Warframe dev praises PS4 tech, says DualShock 4 is best controller yet

Friday, 5th July 2013 08:39 GMT By Dave Cook

Warframe developer Digital Extremes is bringing its free-to-play ninja shooter to PS4 at launch, and in an interview with VG247, has discussed the console’s technical power and PC-like architecture. The studio also championed the DualShock 4 controller as the best console pad they’ve ever held.

Digital Extremes is bringing its free co-op shooter Warframe to PS4 at launch and it will bear negligible differences to the PC build. It is almost like-for-like and allows cross play between Sony’s hardware and PC, making for a truly connected co-op experience. The team has repeatedly stressed that it wants no content differences between builds. At all.

When asked if Digital Extremes approached Sony with a view to bringing Warframe to PS4, creative director Steve Sinclair replied, “They approached us actually, I guess it’s coming up to about four months ago. We were in our open beta and rocking the Steam charts there, and Sony got in contact with James, who’s the owner of the company and said, ‘Hey what would you think about bringing Warframe over to our next gen console?

“We had, probably, a 30-second conversation about if we should do it, “Sinclair added, and then, “[Sony] squeezed themselves to send us as many dev kits as possible and three months later we were on the [E3] show floor at PlayStation 4 showing Warframe playable.”

The speed with which Digital Extremes brought Warframe to PS4 in a playable state for E3 speaks volumes about how closely akin the PS4 architecture is to PC systems. I asked Sinclair to describe just how closely matched both platforms are in reality.

“Warframe supported 64-bit and DirectX 11 for a long time, and there’s a lot of commonality in that sort of architecture with what they’re doing on PS4. They’ve got a lot of cores on there, so, I was every surprised how fast we got up and running – I think Sony was as well.”

“When we went to [E3] and people said, ‘Holy smokes this is on PlayStation 4, it looks amazing.’ Maybe they were Warframe fans so they were just trying to appease us, but they said it was one of the best-looking games they saw at the show.

“In three months time, that’s a testament to how developer-friendly this version of PlayStation is. It’s absolutely awesome. What surprised me most is how kick-ass the GPU is – the graphics are super, super high-end.”

Sony’s encouragement of a flat-development architecture seems to have ushered many indies into the PS4 fold, and the console’s technical aspects are easy to understand and utilise. Sinclair stressed that while PS3 was a powerful console it was “Byzantine”, and that PS4 is powerful yet manageable.

The studio is also impressed with DualShock 4, and this new version of Warframe will allow for gesture controls using the controller’s motion functionality – only if the player chooses. Sinclair added, “There are cool things on PS4 that we are taking advantage of. The DualShock 4 is the best game controller I’ve ever put my hands on, I’m so excited about it.

“It has touch screen controls. At E3 we showed little swipe gestures to activate your Warframe abilities that people thought was really cool. There are the ‘social features’ like the share button, all those integrated features where you can say ‘I just did this cool thing in Warframe’ and that pushes out over your network.”

We’ll have our full Warframe interview live soon, but for now you can play it on PC for free here.

For now, what do you make of Sony’s approach to indies and independent, publisher-less projects like Warframe on PS4? Let us know below.

1. melonbuster1

Lol.. I hope its better than the ds3

#1 10 months ago
  2. redwood

awesome to have a f2p title at launch :D and I really like warframe’s pc version. hoping to get my hands on the ps4 version too.

#2 10 months ago
  3. DuckNation

yeah free launch titles are great to have now i can save up some money to get other great ps4 launch titles after buying the ps4+PsPlus and bf4

#3 10 months ago
  4. mistermogul

“The studio also championed the DualShock 4 controller as the best console pad they’ve ever held.”

I hope this is true as I am scared to leave my 360 controller behind when I get PS4.

I found DS1, 2 & 3 to be uncomfortable and inferior to Xbox;s controllers so hope DS4 is a big improvement over those…

#4 10 months ago
  5. Dave Cook

@4 it’s the DS3′s L2 and R2 buttons man, I just can’t get used to them, even now.

#5 10 months ago
  6. Llewelyn_MT

It’s different. Yay for cross-platform play! I have many gaming buddies planning on getting a PS4.

#6 10 months ago
  7. mistermogul

@5 – Yeah they’re pants for sure. I think on DS4 they are concaved though right? Should stop our fingers sliding off them!

#7 10 months ago
  8. Pytox

@5 yea same, especially when in God of war -_- :p

#8 10 months ago
  9. Fin

I’ve read a few places that people actually think the DS4 is better than the 360 pad.

Fingers crossed.

#9 10 months ago
  10. mistermogul

@9 – I really hope so as for me the 360 pad is the best to date…

#10 10 months ago
  11. redwood

@5 the new shoulder buttons are just like x360′s trigger buttons

#11 10 months ago
  12. DrDamn

Couple of nice points in this article. 1) Sony going to them, not the other way around. 2) Speed at which they got stuff up and running so well. 3) Comments on DS4 (Dave have you tried clip on triggers? They help a lot though can come off at in opportune moments).

For speed of development Mark Cerny gave a talk recently where he put up a slide showing dev time to get a decent 3D engine up and running on various PS systems. It highlights how good the PS4 is and how bad the PS3 was.

#12 10 months ago
  13. Dave Cook

@7 correct yeah, concave for the win :)

@12 I haven’t tried them actually. Maybe I should :D

#13 10 months ago
  14. Petulant Radish

It all comes down to the controller for me, I’ve always hated the Playstation one as it’s too small and I don’t get on with the stick placement. When the original Xbox S pad came out I was in love, and the 360 made it almost perfect for my needs. If my thumbs touch using the PS4 pad when using it I’m not getting one, which means the 360 will be my last console as I sure as hell am not buying an Xbox One as it stands.

#14 10 months ago
  15. Petulant Radish

@12, anything that needs a third party add on to make it useable just shows how poor a product it is.

#15 10 months ago
  16. Ge0force

@5 Buy some Giotek Real Trigger on eBay, they make a huge difference!

#16 10 months ago
  17. Christopher Jack

@14, Many devs and journalists have claimed that the DS4 is better than even the X360 controller. Also the X1′s controller is smaller than X360 while the DS4 is actually larger.

#17 10 months ago
  18. ps3fanboy

of course it is the best after all it’s a part of the best console, the ps4. :D

#18 10 months ago
  19. super3001

xbox controller is always best

best size best shape best sticks best stick placement. fact.

now even better with 7.1 passthru and rumble trigger

dualshock can never compare

#19 10 months ago
  20. OlderGamer

I have to be honest, if the PS4 doesn’t have strong 3rd party controller support(read: XB style layouts), I am screwed. IMO, DS is the worst line of pads in history. Just unnatural as hell. PS4 is my next gen system choice, but the pad scares me.

#20 10 months ago
  21. Petulant Radish

@17 I’ll have a go on it before writing it off but I don’t like the sticks like the Playstation set up, they were always an afterthought from the PS1 original pad. It’s more natural for me to have the sticks placed like the Xbox. As I said, the Xbox One pad looks good (I didn’t know it was smaller though) but as I’m not buying the console that’s irrelevant to me.

#21 10 months ago
  22. hitnrun

Sony needs to cut the corporate pride and nostalgia crap and make Westerners a controller for the 21st Century. The people who identify with the controller they used to play FFVII are small change, however vocal they are.

#22 10 months ago
  23. GK

ps3 controller was the best,i hope so they keep in tact :)

#23 10 months ago
  24. DrDamn

@21 and possibly @20
    Why is asymmetric layout of the sticks more natural? If the higher position is more natural then surely both should be there? (This is assuming both sticks are in use and most button usage is shoulder buttons).

Never had a problem with stick layout particularly. Stick resistance, fine control, slipping off the top and triggers are my big issues with the DS3. Those appear to be all addressed.

#24 10 months ago
  25. Rikki

I hope it’s better than the Duelshock 3. That thing was horrible. I’ve heard a lot of high praise for it, which is a good sign.

#25 10 months ago
  26. Petulant Radish

@24 I said ‘natural for me’. Also, yes, I like to have access to the face buttons easily, so that stick placement is perfect.

#26 10 months ago
  27. DrDamn

Fair enough.

#27 10 months ago
  28. Christopher Jack

@24, I personally find the lower symmetrical placement more natural. Perhaps because I have rather large hands & the X360 wireless controllers protruding battery pack forced me to hold it awkwardly & my hands become cramped (I dislike wrapping my fingers around handles & prefer to let them rest under the base, particularly in games where the triggers & bumpers only require my index fingers & my middle ones end up smushed between the battery pack & handles).

Just picked up one of my X360 controllers & my PS2 controller to test were my thumbs would instinctively go. On the DS2 (still have my PS2, sold my PS3 & thus have no DS3 for reference but i believe the dimensions are similar) they go straight to the middle of the sticks. On the X360 controller my right thumb goes to the absolute tip of the right stick & my left thumb to the tip of the up button on the D-pad knocking the lower right of the left stick.

#28 10 months ago
  29. machy

I’m so used to DS .. i can’t see myself using another pad, and one of the reason I stick with Sony is DS, I still own DS,Ds1,Ds2,DS3 and soon DS4

#29 10 months ago
  30. ManuOtaku

I am quite happy with the improvements, which were really needed on the dualshock 3, but i thik it will remain as this gen, for FPS i will get them on the xbox one becuas i still believe is bette suit for that than the sony ds4, and for action games the DS4 becuase it is better suit for those, now even more so thansk to the revamp of the awfull triggers

#30 10 months ago