Shadowrun Returns first patch out, tablet and Linux version inbound

Monday, 5th August 2013 03:13 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Harebrained Schemes is still beavering away behind the scenes on Shadowrun Rteurns, and has outlined its plans for support of the RPG going forward.

The game’s first patch released over the weekend, and is available automatically through Steam or via a repeat download for DRM-free purchasers. The patch notes reveal a collection of bug fixes but also plenty of balancing – various firearm skills now use less ammunition, for example.

In a blog post, Harebrained Schemes said it will continue working on bug fixes and balancing for future updates, but has also turned its attention to other tasks.

Development of the Linux version began last week, and a test build is already in the works. The port is proving challenging and the team expects it to “take some time to wrangle” various Linux errors “into submission”.

At the same time, the developer is working on more localisations. It expects to have Spanish, Italian, German, and French versions ready to play by early October.

Those who already have the game and have finished the included campaign will be pleased to learn that the Berlin campaign is already being prototyped.

A tablet version for Android and iOS was expected alongside the Mac and PC version, but was pushed back. Harebrained Schemes expects to have finished work on the mobile release within a few weeks, but can’t give a release date due to unpredictable certification processes. Note: the tablet version doesn’t include the editor and won’t be able to access user-created content. Community content will be bundled and released for the mobile version sporadically.

Speaking of the editor, the developer has a bunch of new tutorials available on the game’s wiki.

Shadowrun Returns launched late last month. It is the first of several major, nostalgia-driven Kickstarters to make it to release. It’s reviewing quite well.

Harebrained Studios’ next project is a tabletop game with tablet support called Golem Arcana.

Thanks, Blue’s News.

1. TheWulf

This turned out to be as fun as I could have hoped, but oh goodness gracious did they break things with patch 1.0.2. Not sure if it’s still broken at the moment, but I’m glad I had my non-Steam downloadable version (from the HBS site) of 1.0.0 handy.

#1 1 year ago
  2. lubu

by first you mean third ? the game is now 1.0.3 and it’s the third update of the game

#2 1 year ago
  3. Brenna Hillier

From the blog post: “The First Patch is Away”. This is the only update Harebrained Schemes considered a proper patch at time of writing.

#3 1 year ago
  4. deathm00n

It still don’t save in your game in a manageable way? I was playing through the campaign and decided to try the editor. Turns out I lost my campaign saving, didn’t went back to the game since then.

#4 1 year ago
  5. YoungZer0

@4: That sounds more like a bug.

#5 1 year ago
  6. viralshag

I’m waiting to see some highly rated user content for this game because from what I played I thought it was extremely average at best.

I wasn’t a fan of Shadowrun before this game (because I didn’t know about it, not because I didn’t like it) and the way some fans talked I was expecting a lot more.

#6 1 year ago
  7. deathm00n

@5 I don’t think so, it makes sense. If the game has no way to save besides autosave and I’m playing the campaign, then switch to the editor and test my own campaign, then it will ovewrite the original autosave.

#7 1 year ago
  8. TheWulf

Play the original Neverwinter Nights. It’s known as one of the more enjoyable PC experiences, but you wouldn’t think so based upon the absolutely awful campaigns. Especially that it was by BioWare. Here’s the thing, though: NWN had exactly the same setup as Shadowrun Returns, and just like NWN, the campaign of SR:R doesn’t even show much of what the editor is capable of, overall.

However, what made NWN special were the brilliant campaigns made for it. I expect the same to be true of SR:R. Though I did enjoy Dead Man’s Switch, I actually enjoyed that it was a game about something as seemingly mundane as a murder investigation, but set in a truly fantastic world. I’d like to see more of that. It’s like that every fantastic setting has to have one of those generic “ERMAGHERD WE NEED TO SAVE THE WURLD!” plots.

I’d love to see more smaller scale stuff in fantastic settings, to be honest. I’m sick of saving the world, at this point.

#8 1 year ago
  9. YoungZer0

@7: Use the rewind and copy feature in the loading menu.

#9 1 year ago