Final Fantasy 14: A Realm Reborn’s Xbox 360 snub is due to Microsoft’s policies, says Square

Tuesday, 9th July 2013 08:51 GMT By Dave Cook

Final Fantasy 14: A Realm Reborn is heading to PS3 and PC August 27, but is notably absent on Xbox 360. Developer Square-Enix has confirmed that the game’s absence is due to Microsoft’s continued reluctance to share game servers with other platforms.

RPGsite reports that the game’s director Naoki Yoshida made clear the reasons for the snub in a new interview. While the MMO will support cross-play between PS3 and PC players, Microsoft finds the idea unpalatable.

“The main reason from our side is that I don’t want the community to be divided; to be split into two or more,” he said. “For example, one player might be on the PC version, another might be on the PS4 version, and I’m playing the Xbox version – but we’re not able to join the same game servers. That is just… I just don’t like the idea. I disagree with it.

“To be frankly honest with you, there are now so many mobile devices, smart phones, everything — why would you ever just stick to one platform from the hardware aspect? Just — make it open to everyone? That’s my opinion.”

“I would love for as many players as possible to enjoy the game worldwide, so from a business point of view it could make sense to have it on the Xbox platforms. But as I mentioned earlier, that would bring about the tragedy that somebody might have to give up their existing character. Then players might get frustrated, and then they ask us – ‘Square Enix, can’t you do something?’ and then… yeah. Unless that happens, we can’t really do anything.”

He added explicitly that, “The policy has not changed on Microsoft’s side,” ruling out the chance for a truly connected cross-play world across PC, PS3 and Xbox 360.

What do you make of the above? Should Microsoft open up more, or will it never happen? Let us know below.

Thanks LegendaryBoss.

1. FrayJoker

Exact same problem with Dust 514. I can sort of appreciate why Microsoft want total control over the online experience of LIVE, and certainly it matters from the perspective of security. That said, 360 owners have definitely missed out on something great in Dust 514, and may continue to do so as online features become more and more central to all gaming experiences.

I’ve noticed that a lot of developer problems with Microsoft comes from their inflexibility. While it made sense at the start of this console generation, now we all seem to have that online thing down, perhaps the time has come to be a bit more trusting and forgiving of developers.

I really hope that the fact they recently dropped fees to game patches is an indicator of such a trend.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Clupula

@1 – I think they just dropped the fees because of the negative P.R. they were getting concerning the indie crowd. Once the XBox One is selling regularly, they will probably re-institute those fees. Microsoft do not have the best history when it comes to stuff like that.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Ge0force

Devs should continue to ignore Microsoft until they get rid of their ridiculous policies. If enough devs keep ignoring the Xbox, that’s only a matter of time.

@2 MS only dropped the fee for x360 games, not for Xbox One games afaik.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Judicas

What I don’t understand about this is doesn’t final fantasy 11 online share servers with PC & Xbox 360 & PS2? Did they change the policy so just new games aren’t allowed to share or have they forgotten what they did in previous games…? I really want to buy ff 14 and I want to buy it on Xbox one (or 360). I believe I read Elder Scrolls Online also is sharing servers between ps4 & pc but the xbox one users will be segregated… Really hope someone contacts microsoft sometime to find out why they want less sales :(

#4 1 year ago
  5. Clupula

@4 – To my knowledge, 360 servers are separate on FFXI. I could be wrong, but that’s what I’ve always heard.

#5 1 year ago
  6. ps3fanboy

It’s time to get rid of the 360 dinosaur. It clearly can’t cope with massive online games.

#6 1 year ago
  7. TheBlackHole

“360 owners have definitely missed out on something great in Dust 514″

Erm… Have you played Dust 514?

#7 1 year ago
  8. Strifeywolf

Actually Final Fantasy 11 shared servers with ps2 360 and pc. I know this because I have been able to log on to my account on each of the systems to access my character and play with my friends.

Maybe this rule only applies to new games?

#8 1 year ago
  9. Clupula

@8 – Hmmm…weird. I’ve constantly heard different. Oh well.

Maybe it’s because they didn’t see the PS2 as a competitor.

#9 1 year ago
  10. jsbanes

@4 @5 all ffxi releases ARE still cross platform as the game is still operating. Phantasy Star Universe was also cross platform so ya… guess the only thing to assume is that MS changed policies later as both ffxi and psu are early titles

#10 1 year ago
  11. MCTJim

yeah, lets share our servers with a system that was hacked not once but twice giving away peoples information….thanks but no thanks.

#11 1 year ago
  12. Ireland Michael

FFXI was basically one of the few exceptions to the rule. As I understand it, FFXI was essentially given a free pass. They were making a huge push into the Japanese market at the time, with exclusive JRPGs and everything.

#12 1 year ago
  13. aprotosis

Yeah, FFXI is cross-platform on the 360. What changed between now and then are security policies. Yoshida-san here is being a bit glib with the details actually.

There is no MS policy that says games cannot be cross-platform. What their network security policy does state is that in order to be cross-platform, they game needs to implemented security features that are 1:1 with Xbox Live. You see, when it comes to network security you are only as strong as the weakest link. If the game is cross-platform then a person could potentially hack into XBL through the PSN across the game’s server connection. And as we have seen, with the PSN’s poor network security this actually was a very real possibility in the past.

Make no mistake, MS’s security on XBL is no joke and as of today still remains untouched to network hackers. (Social hacks of course are different) It would cost a crap ton of money for a game maker to support XBL’s security policies. So the problem is double, XBL might be described as “too secure” and other companies don’t want to spend the money it would take to support XBL cross-platform play.

#13 1 year ago
  14. Lengendaryboss

Sure we will take your word over an developer’s words.

#14 1 year ago
  15. Clupula

@13 – Do you ever choke on all the bullshit in your mouth?

#15 1 year ago