 10 months ago
  28. laughing-gravy

To anyone who thinks this has outsold GTA V it hasn’t. Read the posting they have only shipped that amount into retail stores. This isn’t customer sales. Tellingly they haven’t released the actual customer sales at all. To the mods please look at the original source and correct it.
    EDIT original source:

#28 10 months ago
  29. SplatteredHouse

Could somebody be as good as to overlay some of the Giant Bomb Quick Look (360) gameplay with the 2002 version of Mad World, because it should fit like a glove.
    I’ve yet to find a vs map design that is neither terribad, or boxy across the (around five) impression/gameplay videos I’ve seen so far.

#29 10 months ago
  30. Loqo

GTA V made $800M in 1 day only on the X360 and PS3…

While CoD Ghosts is out for PS3,X360,Wii U,PC,…will come out for Xone and PS4

Actually GTA V sold better then Ghosts IMO

#30 10 months ago
  31. DSB

@29 That’s actually a very good call, I’m surprised you got that just from the videos.

Aesthetically some of them are beautiful (if you look past the dusty non-colors) but it’s like someone let an abstract sculptor run amok, and that’s murder for the gameplay.

I really hate that fucking trend in multiplayer shooters these days. For some reason designers have to flex their muscles and show everybody how asymmetrical they can be, instead of worrying about the gameplay.

If you look at Counter-Strike or earlier versions of CoD (maybe even BLOPS 2, but to a lesser extent) then there was always a very specific reason why anything was on the map.

If it didn’t have an immediate, deliberate impact on the gameplay, then it didn’t exist.

This time they just kinda went nuts and did whatever they wanted. Three different levels surrounding an open space (Which one are you gonna cover?) weird zigzagging tunnels going up and down, which in turn seperates people and so confuses the spawn system, so you’re never “truly safe”. Everybody is everywhere, as opposed to fronts and pockets forming.

I mean, if you’re a true chaos maniac, it’s stimulating I guess, but for a competitive shooter it just inspires you not to go anywhere. You don’t want to run around that teeny tiny maze full of killzones that are impossible to cover, because you’ll ruin your streak.

And the “pick-up” objectives make it even worse. You get bonus points for “shooting a guy while prone” or “shooting a guy in the back”, so just go prone and lay in a corner, right?

It’s not good, it’s real bad. It’s forcing me to play like a real douche.

#31 10 months ago
  32. loki

it is a shame for the gaming industry and shame players

#32 10 months ago
  33. POOhead

Dont see a problem with this, games great and everyone hating is more likely a virgin lol.

#33 10 months ago
  34. YouGuysAreFools

Guys read the title for the sake of humanity.

It’s the amount sold to stores, NOT the amount sold to consumers.

They wanted to beat GTA 5 and didn’t, that’s why they came out with these sugarcoated misleading figures. And to no surprise at all they actually managed to fool the ignorant masses.

The numbers being amassed by retailers suggest it’s 20 percent less than black ops 2, so in the ballpark of 400 million dollars sold to CONSUMERS.

If GTA 5 sold 1 billion in 3 days, then it’s perfectly safe to say that they also sold over a billion to stores on day one.

Edit: Nevermind, even the title itself is super misleading. The keyword is SOLD-IN, which simply means how many copies the stores bought from Activision. It has nothing to do with the consumers.

#34 10 months ago
  35. Llewelyn_MT

I feel sad that the PC port actually manages to look a lot worse than the aged Battlefield: Bad Company 2. I wonder how this crap even passes for a modern military shooter.

#35 10 months ago
  36. noamlol2

so by reading the comments above it still means there is
    hope for humanity

it’s sold to retailers so i won’t be 100% sold, but yes, in time
    it will…

#36 10 months ago
  37. SplatteredHouse

“Frostbite 3 and Battlefield 4 put Call of Duty: Ghosts to shame ” -”Boxquote” from the new Battlefield 4 online ad. There’s a war going on, and EA are cold as ice!
    I didn’t keep up with CoD much, on the last round of consoles, so I looked at video to get some idea of Black Ops II…While watching, I was struck by the difference. How on earth did IW fuck the latest game up so much. :o

#37 10 months ago
  38. fearmonkey

It must be great to make a game and it doesnt matter how good it is, because everyone will buy it.

Interesting stats on vgchartz regarding pre-orders for ghosts next gen.

Ghosts on next gen is almost neck and neck between the two systems, but Battlefield 4 is twice as many preorders on PS4. Most of the COD sales are on current gen, people buying the Xbox One are buying it, but none of the other launch games come close. On PS4, Killzone, Battlefield 4, and Ghosts are over the 250k mark.

Sadly, Ryse, Dead Rising, and Knack lag way behind.

#38 10 months ago