PS4 & Xbox One have more in common that current-gen consoles, says DICE

Monday, 4th November 2013 11:17 GMT By Dave Cook

PlayStation 4 and Xbox One are more evenly matched than their predecessors, according to Battlefield 4 executive producer Patrick Bach.

It follows our own giga-interview (I just made that up) with Bach, which is spread across five parts. It covers everything from Battlefield 4, Star Wars, Frostbite 3, Mirror’s Edge, next-gen and much more. If you’re a DICE fan you should probably check it out.

Speaking with MMGN, Bach said of the new consoles, “Even on an extremely high level, I think they have more things in common. It’s much easier to develop and to deliver on five platforms, which is good for us.”

Bach added that this parity is also of benefit to the Frostbite 3 engine. He added, “With Frostbite, being able to work so long on the current generation, it’s allowed us to ensure that the engine, whatever platform we have it on at the end, that it’s able make the most of the platform, so that’s been [a benefit] of the extended generation.”

While both PS4 and Xbox One development is clearer and consistent across formats, but Bach reckons the future is still not that clear-cut. “Overall we don’t know what to expect with new hardware, even when we’re working on it. I think we’ve been extremely privileged to have the time to work on this generation, and embrace the possibilities it’s presented. It’s helped the transition,” he continued.

Do you think the parity between formats will help development moving forward? Are you keen to see what DICE can do with the tech in say, five years time? Let us know below.

Also, here’s my thoughts on Battlefield 4′s current-gen multiplayer.

Via OXM.

1. Hcw87

”Are you keen to see what DICE can do with the tech in say, five years time?”

Absolutely.

Xbox 360 Launch FPS: http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/18oddc89iahudpng/ku-bigpic.png

Xbox 360 end of generation FPS: http://www.xbox360achievements.org/images/screenshots/2435/med_bf4-construction.jpg

Xbox 360 launch game: http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/18odcpncx7j82png/ku-xlarge.png

Xbox 360 5 years later: http://gamerinvestments.com/video-game-stocks/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/red-dead-redemption-new-screens-001.jpg

Xbox 360 launch racing game: http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/18odcvkg3ddqnjpg/ku-xlarge.jpg

Xbox 360 racing game years later: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Trr38U2fVbw/ULxWL1tN_PI/AAAAAAAABH4/oOxsDoBxcUw/s1600/Forza-Horizon-Wallpaper-2.jpg

It’s almost scary to think of how good games will look 5 years from now.

#1 12 months ago
  2. Legendairyboss

#2 12 months ago
  3. gomersoul

I agree I’m convinced games will improve with optimization as always but the bf4 screenshot in the above comment is xbone. Funny how this studio says the consoles are more similar but still run at higher res on ps4

#3 12 months ago
  4. darkshale

I don’t mean to be glib but NO! I hope I am putting down my preorder for a new generation in five years. I don’t want to have to wait another 7 years for another generation.

I am looking forward to picking up my PS4 next week but I know this is a stop gap generation. The tech is almost 2 years old already, cheap and geared for a weak economy. This generation has lasted too long because of the weak economy not a lack of technology. I am hoping we see this world recession turn around a bit giving console makers a little faith in high end tech again.

Griping aside in two years even companies like Dice will be releasing graphics like we have never seen. The current gen of consoles has caused even the PC master race to stagnate. Programmers are working on dated engines designed to work across a wide range of tech with aspects geared toward the lowest common denominator.

#4 12 months ago
  5. DrDamn

Maybe the full interview has more but “more in common” =/= “more evenly matched” at least performance wise. They both have very similar CPUs and GPUs from the same manufacturer. That’s already two massive things in common over the previous generation.

Agree with that though I think the term “cherry picked” might well apply to some of those choices ;)

#5 12 months ago
  6. Keivz

Agreed. The games speak for themselves. We’ve heard similarly vague comments from other developers and many took the ‘similar’ statements to mean ‘similar performing’, when in fact they mostly meant ‘similar to develop for’.

#6 12 months ago
  7. DSB

Where’s Nicholas Cage when you need him?

REALLY, YA THINK?!

#7 12 months ago
  8. Opalauge

“PS4 & Xbox One have more in common that current-gen consoles, says DICE”

Everyone with hardware-knowlege knows that for many months…except the fanboys (pseudo-journalists included).

#8 12 months ago
  9. The_Red

So in current gen Battlefield 3 was native 480p on PS3 and native 720p on Xbox 360? Because the difference in resolution of BF4 on new consoles is NOT small.

#9 12 months ago