Saints Row 4 not next-gen due to Volition’s experience on Summoner

Thursday, 18th July 2013 23:14 GMT By Brenna Hillier

PS2 launch title Summoner put Volition Inc off ever rushing to meet a console launch deadline ever again.

IGN asked Volition’s Jim Boone why Saints Row 4 hadn’t been produced for next-generation hardware. The answer is partly timing and partly hard-won experience.

“We’d been working on [Saint's Row 4] for a little while and hearing the rumours about the timeline the new consoles might come out, but we didn’t know for sure,” he said.

“The big thing for us was, we wanted to make sure we had time to do the game right. Going back in our history, we did Summoner way back in the day as a launch title for PS2 and it was hard. We were able to do it but it was brutal. There were things we had to rush as we just didn’t have time to polish.”

Boone said Volition never even considered making the first Saints Row an Xbox 360 launch title, despite the good timing.

“We’d learnt from our past and weren’t about to pump the game out and cut corners,” he said.

“That’s why with Saint’s Row IV we didn’t want to do the thing we did with Summoner. Saints Row 1 was the blueprint: doing what’s right for the game rather than rushing to get something out.”

Elsewhere in the interview, Boone said Volition isn’t sure what it’s next project is; it’s relationship with new owner Koch Media is still finding its feet.’

Saints Row 4 is due on PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 on August 20 in North America and on August 23 in Europe.

1. Hcw87

Makes alot of sense, considering SR4 is basically SR3.1 with even worse humor.

#1 9 months ago
  2. Tavarish

@1 But you are eating GTA 5 up even when GTA games have been same thing since GTA 3?

#2 9 months ago
  3. Hcw87

That’s fine, because the GTA games have allways been good.

Same can not be said about SR.

#3 9 months ago
  4. Lengendaryboss

Saint Row 1 and 2 were good declined from Saint Row 3 then 4 from my POV, its subjective though.

#4 9 months ago
  5. TheWulf

The GTA games have always been aimed at the pre-teen mindset, as I’ve mentioned before. It’s just what a person’s tastes lean toward, I suppose. The outright sociopathic characters of Saints Row cut too close for some people. You have those, like #1, who want to be patted on the back and told that they’re a good boy, good boy, good boy.

Yeeeah no.

I’d just prefer my games to treat me as if I had a modicum of intellect. Trying to portray my character as a goody two-shoes who slaughters grandmas (something you can do in GTA, but not in Saints Row, I’ll add) is so much of a false dichotomy that it sickens me. It’s just really patronising, and I don’t think anyone who’s smart and self-aware enough could stomach it.

You killed a bunch of cops… but you’re a good boy, you had your reasons! You’re good people! Such a good boy.

That’s GTA since and including San Andreas to a tee. I very much doubt that V will be any different.

So… No thanks.

For all that can be said about Saints Row, it’s better than that.

#5 9 months ago
  6. TheWulf

Also, it’s kind of sad to see people fetishise familiarity so much to the point of wanting every damn game to be a repeat of the last (just like GTA is and always will be). That is also nauseating, and depicts a greater lack of intelligence. See, I want innovation from my games, I want them to try harder, and to try different things.

B-B-B-But it’s not about gangs any more!

Should it be? Does it have to be? It’s evolved beyond that, it’s mutating, changing, becoming different things, and not staying in this static frame of mind that bogs down so may franchises. Which, conversely, is why I hate franchises so much.

Every Assassin’s Creed game is the same. GTA III through Vice City were the same, then they started the ‘good boy’ nonsense with the main character as the only change, and they continued to be the same.

At least Volition is trying to shake things up a bit.

You may not agree with how they’re doing it, but at least they’re bloody making the effort.

#6 9 months ago
  7. Hcw87

Holy shit man. You’re saying that the SR series are NOT aimed at the ”pre-teen mindset”, whereas GTA is? Are you serious?

3 foot dildo? Dubstep-gun?

Also, if you’re so against familiarity, why are you even defending Saints Row? It’s basically the same freaking game as The Third, with even more of the same humor.

Watch the latest trailer of GTAV and tell me that any of those main characters are the ”good guy”. Do some research before your paragraphs, because you make no sense.

#7 9 months ago
  8. xxJPRACERxx

@TheWulf

People love GTA because of the story, the characters, the satire, dark humor and awesome world.

When I play GTA IV I don’t think I’m Niko, I’m just controlling him in the world but I don’t identify myself to him. So that shit you wrote: “You have those, like #1, who want to be patted on the back and told that they’re a good boy, good boy, good boy.” is just BS. For me Niko is a bad guy.

And there’s nothing wrong cheering for bad guys, there’s tons of movies and games where the hero is a bad guy.

But you’re just too intelligent for us, I think you’ll be happier if you just leave us alone and never come back! Ok, good boy, now go!

#8 9 months ago
  9. xxJPRACERxx

#6 “That is also nauseating, and depicts a greater lack of intelligence.”

You know what, oh great superior being… FUCK YOU! Play with your shit and just STFU!

#9 9 months ago
  10. Ireland Michael

@9 Didn’t you hear? Saints Row is all post-modern and shit now.

#10 9 months ago
  11. Armitage Shanks

Wulf talks about the GTA games being patronising yet consistently posts the most patronising comments you will find on VG247,classic.

#11 9 months ago
  12. VibraniumSpork

C’mon guys, isn’t there room for both? I’ve played every GTA and Saints game and loved them all, for different reasons. They both do the sandbox thing brilliantly, they both have their own particular tones and sense of humor and both have, over the course of their franchises, been seen to borrow or get inspiration from little bits of each other.

Personally, I think that if you’re into sandboxin’ then alternating between the two makes for a pretty awesome one-two punch. Just sayin’.

#12 9 months ago