Dead Rising 3 is the hardest series entry yet, claims Capcom Vancouver

Thursday, 5th September 2013 11:38 GMT By Dave Cook

Dead Rising 3 is the hardest entry to the series to date, developer Capcom Vancouver has claimed. However, it’s only the hardest one yet if you choose to play it that way.

Speaking with OXM at gamescom, producer Mike Jones said, “It’s probably the most difficult Dead Rising game we’ve ever made. We wanted to sort of have our cake and eat it, serve both kinds of gamers.

“I’m the kind of gamer who just wants to be chilled, who doesn’t want to be on a timer or a schedule, but a lot of Dead Rising fans love that timer, and love that save system, and they love breaking controllers, I guess – throwing them against the wall. So if you’re a masochist, we’re not going to ruin it for you.”

Gamers won’t be funnelled through Dead Rising 3′s plot or time mechanic unless they choose to tackle Nightmare Mode. Otherwise the game gives players the option to just run riot in the city streets without pressure. One Capcom rep told the site, “You can take it seriously, as a zombie survival outbreak simulator, or you can do this nonsense. We’re laying down a canvas, and we’re letting you paint up that canvas and make the game how you want to make it.”

You can watch Sam’s exclusive Dead Rising 3 gameplay footage here, and check out my hands-on impressions piece here.

What do you think of Dead Rising 3 so far? Let us know below.

1. torjs99

two months to launch (must be on final build) and a theater demo only at eurogamer

I smell a stinker!

#1 11 months ago
  2. xFidelCashflow

So its extremely hard…if you play the story mode..? Is Story Mode the Nightmare Mode or is Nightmare Mode a seperate mode entirely? Is there no multiplayer like DR2? Then it’ll have its own sandbox mode on the side? How could the story mode of the hardest entry in the series be part of the story mode without being part of the story mode?

*brain explodes*

I hope they put out an instruction manual for how to put this shit together piece by piece when it releases -___-

#2 11 months ago
  3. Cobra951

@2: No, that would be dumb. I think he’s saying we won’t have to suffer through the hated timed mechanic except in the hard mode(s?). Being allowed to turn that damned timer off is the only way I’d ever consider playing another Dead Rising installment. It completely killed the 2nd game for me. So this is good news.

#3 11 months ago
  4. xFidelCashflow

@3: Yeah, I’m all for a sandbox Dead Rising. Roaming around & knocking heads off whenever you feel like it is perfect for this. I’m one of those people who searches for secrets in every single tiny corner of every single video game, not satisfied until everything has been looked at. Whether it was an RPG, shooter, whatever.

Saying I hated the mandatory timer in earlier installments would be an understatement.

#4 11 months ago
  5. TheBlackHole

@2 it’s a difficulty level.

#5 11 months ago