People Can Fly takes generic new name

Friday, 1st November 2013 17:05 GMT By Phil Owen

Bulletstorm devs People Can Fly have lost their unique and interesting name and are now just called Epic Games Poland, Pixel Enemy reports. Also, they’re working on Epic’s Unreal Engine 4 title Fortnite now. Statement inside.

“We’ve changed the studio’s name from People Can Fly to Epic Games Poland. We’re a global company with talented people working toward one goal across the world. We think this helps better reflect that.”

In other words, branding is king.

After Epic bought the studio outright last year, its three co-founders left to start up a new indie studio called The Astronauts, and with this name change it’s easy to see now why they would have wanted to do that.

1. Erthazus

More like they are hiding behind critically acclaimed “Epic games” name.

#1 11 months ago
  2. freedoms_stain

This’ll make it easier for Epic to shit-can the studio and absorb the people they actually want in 6-12 months time.

Typical American buy-em and gut-em strategy.

#2 11 months ago
  3. TheBlackHole

Fortnite has fallen off the radar. Not expecting much from that game, espeially now it’s been handed to the ‘B’ team.

Keen to know what Epic’s next gen shooter title is. Have a feeling it’s not Gears, and that they’ll go for another original IP, like they did last gen.

IF they get it right now, it will set them up for a decade.

Not sure how much I trust them though as a developer, what with Blezinski, Rod Ferguson and Mike Capps all gone.

#3 11 months ago
  4. Erthazus

@2, True.

Anyway, I want to see my videos with the Fortnite on UE4.0 and I hope that they are going back to Unreal Tournament roots which is a WISHFUL thinking at best.

#4 11 months ago
  5. TheBlackHole

@2 Sadly, I completely agree.

This is exactly how EA do it. Textbook.

#5 11 months ago
  6. The_Red

That is just sad. Original Painkiller is the best pure FPS I’ve played since Duke Nukem 3D era and while flawed, Bulletstofm is more fun than anything Epic has made in the last decade.

#6 11 months ago
  7. absolutezero

The Astronauts are basically all the good people that were left at People Can Fly.

#7 11 months ago
  8. sebastien rivas

Nobody cares for anyone nowadays,

Whether you make games that sells, not especially good games, good game does not matter but simply games that sells or you get relegated or worse, obliterated.

To any indy wannabe big, do yourself a favor, don’t sell out. Game industry is a hard industry to pierce in and stay but get and keep some pride and confidence in yourself/ves.

I am afraid @2 will be right. Pathetically sad but it truly sounds like a nuke is coming on PCF’s head in coming months.

#8 11 months ago
  9. fearmonkey

@3 – All rumors point to a new Unreal, not sure if it’s Unreal or Unreal Tournament.

#9 11 months ago
  10. ps4fanboy

lools like their wings got clipped

#10 11 months ago
  11. DSB

@2 Ouch, truth bullet. Sad but true.

#11 11 months ago
  12. TheWulf

I really feel bad for them. It’s a common story, though, isn’t it? A brave mainstream developer attempts the unthinkable — injecting a novel creation into the sea of homogeneity. Such efforts almost always flop.

And this is why I usually stick to the indies.

Though it does make me wonder how developers like Volition and TT Games are so popular. TT Games has the kids, so they’ll always be here, I think. But Volition? I wonder if they’re hanging by a thread, too…

I’m tired of the sea of homogeneity that the mainstream has become, honestly. There’s a large per centage of genericness you have to represent in order to be successful. You have to be like everything else out there. And what are People Can Fly doing now? They’ve realised their experiment failed and they’re embracing the homogeneity rather than opting for any other course of action, their giving up their last item of novelty — their name.

This always leaves me sad and thinky. it also leaves me disappointed with the average human in that AAA entertainment can’t rise above the mainstream malaise without being punished for it. I can’t say that there are a lot of mainstream games I ever want to play because of that. I’m always on the lookout for the imaginative, novel, and fantastic, but I’ll rarely ever see it.

It seems to be the shift from Eurasia to the American landmass as a source of entertainment that did it. I remember plenty of quirky stuff being available for the home computers back in the ’80s and ’90s, and I remember lots of bizarre entries for the consoles, too, thanks to Japan.

Blah. I don’t know what it is. That’s probably just a scapegoat. The reasl reason is probably opening gaming up to masses who lack an imagination.

I’m not too bothered though, because there are indies and non-AAA small devs who’re producing things that I like, I like a lot. And there was recently a new Pokemon and Phoenix Wright game, so it’s not that bad. I just feel really, really bad for People Can Fly. They tried something unusual and now they’re being absorbed for their crimes.

#12 11 months ago
  13. Mark Rein

Wow, you guys have it totally wrong. This is a hugely positive thing for PCF and Epic both. Fortnite is going to be huge. I personally think it is the best game we’ve done so far. Having Epic Poland fully engaged on it right alongside the Raleigh office is helping make it even more awesome. I know we’ve been pretty quiet about it but that’s because we’re taking our time and making sure it’s going to be something the community absolutely love for a long, long time.

Also we have open job positions in Poland right now!

#13 11 months ago
  14. Pitts

These kinds of things can look a lot worse from the outside than they actually are. Hopefully it doesn’t signal anything truly horrid.

@13- Sounds hopeful! I wish I was in Poland to try my luck! Good luck with Fortnite!

#14 11 months ago
  15. POOhead

@13 I want to believe you but atm im afraid i dont, so many un-answered questions, ever since some Chinese company brought half of Epic alot of key members left and also what happened to Judgement? the quality of the game dropped compared to GOW 3, was this MS fault for not giving you guys the right amount of time to develop Judgement are something? Also really looking forward to fortnight, best of luck to you and your team!

#15 11 months ago
  16. xXNapsterManXx

Aw I really liked the name People Can Fly and I liked Bulletstorm it was fun it wasn’t trying to be serious and it knew it.

#16 11 months ago
  17. Hyperx64

BulletStorm was a pretty good game, what they were getting at did actually work. Though overall the game felt average at best – more of a game between games, to keep ya occupied.

#17 11 months ago