Watch Dogs and The Crew have been delayed into spring 2014

Tuesday, 15th October 2013 17:03 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Watch Dogs has been delayed into spring 2014, Ubisoft announced today, along with a delay for The Crew, it’s open-world racer. Due to the delays, the firm has revised its financial expectations for fiscal year 2014.

Watch Dogs and The Crew delayed

The Watch Dogs delay includes all versions, per the following statement from the Watch Dogs team:

“Our ambition from the start with Watch_Dogs has been to deliver something that embodies what we wanted to see in the next-generation of gaming. It is with this in mind that we’ve made the tough decision to delay the release until Spring 2014.

“We know a lot of you are probably wondering ‘why now?’ We struggled with whether we would delay the game. But from the beginning, we have adopted the attitude that we will not compromise on quality. As we got closer to release, as all the pieces of the puzzle were falling into place in our last push before completion, it became clear to us that we needed to take the extra time to polish and fine tune every detail so we can deliver a truly memorable and exceptional experience.

“We would like to take this opportunity to thank all of you. We thoroughly enjoy and appreciate the way you respond on the web, at events, press conferences and during other opportunities we have to interact. Your passion is what drives us.

“We can’t wait to see you in Chicago next Spring. We are confident you’ll love this game as much as we love working on it.”

Watch Dogs was originally announced for a November 19 release in the States, and a November 22 release across Europe on PC, PS3, PS4 Wii U and Xbox 360.

Amazon and GameStop will both still honor next-gen pre-order bundles, the retailers said in separate statements.

The original release date for Xbox One was November 22 worldwide and on PlayStation 4 November 29 in Europe.

Meanwhile, The Crew was previously planned for release in fiscal year 2013-14, and is now scheduled for fiscal year 2014-15, meaning it may not see a release until April 2014 at the earliest.

Developed by Ivory Tower, The Crew is an open-world racer originally slated for release on PC, PS4 and Xbox One in early 2014.

Ubisoft has told Kotaku in a statement it hopes those who “pre-ordered the game will still look forward to playing it in spring 2014,” and that the “extra polish and quality” will add to the game play experience.

Meanwhile, Sony has told CVG it is working “very closely” with both Ubisoft and its retail partners regarding the Watch Dogs PS4 bundle in the UK.

Amazon has said it plans to honor all Watch Dogs bundles this November, but it’s unknown at this time what game, if any, will be included with the console. The retailer said to stay tuned for more updates.

GameStop has said it too will be honoring the pre-order bundles, and will be contacting customers who had either the PS4 or Xbox One versions pre-ordered. Our local store told us customers can either choose a different bundle – which may have a price difference – or they can keep their current order, get their console at release, and then pick up or receive their pre-ordered copy of Watch Dogs upon its release.

Changes to financial targets

Due to delays, Ubisoft has revised its financial targets for 2013-14 and now expects sales of between €995 million and €1.045 billion compared to the prior target of between €1.420 billion and €1.450 billion.

The delays could see Ubisoft losing fiscal revenue of $560 million, which would result in a loss of around $88 million.

“Our long term goal is to win the next generation,” stated Ubisoft co-founder and CEO Yves Guillemot in the press release. “The tough decisions we are taking today to fully realize the major potential of our new creations have an impact on our short-term performance.

“We are convinced that, longer term, they will prove to be the right decisions both in terms of satisfaction for our fans and in terms of value creation for our shareholders.

“We are building franchises that will become perennial pillars of Ubisoft’s financial performance. In a context of growing successes for mega-blockbusters, the additional time given to the development of our titles will allow them to fulfill their huge ambitions and thus offer players even more exceptional experiences.

“Fueled by strong momentum for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, calendar 2014 will see the return of growth to the console market. Combined with the quality of our line-up and our strong financial situation, this growth will allow us to achieve record operating income in fiscal 2014-15 and 2015-16.”

Based on the information at Ubisoft’s disposal today, sales for the second quarter of 2013-14 should exceed €210 million.

Final first half earnings will be released on November 12, 2013.

1. Hcw87

They want to max out sales on AC4, and they’re intimidated by GTAV for sure.

#1 11 months ago
  2. Triggerhappy

Offt, never seen that one coming. I’m waiting til April to get it when I pick up a PS4, but ouch to the people who had it preordered for November :(

#2 11 months ago
  3. Legendaryboss

Sure it is such a shame, I can deal with it though: now its just making my christmas spending this year a little easier.

But my 2014 spending becomes somewhat harder and i’m sure there will be surprise purchases.

Hit and a miss though.

Oh well at least they are working on it some more, although little close to the curve release date wise. Might have been overshadowed by AC4 Black Flag, marketing and sales-wise.

#3 11 months ago
  4. ClubCyberia

I think you might have been first with this one, nice. Launch lineup is slim pickings.

#4 11 months ago
  5. razvan2you

#1 No, it’s a Ubisoft tradition……..to dissapoint fans, to annoy every customer and delay EVERY GAME they’re working on.

#5 11 months ago
  6. Dave Cook

Beats rushing out AC games every year. I applaud their decision. In the end we’ll get a better game.

#6 11 months ago
  7. MarcoosVGC

So, is this every version or just ps4 and Xbox one versions?

Edit: oh looks like the title just changed to answer that ahah

#7 11 months ago
  8. Edo

Well,fuck…

#8 11 months ago
  9. Dark

oh wow..

#9 11 months ago
  10. mistermogul

@7 – “delayed on all platforms”

#10 11 months ago
  11. Triggerhappy

@ 5: To be fair though it is for polish this time rather than for putting distance between the console and PC versions… But yeh with other high profile Ubi titles in the same month almost… it does make sense.

#11 11 months ago
  12. Legendaryboss

What? The Crew Too?

Its release date was Q1 2014 right?

Edit: Steph answered my question in the article, you go girl with lightning speed editing.

#12 11 months ago
  13. Moonwalker1982

I honestly had not seen this coming. Then again, both AC4 and WD is not good for sales no. But i had expected AC4 to be delayed then.

#13 11 months ago
  14. Mike W

Damn Ubisoft!!!! What a bunch of fucking pricks, why the hell did they wait this late to delay the fucking game?!!!

#14 11 months ago
  15. locus2k1

I wonder what this does for Sony’s Boxed Watch Dog PS4 bundles that were mean to come out on 29th November

BY that I mean from a logistical point of view – will all bundles now be changed to Killzone, for example

#15 11 months ago
  16. Ireland Michael

Delaying an incomplete game is always a good thing. I’m just surprised its being delayed this close to launch, and for so bloody long. It clearly wasn’t in a complete state.

#16 11 months ago
  17. Legendaryboss

Edit below: Delayed as well, is the most likely situation seeing as the game ain’t ready to release with the bundles.

Edit: An alternative might be added, i think. Not necessarily Killzone, wait for official updates.

#17 11 months ago
  18. mihau

” along with a delay for The Crew, it’s online shooter based on the Tom Clancy franchise.” the crew is a racing game, The Division is a shooter.

#18 11 months ago
  19. Stephany Nunneley

@18 yes it is already fixed you need to hit refresh (too many games cause confusion)

#19 11 months ago
  20. Bomba Luigi

Delays are normaly a good Thing, its better then Releasing a unfinished Product. As long as its not getting silly like Duke Nukem or The Last Guardian, thats no longer a good Thing.

#20 11 months ago
  21. locus2k1

@17 ShopTO have tweeted to say they will update as soon as they know more… seems like Retailers may not have been told in advance.

Still, glad I got the Mega-Bundle pre-ordered now, fingers crossed for those who did change to the Watch Dogs bundle though!

#21 11 months ago
  22. Hunam

I don’t think GTAV had anything to do with this.

I’m actually not that surprised by the news. For one, Assassin’s Creed is out the same day on next gen, two Ubisoft franchises, both open world on the same day isn’t smart. Don’t compete against yourself.

Secondly, the fact that at Eurogamer they didn’t even have a playable build. That was so telling it wasn’t ready. I’m more than happy to wait really, but it is a bit of a fuck up for PS4 bundles.

#22 11 months ago
  23. Hcw87

Really? GTAV is the current most played online title (on XBLive atleast) beating even CoD.

That and AC4 releasing at the same time and it would have KILLED their sales.

It’s smart, but they could have announced this weeks ago.

#23 11 months ago
  24. AsianGameing

good , take time as long they can. i am want don’t bugs game and for good PS4 and pc

#24 11 months ago
  25. cggraham1333

They did this with GTA5 too, it was supposed to come out in march but they delayed it to September… @ HCW87- completely agree, this is def bc of AC4′s sales & Ubisoft’s overall profit. Can’t blame them but it still sucks

#25 11 months ago
  26. game_on

That’s a shame, I had this one planned for my Wii U. Oh well, then it will be good old Mario all over again for me.

#26 11 months ago
  27. bradk825

For me this is almost good news, lol. Too many awesome games already coming out in November.

#27 11 months ago
  28. fearmonkey

Bummer – But it does make it easier what games I want for launch. Killzone and Knack for me so far, Watch Dogs was third on my list.

I was debating on whether I wanted Watch dogs on PS4 or PC, this will give me more time.

To people making comparisons to GTA5, they moved it back so now it could compete with the launching of PC and next gen GTA5 release.
    They will need to watch that.

#28 11 months ago
  29. Phoenixblight

Well I was getting this game with the PS4 at launch. Guess what that means? I am hocking my two systems(purchased an additional one just for selling) for double their worth and purchasing the PS4 at a later point.

#29 11 months ago
  30. Panthro

:’( no….

:’( watch dogs…. :’( no…

#30 11 months ago
  31. Legendaryboss

@To Those Interested:
    PS4 Bundle Update via CVG: “Sony is working closely with Ubisoft & retail partners to manage effects of #WatchDogs delay on #PS4 bundles.”

#31 11 months ago
  32. Lv01

I hadnt preordered a watch dogs bundle, but I did have it preordered separately… Just have to wait now… Less money to spend on launch day tho!

#32 11 months ago
  33. junguler

in most cases delay means better and more polished end product and even some may add some additional content in the game insted of making them for dlcs (which in ubisoft case is not true :D)

#33 11 months ago
  34. Erthazus

They just finished GTAV… and thought they have unpolished turd.

#34 11 months ago
  35. AmiralPatate

With GTA V coming to PC in Q1 2014, the probability imma buy Watch Dogs just dropped by 69 points.

#35 11 months ago
  36. Pitts

“Watch Dogs and the Crew” would’ve been a great show back in the 80s.

#36 11 months ago
  37. KineticCalvaria

I literally swapped my Amazon preorder from the BF4/KZ:SF bundle to the Watch Dogs bundle this morning… now I’ve swapped to the bundle with just KZ:SF, decided to get BF4 only on PC.

What a bloody nightmare, I’m not even that interested in KZ :(.

#37 11 months ago
  38. Erthazus

Hey, Kinetic, Battlefield 4 duel with me. *evil Erth* At this November. Prepare to die, my son.

#38 11 months ago
  39. KineticCalvaria

@38, I’ll gladly play with you, as long as you don’t start talking about ‘teh graphix’. :D

#39 11 months ago
  40. Erthazus

Ofc mate. What’s the point talking about graphics with the player that play PC games!? :D
    It’s all about match.

#40 11 months ago
  41. Erthazus

btw, fun fact though.

Battlefield 4 is the first game in the history of gaming that will have wind-simulation physics.
    Watch Dogs is the second one but it is delayed so the prize goes automatically to Battlefield 4.

amazing.

#41 11 months ago
  42. YoungZer0

Smart decision. The next two months are packed enough. Pity though. GTA V was such a bad game, I was thirsting for something better and quick.

#42 11 months ago
  43. CaptPierce

First word: What?
    Second word: THE FUCK?

I was anticipating this game something fierce. :(
    Oh well, hope the extra results in a better game in the end.

#43 11 months ago
  44. KineticCalvaria

@41, oh boy >.< lol. Although I didn't know that to be fair…

#44 11 months ago
  45. OmegaSlayer

I’m totally with Dave.
    The game is quite ambitious, if they want to make a franchise out of it, they better not waste it losing sales due to release a rushed game and being cannibalized by their own same game (AC4).
    You need balls to delay a game.
    Ubi has shown those balls.
    Kudos to them.

#45 11 months ago
  46. Ekona

Fucksocks and cockweasels :(

I’ve got this on pre-order for the Xbone, guess I’ll pick Ryse up instead then along with Forza and DR3. Ah well, one of those things I guess.

#46 11 months ago
  47. Keivz

Not surprised at all. I expect more game delays to be announced in the coming days as well.

#47 11 months ago
  48. Uncontested

Woooow… This is really disappointing news. Was really looking forwards to this game. I’m kinda bored with GTA V already.. Just isn’t the fun mayhem game it was in the past with wanton destruction and so on.. lol..

#48 11 months ago
  49. Phoenixblight

Watch DOgs definitely won’t be that either.

#49 11 months ago
  50. SplatteredHouse

Welp, better get used to seeing more Ubisoft ads. And reports. and all the screens and movies. On a weekly basis, And then, all the other shit that I just skip because: after a while it’s just noise. Bettong the farm on AC…What-was-it-this-time! Let’s hope that works out for ‘em.

#50 11 months ago
  51. Xbone

Delaying the game 5 weeks before realese a dick move. I dont have problem with delays, but im sure its not because it is not done… FU UBI. Guess what… GTA5 PC will come at the same time and I dont have money for both.

#51 11 months ago
  52. tezzer1985

What happens to those PS4 bundle packs 😁

#52 11 months ago
  53. Phoenixblight

I emailed Amazon and they said that I will still get the launch Ps4 but the game won’t come with it. So just get a new console, thats it.

#53 11 months ago
  54. TD_Monstrous69

O what the fuck!

#54 11 months ago
  55. Certainty

Just a thought but could they actually be focusing on making it native 1080 instead of the native 720 and up scaled to 1080?

#55 11 months ago
  56. Phoenixblight

No this is from the fear of cannibalizing their own sales along with feeling the pinch of GTA V.

#56 11 months ago
  57. Hyperx64

That sux! No problem. Assassins Creed 4 it is – will love me some more ocean escapades :)

#57 11 months ago
  58. Stephany Nunneley

Amazon tweet and statement from GameStop have been added.

#58 11 months ago
  59. Biscuitpants

cant wait until people buy this and become disappointed haha

#59 11 months ago
  60. kaffikjelen

Hopefully they scrap that stupid faux science fiction UI. That’s just distracting, as it also is in Assassin’s Creed.

#60 11 months ago