The Division has Xbox One exclusive content after all

Tuesday, 20th August 2013 12:03 GMT By Dave Owen

Microsoft has announced at its Gamescom press conference that The Division will receive exclusive content on Xbox One “before and after” the game’s launch. The news comes only a week after game director Ryan Howard said there would be no unique features for any particular version.

The online third-person tactical shooter is in development at Ubisoft Massive for Xbox One, PS4, and, as was also just announced, PC. There’s no word on what the exclusive content will be, nor whether it will be timed DLC or entirely unique features.

This goes against what we reported last week, when Ryan Bernard told OXM when asked about the possibility of exclusive content. He said: “Currently, right now, because we’re releasing for both platforms, we want the best game experience for both. We’re not planning specific content or specific unique, I guess, elements for either platform.

“We have a long development cycle, and who knows what will happen by the time the game’s released? But at the time, currently we’re not planning anything unique.”

It seems that a lot can change in a week.

Thanks, CVG.

1. Hcw87

Man, PS4 is trailing behind bigtime when it comes to exclusive content for their console.

#1 8 months ago
  2. redwood

“it seems that a lot can change in a week”
    or that people lie :)

#2 8 months ago
  3. Beta

Money talks.

#3 8 months ago
  4. robmlufc

MS rushing through some deals, must be a bit worried! Exclusive content is always crap.

#4 8 months ago
  5. Hamster34

Trailing behind in content? So what…? If MS seem to think that buying exclusive content will win the ‘war’ for them, so be it. Hasn’t helped them this generation, and it won’t next either.

Where MS are up on content, Sony are up on features, games, applications, power… you know, the things that matter.

#5 8 months ago
  6. OmegaSlayer

YAWN

#6 8 months ago
  7. monkeygourmet

Money Walks… Dirty cat I want c’ha, Dirty cat I need ya

#7 8 months ago
  8. Beta

@7 Indeed :)

#8 8 months ago
  9. Mike W

Don’t you think it’s fair that MS will get this? Sony already has exclusive content for AC 4 and Watchdogs, maybe you missed that.

But I see that you’re trying to stir up some shit, so can you please stop it, before you messed up this thread with this stupid fanboy crap…please.

#9 8 months ago
  10. Beta

I think a fanboy free thread is unfortunately impossible on any site..

#10 8 months ago
  11. Djoenz

PC gamers and PS players are being owned by this foul scheme. . . I already hated the fact COD has timed exclusive. . .

Imagine GTAV and Watchdogs with exclusive or timed exclusive content. . . sigh

@9 watchdogs and ac4 has exclusive content on ps4? I did not know tht. . Hcw is not a fanboy btw.

#11 8 months ago
  12. absolutezero

Well what other reason do you have to buy one console over the other seeing as apart from a couple of slight differences they are nearly exactly the same.

Aside from blind brand loyalty of course.

#12 8 months ago
  13. Hamster34

PC and PS games get their own share of exclusive and/or timed content.

You can thank MS for it all happening though, it was they who started it.

Personally I stick to the console that offers me, the gamer, what I need and it’s still the PS platform. Better first party support, exclusive games, better pad, better hardware.

MS are just doing what they always do.. throwing money at it till it works or is successful.

#13 8 months ago
  14. absolutezero

I can’t think of a single multiplatform game available on the PC thats had timed exclusive content. Its a console thing.

#14 8 months ago
  15. Djoenz

Well I want the PS4 to succeed and crush the Xbox1, but right now neither one of the next gen titles wowed me. . I wont buy either one.

#15 8 months ago
  16. Tech-N9ne

@Djoenz

PS players? Wasn’t BF3 DLC timed exclusive to PS3. As someone does not play COD but plays BF3 on Xbox 360 that was annoying.

Both company pull this stunt, its just more annoying for PS fans because Microsoft got the best deal on the biggest franchise. If Sony could they would make the same deal, period. They already made a similar deal with Activision on Destiny. Its called business.

#16 8 months ago
  17. Djoenz

I dont play BF frequently but yeah thats annoying no matter which company or platform. Either way its totally annoying. Is it really a system seller timed exclusive? I enjoyed xbox games, but Im too used to playstation to invest in xbox and the initial policies put me off so much. .

#17 8 months ago
  18. Joe Musashi

Yup. PS and PC get plenty of exclusive content. Publishers like Ubisoft and EA are smart to play the platform holders off against each other. For example, Ubisoft have previously given ’45 mins of exclusive content’ in some Assassins Creed games for PS and here they’re giving exclusive content in an Xbox One game. Winner: Ubisoft. :)

And, check your history. EA and Ubisoft in particular exploit platform launches like no other publishers around. Ubi always has deals and games ready to roll for every platform launch.

I don’t think I’ve played a game this gen where I’ve felt I’ve been undersold on content or features. But I do think it’s smart to trade on that ‘glass half empty’ psychology where people feel that one side of the fence is getting more than them – regardless of how meaningful it actually turns out to be. It’s all about mindshare – not meaning.

But, look at it this way, if a publisher has a game to sell on multiple consoles and they offer some exclusive content to one and not the other – they’re not going to risk making that content so integral and so high-profile as to exclude the potential buyers of the same game for that other platform.

Also: It’s funny to watch supposed neutral gamers pounce on this sort of stuff.

JM

#18 8 months ago
  19. pcbros

It’s funny how Sony fanboys react. For every good thing that happens to Xbox One, you get a “so what!?” comment.

I think exclusives and exclusive content are a pretty big deal.

For example if Titanfall ends up being a huge game, it will attract people to the Xbox One because you can’t get it on the PS4.

If I’m deciding on whether to get a game, like the Division, for my PS4 or Xbox One… I will always get the better version (more content, better online, etc).

So instead of crying, “so what?!”… “Microsoft is desperate!”, how about you ask Sony to step it up and compete.

#19 8 months ago
  20. zoopdeloop

@19 know what,almost every supposedly exclusive DLC i’ve purchased on many games on 360 or ps3 wasn’t something that actually added anything to the games at all.I could easily do without them.
    Better version just for DLC is over exaggeration.

#20 8 months ago
  21. Djoenz

You should have the full experience imo no matter what platform or they should alter the price of the game accordingly. We dont see that happening no? Timed exclusive and exclusive is bullsheet for the customers.

If ps4 version has exclusive content the pc and xbox version should be like a couple of bucks cheaper and vice versa. Timed exclusive is just annoying. Season pass my ass.

#21 8 months ago