GTA 5 could destroy reputation of Scottish border town, says councillor

Wednesday, 18th September 2013 13:03 GMT By Dave Cook

Grand Theft Auto 5 features a character called Hawick, a so-called “druggie hipster”, and this also happens to be the name of a Scottish border town. The town councillor now fear that the reference could destroy the location’s reputation. No really, this isn’t a joke.

But I wish it was.

Speaking with the BBC, local councillor David Paterson said the reference could, “destroy the reputation” of Hawick, and added that such “adverse publicity” was unfair as many people were “very proud” of the town.

I’m from Scotland and I’m sure a lot of Scots couldn’t even point Hawick out on the map, so I’m sure Paterson really has very little to worry about.

He added, “I am absolutely disgusted – there is a lot of history and a lot of good things happening in the town. We have got a lot of good things planned for this coming year. It is going to destroy the good reputation of the town.”

He continued, “Why did they pick on Hawick, it is a lovely town? It is perceptions, it is how people will perceive the town. They might perceive Hawick in a bad light and Hawick is a lovely place – a lot of people are very, very proud of Hawick.”

Hawick MSP (Member of Scottish Parliament) John Lamont added, “I, like many other Hawick residents, was shocked to hear that the name of the town had been used in Grand Theft Auto V. Not only is it a game which includes violence, sex and drugs, but the game’s producers themselves describe the area of Hawick in the game as having a ‘drug addict hipster vibe’.

He continued, “While some may take the view that any publicity is good publicity, I am sure that many local residents will see this as an insensitive move from Rockstar North,” and added, “They clearly do not know Hawick well, and that is why I have invited them to meet with me at my office on the town’s High Street. Hawick is one of the most beautiful towns in Scotland and I am sure that by showing them the town and telling them of its proud history they will realise the mistake they have made.”

I really don’t think many people have made this connection, and I’m yet to encounter the character in the game. Have you? Did you instantly think of a wee Scottish border town when you saw them?

Let us know below.

Via Scott.

1. DSB

Yeah, that dude isn’t fishing for publicity at all.

#1 10 months ago
  2. Coheno

This guys needs psychic help.

#2 10 months ago
  3. Dave Cook

As a Scot, I apologise for this man on behalf of my people.

#3 10 months ago
  4. zinc

I imagine this guy playing through GTA 5, happily slaughtering pedestrians & torturing folk until meeting Hawick…

“Crivens! Hep ma bob!! They dinna goon ta far noo, but!!!”

#4 10 months ago
  5. Dragon246

GTA 5 features a main character psycho called Trevor.
    Surely, now all Trevors of real world are psychos like him and have earned a bad name. Amirite?

That aside, its a PR stunt. Nothing more, nothing less, nothing else.

#5 10 months ago
  6. tmac2011

wow this is a weird one….

#6 10 months ago
  7. thesnowman

@5 HA HA HA

As a Scot who has been to Hawick, it would still never have been the first thing to come to my mind when someone mentions it in GTA5. Got to love politicians and faux outrage.

#7 10 months ago
  8. Dave Cook

@7 Totally. I think I’ve been there once when I was young and that’s it. I really think this guy is clutching at straws eh?

#8 10 months ago
  9. silkvg247

Wait, they have a psycho called Trevor? That’s my Dad’s name. I’m totally offended at a personal level and will now complain.

#9 10 months ago
  10. deathm00n

If he’s worried about the reputation of his town, imagine Obama. He must be under his desk crying right now. After all, the game is set in the United States isn’t it? United States must be a horrible place.

#10 10 months ago
  11. Dragon246

@9,
    I feel sorry for ya, your dad is supposedly a psycho because of GTA 5 :P
    /joke

#11 10 months ago
  12. salarta

Self-fulfilling prophecy. GTA5 would never have destroyed the border town’s reputation because it’s just one part of a video game. The councilor purposely linking the town to articles about GTA5, however, may do exactly what he claims he doesn’t want to happen. “Hey, it’s that town with the councilor that couldn’t handle a fictional world having a town with the same name!”

I think most people know why this is absolutely idiotic in terms of pushing the boundaries of creative censorship, too. What next, can’t have a character with the last name of Lincoln because it was Abraham Lincoln’s last name?

#12 10 months ago
  13. Joe Anderson

Oh dear, he’s giving us Scots a bad name.

#13 10 months ago
  14. CyberMarco

If so, imagine how fellow Parisians feel about Paris Hilton sharing the same name with France’s capital… Oh dear! :P

#14 10 months ago