Elder Scrolls Online faction PvP will be fair and balanced, says Zenimax Online

Wednesday, 11th September 2013 19:08 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

In The Elder Scrolls Online, players will have to choose between one of three factions to be members of, and according to Zenimax Online, the player’s faction decision will have far-reaching benefits and consequences in the MMO.

Speaking in a fan Q&A, Zenimax said the factions will be fighting it out in large-scale battles over the game world, the developers have made sure everything will balance things out. One of they ways they are doing this, is by implementing alliance population caps per campaign to make sure one alliance doesn’t fill up a campaign entirely.

“Three-sided battles actually allow for more player balancing options than systematic options. If one side is over-populated, the other two sides usually gang up on that alliance,” the post reads.

“There are also scoring incentives for alliances that are tailing behind when capturing resources and keeps from the winning Alliance if the score is imbalanced. You’ll get more points by taking keeps and resources from the winning alliance and holding your own keeps, helping you catch up in the overall score. Lastly, keeps can be captured with smaller groups than you may expect, so even under-populated alliances have a real shot at claiming the throne.”

This will also apply to smaller battles as well.

“Many of the quests from towns and from alliance entry locations are designed to send you into enemy territory. If you’re looking for a fight outside of large-scale keep battles, there’s a good chance you’ll run into enemies near Chorrol, Cheydinhal, Bruma, Cropsford, or Vlastarus.”

The Elder Scrolls Online is slated for a Mac, PC, PS4 and Xbox One release in 2014.

Thanks, PCgamesN.

1. TheWulf

Wow. They’re recycling exactly what ArenaNet said about Guild Wars 2 without explaining how they’re going to deal with the balance problems that that game had in PvP.

ZeniMax must think we’re all witless schmucks.

#1 11 months ago
  2. Hcw87

Sounds very much like wvwvw in GW2.

Also @1, when it comes to pvp, the structured PVP in GW2 is the most balanced you will find in any MMO.

If you mean wvw though, you may have a point. Whichever server has the most spare time during the nights for example, have no real problems getting a real advantage over the others while they’re sleeping.

#2 11 months ago
  3. GrimRita

I wish them luck but I am yet to see a developer nail pvp balance.

#3 11 months ago
  4. Hcw87

Pretty much impossible to do, but GW2 comes close.

Making gear upgrades cosmetic only, means noone has a gear-advantage over you. That’s pretty much the only thing they can do, before creating separate skills between PvE and PvP, which means double the work of balancing shit.

#4 11 months ago
  5. sebastien rivas

@ 2
    Yes Gw2 has one of the most balanced pvp I have seen or does it?

throw me an enemy with same profession based but whatever skill s/he wants and with a staff, I’ll go with my dagger+ focus or else and I will laugh around all day long.

Same as if I take my thief dual daggers, I ll laugh all day long against staff and mostly against dagger or alike.
    See me…… see me not, see me….. see me not. back stab, back stab, poofff see me not, back stab, petrify, back stab, hit, hit, poof see me not, back stab, poof see me not, back stab, back stab. The guy does not want to die…. bleed, bleed, poof see me not, petrify, bleed, bleed, poof see me not, back stab, back stab, wink, wink dead.
    And yes I used 3 types of stealths+ dagger skill stealth which makes me evade whenever I want.

Also the defender is a real joke when well skilled, you can go 4 or 5 around the dude all day long, s/he won’t go down. it won’t kill you unless you go blindly on its retaliation (if any).

Am I a pro, not at all, I got spanked so many time by my own mistakes but frankly while I agree the game is one of the most balanced out there, the game generally speaking sounds ridiculously limited in many ways which one of the factors was indeed reaching this sense of balance through upgrade cosmetic only and this among several other points then the game could not keep me engage more than a couple of months (1 month for PVE, 1 month for PvP) and I am far from hard to please!

I wish good luck to TESO for balancing anything, I for one do not believe in balance at all but pleasing a crowd or another as long as this ideal to reach a balance MUST be obtained/achieved while pure assymetry is the answer to balance Defence versus attack, solo versus group in a circle A beat B beat C beat A is the answer but if gamers could understand what they have in their hand in first place then perhaps, just perhaps could we reach an ideal of balance without falling in timing versus dmg base balance “is my skill up?”

#5 11 months ago