New BioShock game possible if Irrational falls in love with another idea, says Levine

Wednesday, 9th October 2013 11:49 GMT By Dave Cook

BioShock: Infinite director Ken Levine has said that Irrational Games would make another entry to the series if it fell in love with the right idea. If not, he has suggested that another studio would probably have a crack.

The quotes come from this Reddit ‘Ask Me Anything’, in which Levine and lead level designer Andres Gonzalez answered fan questions about the game.

When quizzed about the possibility of another full BioShock title from Irrational and why he moved away from Rapture in Infinite, Levine replied, “I think it actually has a lot in common with the first game. I’ve said in a bunch of interviews that we had to step back when we started working on this game and say “What makes a BioShock game?”. If it was Rapture, there would be no Irrational BioShock game coming out now.

“After a lot of soul searching, we determined it was a) The game takes place in a world that is both grounded in reality and fantastical at the same time. That world needs to be more detailed than any other game world out there. b) The combat has to have a strong improvisational nature, with a suite of player tools that lets everyone approach combat differently.

“In terms of more Irrational BioShock games, it’s way too early to say. It will ALWAYS be dependent upon us having an idea that we’re in love with and excites us. IF we don’t have that, I suspect it would be another studio making one, if there was one to make. But I can’t imagine doing it if we weren’t in love with the idea.
I didn’t work on Bio 2, so I wouldn’t change anything.”

Would you like to see more BioShock adventures? Would it have to be an Irrational joint or would you be keen to see what another studio could bring to the table? Let us know below.

Meanwhile, you can watch the first five minutes of BioShock: Infinite – Burial at Sea here. Beware spoilers though.

Via OXM.

1. SameeR_Fisher

I like Irrational approach to Bioshock, having different adventures in epic places, Rapture, Colombia, I hope they get another idea and take us to another awesome world.

#1 11 months ago
  2. Pytox

Bioshock X Disney? ;D

#2 11 months ago
  3. YoungZer0

Do something new. Airshock was boring. A game with a good story that doesn’t rely on some plot-twist would be interesting. Because right now all people are doing is wait for the plottwist.

@2: We already have Bioshock Infinite.

#3 11 months ago
  4. AmiralPatate

Idea: Bioshock… IN SPAAACE!

#4 11 months ago
  5. monkeygourmet

I really hated Bioshock Infinate. Columbia was a cool city, but there was almost zero interaction with the inhabitants or scenery.

So, so dull. It just felt like one horde mode after another held together by a flimsy story.

It really felt like they scrapped alot of the game halfway through and cobbled together some gameplay to make a final product…

#5 11 months ago
  6. Pytox

@5 i didnt like you could only have 2 main weapons :(

#6 11 months ago
  7. Docker Al

Most over rated game this year. Dull gun-play and a weak story with an abysmal ending. I feel genuinely cheated by the gaming media that hyped this up.

#7 11 months ago
  8. TheWulf

That’s kind of the tragedy of BioShock though, innit? You have this amazing, atmospheric, beautifully designed location plucked right out of someone’s dream. In the first ten minutes you can see how this could be one of the most incredible games you’ve ever played, something that’ll stay with you for decades. And then, so quickly, it devolves into witless shooting galleries, gore, violence, ad schlock writing.

why

I want to hate Levine for that. At the very least he deserves to have his head flushed down a toilet, so that the soothing swirling toilet waters might purify him of his OCD attachment to FPS games. All you need for an FPS is some idiot space marine and a spaceship, or a modern day marine and some exploding buildings. You do not, you do not need a setting as mesmerising as Columbia or Rapture. You do NOT.

How do you turn something glorious, with a brilliant atmosphere, something engaging that could be remembered for decades to come, and then quickly turn it into garbage? Ask Irrational, they’re apparently taking classes on this, and it turns my stomach.

I’ve recently been replaying Uru via Myst Online with a friend.

I’ve been soaking up the atmosphere, living it, loving it, being immersed in it, reading the notebooks, absorbing the lore, basking in the truly stunning places they’ve created for me to walk in. A game so powerful that it has me attached to a 3D model, no longer a 3D model, now a creature I go back to visit every year.

ilu Shroomie

Usually a game can slide by if it has a lot of things I like. I tolerated Skyrim because it was nice playing as a werewolf character, but I didn’t enjoy it in the same way that I enjoy Uru, because it’s all about killing things.

So, riddle me this? why

What I’m getting at here is that every open, amazing setting we have lately has been all about us wanting to prove our manly, male superiority by boning people with guns or swords. What’s the bloody point? I’m confident enough in myself that I don’t need that kind of power fantasy to get by. In Skyrim, I spent most of my time just running around as a werewolf and exploring, using a mod that stopped people freaking out at me being one, as I just wanted to explore.

So much violence. Here is an amazing world! Think of the things you could do! Think of the millions of possibilities. Now let’s toss those possibilities out of the window and go kill shit.

Yeah, killin’ shit!

Are we sure we’re not all crazy sociopaths? Sometimes I do wonder.

But you have something like BioShock and it’s… you know, why? Why? You have such an amazing setting, and it could have been so memorable, so legendary, it could have been something that would have been history rather than having been forgotten amongst the annals of history. All that potentials, ruined! Ruined because killin’ shit is popular.

Yeah, I can’t help but despair. Can you honestly blame me?

We have so, so, so many games with brilliant settings where all we do is kill shit. And kill more shit. And then more. We have puzzle games, sure, but the forte of most of those isn’t story, or setting, or world, which are things that I crave.

That we have so many killing simulators, and that something like Infinite had to be a killing simulator, and that we have so few games like Uru? I think that says something about us and our hobby.

I’ll let you figure out what that is. Or deny the truisms here, whichever.

#8 11 months ago
  9. YoungZer0

LOUD NOISES!

#9 11 months ago
  10. dizzygear

Add me to the list of people who thought Bioshock infinite was a massive disappointment.

Dumb gameplay mechanics like having a weapon upgrade system while you can only carry 2 weapons and you have to swap them all the time rendering the whole upgrade thing pointless if your in a area with enemy’s that dont carry the guns you upgraded.
    And lets not forget the tacked on plasmids, uh, vigors. I played the game on hard and i got by with only crows and lightning. The rest of them just felt meh.

The story was ok but felt poorly paced. And half the plot was hidden away in audio logs which sucked IMO.

I think they should take a break from Bioshock instead.

#10 11 months ago
  11. archaven

Ken Levine should look at Dishonored gameplay.

#11 11 months ago
  12. fearmonkey

Add me to the list who absolutely loved Bioshock Infinite and the other two games. Those three games are part of the best of this generation.

#12 11 months ago
  13. Pitts

@8- I haven’t had the time to dive into Infinite, but the dilemma reminds me heavily of Dishonored.

I found the lore and lifestyles of Dunwall much more fascinating than a bunch of offensive weapons and a revenge quest. I can stare at the art in the game for hours and the most fun for me was blinking around trying to avoid everyone, though I did find turning the tables on Daud’s assassins pretty amusing.

Beyond Myst I don’t know too many games that cater to the explorer except tangentially.

#13 11 months ago
  14. Jonathan42TD

I’m a big fan of the Bioshock franchise, and to me, the first game will always remain as the best one among the three. I was surprised with the changes in Infinite like the weapons system, the type of vigors, and the enemy classes.

To be fair, I also didn’t like the fact that I could only carry 2 weapons, as opposed to 6 or 12, depending on the variations of the same weapon you could find. All in all, I was happy that they made several (and sometimes very direct) mentions to the first game, since it all makes sense up to a certain point. I’m not mad with Levine with his take on the latest game, but I do see that he wanted to strive for something different as to what many people where expecting from a Bioshock experience.

I can’t wait to see Rapture AGAIN with the upcoming DLC, and I hope they give us more on the whys, whats and hows of raptures society, given that a lot has been explained through audio diaries from the first two games, there still remains a few things to check and find out.

@4- Love the idea, a lost city floating in the depths of space +1 :)

#14 11 months ago
  15. BrahManDude

PLS NO i was disappointed but go back to make System Shock 3 and fix the combat which was broken

#15 11 months ago
  16. animekid

Jesus fikin christ why won’t you people stop complaining! If you dont like the game tuen dont keep blabvering like a bunch of greedy 10 year olds! I personally liked this game and yes it did had some BS in it but was verry entertaining to me. You dont have to keep saying why you hate the game, ITS A FUKING GAME!

#16 8 months ago
  17. swaggerbeast

If it was in SPACE it would be awesome

#17 8 months ago