Half-Life voice actor ‘misspoke’ about Half-Life 3 suspension

Monday, 19th August 2013 12:24 GMT By Dave Owen

The Half-Life 3 rumour mill rumbles on, as the Half-Life voice actor who last week said that the long-awaited sequel was no longer in development has now claimed that he ‘misspoke.’

The actor in question is John Patrick Lowrie, who voiced Odessa Cubbage in Half-Life 2. Last week he said that “as far as I know they are not developing HL3 now for several reasons.”

The comment has now been removed from Lowrie’s personal blog, and has been replaced with an explanation as to the U-turn.

“My comments just seemed to cause a whole bunch of confusion and when I tried to minimize the confusion I misspoke and caused a whole bunch more confusion,” he said. “The most important thing to know about voice actors is that we’re the last to know anything. We don’t find out about a project until we get hired to do voices for it.

“What I was trying to say before (and failed) is that whatever Gabe Newell has to say about a project is the best info you’re going to get. He owns the company and knows what’s going on.

“Sorry that I gave the impression that I know what’s going on. I really wasn’t trying to and I really don’t know.”

This should be filed as another result of fan excitement. It’s a file that’s getting rather thick now. Half-Life is arguably the gaming community’s most wanted sequel. Whenever it gets mentioned, the internet goes a little bit crazy.

Many thanks, CVG.

1. unacomn

Half Life 3 confirmed!

(I’ve been saying they’re working on it ever since Doug Lombardi said they wouldn’t be making episodic games anymore, since they weren’t that episodic to begin with, so it’s back to the monolithic style)

#1 12 months ago
  2. actuallyisnotafox

my guess is that the half life 3 speculation is probably the best thing valve has rn, it creates so much hype, that him saying that… i can just see why he’d say that and although i hope it is being worked on… so yeah :)

#2 12 months ago
  3. Erthazus

As I said from the start that Voice Actors KNOW SHIT.

#3 12 months ago
  4. bradk825

My guess (and it is a total guess) is that it’s not being actively worked on, but it’s not ruled out either. In other words, it’s in development hell.

#4 12 months ago
  5. Unknown_Gamer

I’m expecting micro$oft payed Valve so much Cash to make this Exclusively on XFail .

What a disgusting move from a disgusting money grabbing company to draw attention .

#5 12 months ago
  6. Major Mayhem 70

I see why your the unknown gamer….

#6 12 months ago
  7. zinc

Little known fact, but Nolan North was the voice of Gordon Freeman…

;-)

#7 12 months ago
  8. Edo

@7 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8E_zMLCRNg

#8 12 months ago
  9. ps3fanboy

sorry to say it guys but this game you can just forget about… if it ever appear it will be when your in the retirement home.

#9 12 months ago
  10. broketm

- Nolan North: “HL3 was on hold because you can’t combine mo-capped faces with swivelling of heads blah blah …”
    - Public: Uuhm… ok. So no HL3?
    - Nolan North: “I didn’t say that, I know nothing of anything”

Wait? what?

#10 12 months ago
  11. John117

Seriously, why are people still waiting for this game? Half-Life 2 was not so good that the fabled sequel deserves this much attention… And considering what happens to games in development hell HL3 will probably crash and burn during release, which Valve would never allow thus the game will never be released…

#11 12 months ago