Killzone: Shadow Fall file size is over 50GB, Sony confirms

Monday, 30th September 2013 16:56 GMT By Dave Cook

Killzone: Shadow Fall’s PS4 file size comes in at over 50GB, Sony UK’s Fergal Gara has confirmed. Good thing the PlayStation 4 has a 500GB hard drive then.

Speaking with Eurogamer, the site quizzed Gara on the rising popularity of downloads over physical releases. “First of all, [digital] is definitely going to grow as a means of consumption, “he replied. “And there are big innovations in the PS4 to make it more attractive and more easy gamer wise to want to download.

“The Play as you Download functionality, for example, means you don’t need the whole file before you go. This is a little bit counterbalanced by the fact the files themselves are getting bloody big. Killzone: Shadow Fall is an uber file–I think it’s cracking on for 50GB. It looks it, too, when you see it.”

On the PS4 download service, Gara admitted that it was not yet perfect. “It’s not perfect. It’s not seamless,” he continued. “The file version of the game versus the disc version of the game maybe needs to go through additional QA and additional testing. Some of the problems that have occurred have occurred on older machines, which of course when you go into the next-generation you at least get to reset and start again and everything’s the same age and new. That helps.”

Overall however, PS4′s download service will fare better than PS3′s. “The network will perform better on multiple levels, because it becomes not just a sales or gaming delivery but increasingly it becomes a social network,” he explained. “So it’s got to be a compelling experience on multiple levels. It’s going to be for no lack of investment, for no lack of effort and no lack of intention that things might fall a bit short. But we’re definitely moving in the right direction, and I’m confident when step on and understand its importance.”

What do you make of the old physical versus digital debate, especially when games like Killzone: Shadow Fall are breaking the 50GB point? Let us know below.

Via Gamespot.

1. monkeygourmet

So you can install roughly 5 games on the stock PS4 HD.

That’s roughly the same as Wii U, lol. Basically what they are saying is; if you buy a Wii U, Ps4 or Xbone, you’ll need to factor in a new HardDrive sooner rather than later.

#1 10 months ago
  2. gomersoul

Awesome, ten games and my hard drive is full

#2 10 months ago
  3. DrDamn

500GB HDD. This is hardly going to be the average either is it?

#3 10 months ago
  4. bojack

Why are you guys assuming that every game will be 50gb or higher?

#4 10 months ago
  5. LOLshock94

So much size for such poo gaym

#5 10 months ago
  6. LOLshock94

Bcuz us hear on vg R all Eediuts

#6 10 months ago
  7. DrDamn

@Dave
    Minor point but doesn’t “cracking on for …” mean getting close to but lower than?

#7 10 months ago
  8. monkeygourmet

@Dr Damn

Why not?

The only reason other titles may be smaller is they have to work on PS3 / 360 too… I’m guessing a lot of games going forward will be 30 – 50gb in size.

#8 10 months ago
  9. DrDamn

And if they average 30GB = 16 games, 40GB = 12 games. Quite a lot more than 5. How many full titles do you *need* to be instantly available?

#9 10 months ago
  10. Eregol

@4 It should be higher than 50GB because a Blu Ray can only hold 50GB on Dual Layer. Unless the drive on the PS4 can handle Quad layer which can reportedly hold 200GB.

As far as the hard drive goes, I’m going to look into replacing it with a 2TB HDD when I get mine. Should tide me over nicely through the PS Plus offerings.

#10 10 months ago
  11. fearmonkey

50GB?

Wow…. I am tying to think of a non MMO PC game that compares in size to that and cannot. I have some games approaching 25 to 30 GB but nothing that large as far as I know.

#11 10 months ago
  12. Fin

Roughly 5?
    The HDD is 500GB, Killzone is 50GB. How did you divide 500 by 50 and get 5?

#12 10 months ago
  13. monkeygourmet

Because dumb ass, I got it wrong! :D

I thought it was 250gb! ;)

#13 10 months ago
  14. Bloodstorm

Don’t start on the HDD size… You can uninstall/install games.

And the size of games will go slightly up but will stay fairly similar to the previous gen it’s not like we are jumping to 4K resolution…

And btw Killzone 3 was 41.5 Go… lots of that is FMV and languages stuffs.

And… of course the PS4 will be quad-layers (100GB BR) compatible, even the PS3 is.
    AFAIK PS3 could go to 16 layers (400GB) BR…

#14 10 months ago
  15. TheBlackHole

Erm… How big is a bluray disc?

#15 10 months ago
  16. Roxas3510

single-layer blu-ray holds 25GB and dual-layer holds 50GB.

I had planned on buying all of my games digital, but if most of them are going to be this high (or at least between 20-50GB), that’s going to eat up space fast. People don’t think it’s going to be a problem because they’re only adding up the games themselves. Don’t forget apps, dlc, etc. Comparing this to last gen (current gen), game installs were usually about 5-7GB and most dlc was about 1-2GB. DLC for next-gen I would assume may be 5-10GB. Maybe that’s way too much, but I’m just taking a guess. It’s a good thing the PS4 allows for playing games while they download; that’ll be helpful when it gets to the point where you have to uninstall-reinstall games to conserve space.

#16 10 months ago
  17. Roxas3510

I don’t think the PS3 uses a BD-XL drive so it’s limit is dual-layer (50GB). As for the PS4, with launch titles already starting at this size, I’d assume they’ll use a BD-XL drive since later on down the road, games will probably end up taking more space.

#17 10 months ago
  18. Xbone

I cant think of any game on pc that needs 50gb. Not one.

#18 10 months ago
  19. nollie4545

I can’t think of any PC game that large nor why I would want to buy it in optical format. Optical drives are last gen and old and slow.

#19 10 months ago
  20. Bloodstorm

@17 What part of PS3 (yeah 3!) can already read 16 layers Blu-rays (400Go) don’t you get ?
    And btw they will never ever change the drive format “along the way”.

#20 10 months ago
  21. gomersoul

So how good is the Xbox one blu ray drive, or is that another cock Ms want us to gobble?

#21 10 months ago
  22. Erthazus

and what the fuss is about?
    they are just not compressing the game. That’s all and they should not cause blu-ray is big to fit stuff in it. The game is probably 10 GB for a game and other 40 for cutscenes… but without compression their quality will be good and in 1080p.

GTAV for what it’s worth could be 100 GB or 200 GB if not for a compression.

#22 10 months ago
  23. DuckNation

Not every game is going to near this size expect multi platform games to be significantly smaller

Also on the HDD size this is why you just upgrade to a 2TB HD you know somthing the ps4 can do…. there problem solved

#23 10 months ago
  24. xino

how can 10 games fill up all the 500gb space?
    you guys seem to be forgetting half of ps4 games are all damn indie games!
    >:/

#24 10 months ago
  25. Opalauge

#25 10 months ago
  26. TrickyAudio

Good job the HDD’s are upgradable :)

#26 10 months ago
  27. TD_Monstrous69

To quote a famous PlayStation icon “Whoa!”

#27 10 months ago
  28. Johnnymaxx

You know, I’m all for the digital future. I can’t wait to not having to buy discs anymore. I will love to not having to spare room in my appartment to store discs, box and what not.

However, I felt really bad with GTA V release, which I opted for the digital game and I know now that all the problem with textures and pop ins are happening only in digital form. People who bought the disc version, are playing just fine.

So I was hoping that this would end on next gen, but reading this made me worried: “The file version of the game versus the disc version of the game maybe needs to go through additional QA and additional testing.”

I really hope they can fix it. I don’t mind downloading a big huge monster file (thank god my internet connection doesn’t have any download limit), but I do mind if the game runs poorly when compared to disc version.

#28 10 months ago
  29. Mr Sparkle

This can only get worse too right? If one of the first few games is 50GB, what’s to say down the line the average won’t be 60 or 75. Well, 500GB in PC terms is puny these days, I guess it is for consoles as well.

#29 10 months ago
  30. Roxas3510

My mistake, I don’t own a PS3 or anything blu-ray so I didn’t know 16 layer discs would work with older BD drives after a firmware update.

#30 10 months ago
  31. Eregol

A little bit of digging unearthed this

So, if 400GB discs are supported on PS3, you can bet they’ll be supported on PS4.

#31 10 months ago