Mega Man creator takes to Kickstarter for spiritual successor

Sunday, 1st September 2013 23:28 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Mega Man creator Keiji Inafune has finally done what fans have been asking for since Kickstarter officially became A Thing: launched a crowdfunding campaign for a new side-scrolling action game in the style of his beloved blue hero.

Mighty No. 9 isn’t a Mega Man game, of course – Capcom owns the rights to Inafune’s creation – but its DNA is obvious. Inafune’s studio Comcept is seeking $900,000 for Mighty No. 9 through Kickstarter and has already raised over $600,000 after just one day.

In the pitch video, Inafune references Mega Man Legends 3, which was to be developed in collaboration with fans of the franchise, but was cancelled, much to the community’s disappointment. Mighty No. 9 will carry that spirit forward, as Inafune wants to involve backers in the design process via surveys, polls, contests and more.

The game is initially expected on PC, with other platforms as stretch goals, and it’s due in northern spring 2015.

Comcept and Inti Creates are partially self-funding the project and using Kickstarter to lower the risk; in an FAQ, the developer explained that “both companies will benefit more than they would in a typical publisher-funded setup once the game releases” – although working with a publisher at a later stage in the projecthas not been ruled out.

“This is not a case where the initial goal is set irresponsibly low, risking everything in the hopes that the Kickstarter campaign will pay off over expectations and get us where we secretly, actually need to be financially,” Comcept said.

The pitch video, campaign, and promotion at PAX this weekend are all being funded retroactively by the Kickstarter, too. Check out the video below and visit the campaign page to view available reward tiers.

1. DSB

This is gonna break the internet, surely?

#1 11 months ago
  2. Dark

that last pic…
    he’s gonna grind Capcom into dust, isn’t he.

#2 11 months ago
  3. MarcoosVGC

I was wondering why it took so long for the news story to appear on this site, but it’s almost at 75% of it’s goal now!

Really hoping enough people donate for the console versions, specifically Wii U!

#3 11 months ago
  4. Thegaiden

@2 If that last picture was a bit brighter, I could guarantee that would become a meme.

But more importantly, this is going to make r/gaming’s year…

#4 11 months ago
  5. BurritoZ

This just made my day, words cant describe the joy i feel. My childhood memories are coming back, dem feels T.T

Im donating 400$ on my next paycheck to this project, its alot of money but i fully want to support this project. Kids nowadays just play COD or BF or any FPS, but i would really love them to play the video games that made the gaming industry what it is today. I want them to experience the epicness that these games delivered us in the past, the anger of wanting to smash your snes or ps1 controller when you’d die, the hours people would put into these games. Games like these is what made video games and its sad to see that developers dont make enough games like these nowadays, but i am extremely happy that Mr. Inafune still wants to create side scrolling games and deliver the experience that i and many gamers grew up with.

MIGHTY NO.9 BRING IT!!! MY BODY IS READY!!!

#5 11 months ago
  6. salarta

I’m fully expecting that Capcom will sue Inafune and his team over this concept being so similar to Inafune’s own past creation, Mega Man. That’s the kind of self-absorbed scumbag company Capcom is, which is why they’ve lost so much great talent and farmed out IPs to developers that are much happier insulting an IP’s fanbase than treating the IP with respect. Regardless, I’m certainly hoping that Inafune gets to proceed with this and it becomes a success. And if Capcom interferes, I hope they get the thorough PR and financial thrashing they’ve deserved for a while now.

Naturally, I backed this. Though seeing how quickly it’s obtaining funds makes me very, very disappointed in the video game community given Shadow of the Eternals’ failure. It shows Shadow of the Eternals still could’ve very easily been funded if not for people pissy about one lone person that doesn’t have the level of power they think he does, and the actions of a past company that no longer exists.

#6 11 months ago
  7. DSB

@5 Kudos to you, sir. The most I’ve ever done is 100 dollars to my favourite developer. And then I spit in another 50 on a different drive.

Oldschool gaming isn’t dead though. They have nothing to do with Mega Man, but check out Super Meat Boy, Spelunky or Escape Goat anyway. Really fun, simple stuff.

#7 11 months ago
  8. BurritoZ

@7 thank you sir, and i will definietly check out those games you suggested.

#8 11 months ago
  9. Telepathic.Geometry

It’s only a dozen or so hours or so in and is already 75% funded. I’m fairly confident that the stretch goals will be realised, and then some. Lookin’ forward to paying full price for it when it comes out…

As for the Shadow of Eternals thing, not funding that is completely reasonable, considering the shady fucker on the staff. If Darth Sidious were in charge of the level design for Mighty No. 9, I’m sure it’d have trouble getting funded too…

#9 11 months ago
  10. sh4dow

O_O

… that music!
    Dear lord, it reminds me so much of the best Japanese scores (I believe especially about some song from the Shenmue OST). The ones I still listen to after years. And that subtle transition from slow and somber to more energetic and uplifting is just great.
    It’s a shame that the chiptune elements in the actual theme start so early already. I hope they’ll release an OST with some “ambient mix”.
    [edit]LOL there’s already one on the kickstarter page… Although I gotta say that’s TOO ambient for my taste… Oh well…[/edit]

Well… you guys are all only talking about the game, SOMEBODY has to talk about the music :P

I’m really looking forward to this, not a doubt in my mind that they’ll meet the goal.

#10 11 months ago
  11. sh4dow

For those who also love the music and didn’t bother to check out the source code of the site, I come bearing gifts (because it’s simply nicer to be able to listen to those themes over and over again):

#11 11 months ago
  12. Brenna Hillier

I’m tempted to back it so that if there’s ever a call for enemy/character design, I can campaign furiously for the inclusion of “Miss Tsuki and Baron the Dog”, seen briefly by the construction site and credited at the end of the pitch.

#12 11 months ago
  13. salarta

@10: Well, there’s a reason why that comes to your mind on the music, though you probably know that reason already: the music is by Manami Matsumae, the same woman that made the music for the original Mega Man.

#13 11 months ago
  14. Clupula

@6 – Okay, seriously? Shut the fuck up about Shadow of the Eternals.

No, in fact. I have a better idea. Take your head out of your ass and actually read about why Dyack is such a pariah…

and

If you can still defend him after reading these, then you’re just being stupid.

#14 11 months ago
  15. Clupula

I will send some money after they reach their goal. No interest in PC titles, but I’d love to play this on PS3 if they make the $2.5 million.

Looking at this, I can’t help but think that this is what Mega Man 10 should have looked like. Going old school NES was fine for 9, as a one time thing, but it shouldn’t have continued in the next title.

#15 11 months ago
  16. Telepathic.Geometry

@14: Woah, easy fella…

#16 11 months ago
  17. pcbros

I love that Mega Man 2 intro in the video ;)

@15 – Don’t give up on PC gaming. With Steam you can score great deals on games. Also, PC has one nice advantage, no worries about backwards compatibility. I bought a lot of Xbox Live Arcade games that might go away, unless XB1 supports them.

I think PC is perfect for indie games. They usually don’t require nasty specs, so most computers can run them just fine. I’m getting this on Steam day one!

#17 11 months ago
  18. DSB

@14 Seriously though, when your head is up your ass, and your remaining torso is up Denis Dyacks ass, I think you have a serious medical problem on your hands.

We are really gonna need a professional for that one. I don’t think you’re gonna get very far with just facts and common sense.

#18 11 months ago
  19. Clupula

@16 – That’s what she said.

#19 11 months ago
  20. Telepathic.Geometry

She certainly did. But I didn’t.

#20 11 months ago
  21. silkvg247

It’s almost hit the target at 6:30 am today

I wish them luck, but I smell a cease and desist. I believe it’s too close to megaman (dude even has the same poses and fighting stance) and will infringe on some bullshit copyright.

Sooo my prediction:

1, C&D from Capcom
    2, Fan backlash
    3, Capcom announce new megaman game
    4, It ends up being shite
    5, More fan backlash

#21 11 months ago
  22. salarta

@21: Pretty accurate sequence of events, but an addendum I’d like to make is that Capcom’s reason for announcing a new Megaman game won’t be to please the fans or to make money. It’ll be to spite Inafune, Megaman fans, and to reiterate their ownership of the Megaman copyright and anything that looks too much like Megaman.

I’ll be more than happy to help Capcom stop making money once that sequence of events plays out. They’ve been doing a fantastic job of giving people reasons with their treatment of Megaman, Devil May Cry and Resident Evil as of late, not even including the poor treatment toward creators that led to men like Inafune leaving them. Capcom’s transforming into another Sega or Atari, complete crap that only exists to bilk the money they can off the memory of when they used to be relevant.

#22 11 months ago
  23. Telepathic.Geometry

If Dark Souls can escape copyright infringement, this is surely safe too!

You can’t copyright robots with interchangeable weapons. You just can’t…

#23 11 months ago
  24. sb319

It definitely looks too much like Megaman. Also I don’t really see the point of an established dev using Kickstarter for something like this, something which is just a sequel / rehash. Not really in the spirit of Kickstarter in my opinion.

Also the tacked-on Linux port stretch goal. That’s a lot of work to do it properly, no one needs or wants this on Linux. Or rather, the venn diagram showing intersection between Linux users and fans of difficult old Japanese platform/combat games is pretty small. Find better stretch goals.

#24 11 months ago
  25. Telepathic.Geometry

Is the Linux goal not really a stealth Valve box version stretch goal?

#25 11 months ago
  26. SplatteredHouse

@6 The current theory online is that Capcom has two/three reasons that would deter it from legally hounding this project

1. Capcom could be criticised for not in the past, pursuing projects clearly heavily inspired by Megaman – all but texture swaps in some cases.

2. Precedent has it, that the decision went against the publisher in a similar case, because the art style used in the new game was considered to be individual to the particular artist, that was his style, how he made his living – so I guess, the court decided that he couldn’t be expected to purposely deviate from or alter it. The artist took that signature style with him when he left his former employ. (you’ll need to check online if you want details, Sal.)

3. PR jaw dropkick! Do they really want to risk the blastback from that action.

@23: No. 9′s a transforming robot. That’s a usp for Mn9, and forms a distinct difference from Inafune’s work whilst at Capcom (as well as facilitating some potentially intriguing gameplay possibilities! :D )

@24: Crowdfunding is particularly “in the spirit” of what Mr. Inafune was trying to do, until Capcom pulled the rug out, though! It’s not just a sequel/rehash…It’s an original title, inspired by a much-loved classic (which could practically be considered the start-place of its own genre – they could try getting that through copyright litigation; but they’d have to pull in so many other titles), and driven by its creator, and notable personnel involved with its success and ascension.

#26 11 months ago
  27. sh4dow

I thought she was a CG character until I read those credits…
    I lold.
    But… that poor dog…

#27 11 months ago
  28. TheWulf

It’s been a lovely day, so far, and this is good news stacked upon good news. Reality is being unusually kind. This came after a lovely bloke modified Saints Row IV’s werewolf mask to fix its issues, thus making that game more enjoyable for me than it already was. So it’s been a good day. And now this.

If I have one worry about this, it’s that the top concept 3D Screenshot is trying too hard to copy the modern cancer of desaturation. I hope that’s not a direction they go in, aesthetically, because if they want to really make this a thing of the past then it’s important to realise that one of the most important elements of retro gaming was vibrant colour.

Whether it was home computers or consoles, colour everywhere. That was the thing. So I’m hoping they’ll choose to go with a cell-shaded look, which would be absolutely perfect for what they’re trying to do.

Oh, and I dig that robot wolf. I dig that robot wolf so much. He’s basically red Treble, but I don’t care.

#28 11 months ago
  29. TheWulf

Robotic animals morphing into vehicles is pretty much a mainstay of Megaman, though! >_> As it was with Wotshisface, Megaman’s dog (whose design is more boring and thus never leaves an impression), and Treble, who was Bass’ dog. (Or Gospel and Forte, if you prefer.)

This project is making me nerd harder.

#29 11 months ago
  30. TheWulf

That’s a short-sighted assumption. There are computer nerds everywhere who hate what Windows does to their computer and who long to switch Microsoft’s crusty OS for a fresh, new dose of Linux. Support is picking up thanks to Gaben, but it’s still a matter of waiting.

Given enough time, you might be one of those Linux people. At least, considering Microsoft’s chosen direction of late.

#30 11 months ago
  31. sh4dow

Uhm… I’m talking about the actual, real life, pink dog.
    Not the thought of it being a character in a game. You can have a rainbow striped dog with 8 legs and no head in a game for all I care…

#31 11 months ago
  32. TheWulf

I’ve some more suggestions, if you’re interested (ordered alphabetically): Blood of the Werewolf (has a deme out), GIana Sisters, Megabyte Punch, and VVVVVV. If you’re after modern takes on retro-gaming, then those will make you very happy.

Also, if you’re okay with mainstream, then I can recommend every LEGO game TT Games has ever made. Especially the more recent ones. Pick up LEGO Batman 2 somewhere if you can, it is sublime.

#32 11 months ago
  33. TheWulf

Thaaat wasn’t clear from your post. I actually had to take a look at the Kickstarter to see what you were talking about, and that’s what I figured it was. My bad.

#33 11 months ago
  34. TheWulf

I will say one other thing, though. There’s a lot of sour sentiment for Capcom here right now. I hope that doesn’t stop people from picking up Dustforce for the consoles (if they don’t already have it for the PC).

It’s a brilliant game, and Capcom is only involved as a publisher. I wouldn’t want to see those guys hurt by their choice of publisher, especially when they have such a great game on their hands.

#34 11 months ago