Assassin’s Creed 4′s fleet management locked behind online pass

Tuesday, 29th October 2013 19:45 GMT By Phil Owen

Yes, Ubisoft is still using their version of the online pass, dubbed uPlay Passport, on Assassin’s Creed IV despite the immense dislike for the practice — even EA doesn’t do that anymore. But now the Passport isn’t merely locking online features only.

Game Informer has noted that if you don’t have or don’t enter a uPlay Passport code that is bundled with new copies of the game, you will not have the option to add a ship to your fleet when you take it. Thus, you can’t send them off on automated missions to earn some extra loot as you play. When you do this, you have the option of having friends help you move the missions along, but you can do them completely solo if you wanted to. That’s not the worst thing I’ve ever heard of, but it does make borrowing the game from your buddy a little less of a promising concept, which I assume was the point of doing this — online passes are there to encourage you to buy your own new copy of the game.

If you’re still waffling on AC4, I have what you need: 20 minutes of Dave playing the story.

1. Legendaryboss

And cue shitstorm…

Keeping it pirate themed.

#1 9 months ago
  2. prudislav

Asshole DRM Ubi strikes again *facepalm*

#2 9 months ago
  3. The_Red

Ubi, the fucking company that has lowered it self more than even EA.

#3 9 months ago
  4. Ireland Michael

Is this definitely true?

If it is, I definitely won’t be buying the game unless they patch that restriction out. It could potentially be a bug, but if not, then that’s utter bullshit.

#4 9 months ago
  5. pcbros

DRM helps protect developers. Let’s not be immature about it. Just like Sony took measures to protect the PS3 by patching out Linux, developers have the same right to do whatever they feel needed to protect their work.

I’m assuming once you login to uPlay Passport, it’s tied to your gamertag. If so, I don’t mind then. However, if you have to log in to it every time you play, then it’s annoying.

#5 9 months ago
  6. stx

This is for all versions? Havent seen it mentioned for the ps3/360 copies that people are already playing.

#6 9 months ago
  7. Edo

What boggles my mind is that this fucking thing is something that we found about now that the game is out …..smh.

#7 9 months ago
  8. Xbone

But isnt this a huge part of the game? Putting ships to your fleet? lol

#8 9 months ago
  9. bradk825

@5 Yeah but it won’t just catch pirates, pardon the pun, but people who bought the game pre-owned. That’s the problem a lot of people are going to be upset about.

I am unlikely to buy a pre-owned copy of this game so it isn’t going to bother me, my plan for AC4 is to wait for the price to come down in a year or so and pick it up.

#9 9 months ago
  10. karma

If i can’t share the entire game with my brother then i’m not buying.

#10 9 months ago
  11. prudislav

So is it online only or it does work after applying uplay pass offline???

#11 9 months ago
  12. Legendaryboss

Phrased weird, well you have to be online initially to input the Uplay Pass Code in your chosen system and i assume after doing that you don’t need to be online to access that single player content/section because you installed it, its there.

It would be strange if you did.

#12 9 months ago
  13. TheWulf

In all fairness, this craziness seems to be borne of Ubisoft Montreal. Their other studios (especially Montpellier) seem to be more about making interesting gaming experiences. It’s Montreal that’s most closely tied to the mainstream, so whenever we hear anything nonsensical or targeted at the lowest common denominator, it’s coming from their Montreal studio.

I’ve had to come to understand this due to my love/hate relationship with them, a relationship I examined very closely. The only thing I’ve come close to liking from Montreal is Blood Dragon, whereas I commonly buy what their other studios put out.

It just seems like despite Ubisoft Montreal being financially successful for them, it’s also one of the worst things to have happened to the company. And it’s thanks to Montreal that they’re becoming worse than EA, since Montreal is where all the bad ideas are coming from. It’s their mainstream studio, so they’re behaving like EA of yore.

I don’t and can’t have a distaste of Ubisoft as a whole, but I do think that their Montreal studio is equivalent to the cancerous lump on an otherwise perfect body.

Sometimes it’s hard to believe that the company that put out Rayman Legends is the same one responsible for this — but you know? Then I remember… Ubisoft Montreal. So I’ve just started to think of Ubisoft Montreal as its own thing, and not very much related to Ubisoft in general. Things make more sense that way.

#13 9 months ago
  14. TheWulf

I wouldn’t be surprised if you have to be online whenever you’re doing fleet management. Ubisoft Montreal seem to desperately miss the days of Uplay being an always online DRM. So… remember I said that, and try not to be too surprised when it turns out that way.

I think that’s the bad part of it. I don’t mind DRM in general, and I don’t even mind Uplay, but gating stuff behind DRM that you have to be online for? That reeks of the always online Uplay DRM that they swore up and down they’d gotten rid of.

#14 9 months ago
  15. Obernox

[sigh]

This isn’t going to stop…

#15 9 months ago
  16. YoungZer0

@9: It won’t catch any pirates. Pirates will find a way. They always have.

#16 9 months ago
  17. noamlol2

another fine way to increase sales! sarcasm

wtf are they doing really? the CEO is greedy as fuck

this game will fail, no matter how much money will be poured into advertising

#17 9 months ago
  18. Hyperx64

Inputting a code is no problem – never has been. Please stop with all “the sky is falling” nonsense… also read “The Boy Who cried Wolf” it has some important information :/

#18 9 months ago
  19. YoungZer0

@18: I don’t think you understand what’s we’re talking about here.

#19 9 months ago
  20. pcbros

@9 – I don’t think developers really like the idea of people trading in their games or buying pre-owned. That just equals zero cash for the developer and lots of cash for LameStop.

#20 9 months ago
  21. The_Red

Hadn’t really noticed that but it is rather interesting. That said, I wouldn’t solely blame it on Montreal studio. As you said, their games are most mainstream. They make the best selling Ubi games so they have a bigger chance of being pirated (in theory).

Because of that, Ubi higher-ups could be forcing them to implement these things more than any other Ubi studio.

#21 9 months ago
  22. mistermogul

@20 – Whether developers like it or not, when they sell physical goods, they should expect a certain % to be re-sold just like ANY and ALL other physical goods.

Imagine the sh*tstorm that would happen if car manufacturers or house builders found a way to stop you reselling!? It wouldn’t happen.

This industry needs to accept that it is part of trading and move on without alienating the very people that make them millions.

If all industries were in a board room having a meeting, it would be the videogame industry sat sobbing in a corner as they’re not getting their way.

#22 9 months ago
  23. noamlol2

and it wasn’t mentioned in gamespot and it got a 9.0

i hate ubisoft so much…

#23 9 months ago
  24. XanderZane

So what does that mean for gamers who bought a PS4 knowing internet access wasn’t necessary? If you have a PS4 with no internet access and a copy of ACIV, how do you unlock the feature of adding ships?

#24 9 months ago
  25. rlmiller007

DOESN’T MATTER WHEN IT WON”T WORK TO START WITH. Tried for 3 hours to get this POS to load. NEVER AGAIN Ubisoft. NEVER again.

#25 9 months ago