Aliens: Colonial Marines wasn’t intended to exploit, says Pitchford to accusing fans

Tuesday, 2nd July 2013 12:16 GMT By Dave Cook

Aliens: Colonial Marines was not intended to exploit gamers, Gearbox Software founder Randy Pitchford has said. The developer engaged in a Twitter argument with fans on the matter, after he suggested the industry should entertain, rather than exploit.

This is the tweet that started the fracas:

Fans then piled on Pitchford, accusing Gearbox of exploiting fans through Aliens: Colonial Marines blurry development and poor handling of the source material.

In one tweet, Pitchford defending the game’s intentions, and admitted that its failure to entertain is not equal to exploitation:

And then:

And finally:

The stream of tweets goes on and you can follow them here.

What do you make of the criticism aimed at Pitchford? Is this a hypocritical argument, or should we all just chill out a bit? Let us know which below.

Thanks CVG.

1. Crasto

I dunno.
    “Failing to entertain” and “lying through your teeth” seems two pretty different things to me.

#1 10 months ago
  2. Biscuitpants

randy is a cunt

#2 10 months ago
  3. ps3fanboy

the game was rushed, pushed and not a fuck was given about the game play or quality… that in my books are a exploit. to make it even worse

here is a reminder if gearbox have forgotten. the praise and lies in this video is stunning. you could think they was joking when you see the finished product…

#3 10 months ago
  4. Kyle Jackson

I guess it didn’t mean to be shit either, but it is.

#4 10 months ago
  5. absolutezero

Lets take a look at that list of shitty Borderlands 2 DLC.

Exploit.

#5 10 months ago
  6. DSB

He can’t exactly claim to have no responsibility for Aliens Colonial Marines, obviously SEGA left it to rot, and he was happy to let them.

But I think Gearbox has a problem with outsourcing.

Most if not all of the Borderlands DLC is outsourced to smaller studios, which could be an expression of their values, since Gearbox themselves got started by making Half-Life expansions.

#6 10 months ago
  7. SplatteredHouse

He stood up at the demonstration of his disfigured creation, and he was crowing bold as you like while the cameras ran. IF he had delivered, that would be different; but, now, he eats crow instead. All that talk about faithful to the franchise/respect to the source material/cannon. Rubbish.
    @6 I think the latest BL2 DLC is an in-house job.

“You mistake a creator failing to entertain with the creator having wicked intent.”

NO DEFENSE. That just isn’t. It’s not the “wicked intent”, but that is a fantastic straw-man to introduce. Implying there’s some case that everybody’s looking for a villain. When in reality, the majority would have been happy with a worthy, quality game.
    They did not manage the project. Their incompetence or inability led to a disgraceful eventuality, on an otherwise highly anticipated release. UNDER THEIR WATCH and IN THEIR NAME. They knew the interest in that title, and they…Well, if they didn’t exploit that enthusiasm in trotting out this mutton chop, in place of the lamb, then, I don’t know!

The two games were demonstrably different, with the launch version being markedly inferior. That’s called bait and switch.
    They mismanaged the project.
    I don’t know how they haven’t been called to legal consequence – “oh don’t worry, publisher. I’m sure my mate will do it! We’re busy, y’ know with that other thing we do” (which you also funded and for which we were caught “cribbing” other’s art towards)

What is SEGA’s word on all of this? If they were frustrated with the handling of the project, why have they not publicly severed ties with Gearbox – and, what IS going on with Creative Assembly’s Aliens title?? (sleuths, could one of you send an ask about that?)

#7 10 months ago
  8. salarta

Hasn’t Gearbox been part of multiple scandals? I recall that aside from the Aliens: Colonial Marines debacle, Gearbox also has not paid 3D Realms required royalties for Duke Nukem Forever, and of course Borderlands 2 has so much DLC that digitally, all the DLC comes out in total to be triple the cost of the game itself ($89.75 on Steam once the Season Pass is properly cut out of the price since the Season Pass is just several DLC combined).

All this stuff is actually why I’m not bothering with Borderlands 2 even though I played and enjoyed the first game. Originally I was just waiting for the inevitable GOTY edition that includes all the DLC for $60 on a disc, but with the above going on, I’m leaving it alone and sticking with other games.

#8 10 months ago
  9. ArithonUK

I think his claims are nothing more than a PR exercise, aimed at damage limitation.

I pre-ordered A:CM on the basis of the “demo”, an intentional fake – smoke and mirrors, which was shown at the E3. This, in my opinion was done in bad faith, as no newer in-game data was made available (including a genuine demo) prior to release.
    Consequently I was sold a totally different game from the one demonstrated. Poor graphics, AI that was fundamentally broken and frequently jammed the single-player and a multi-player that was, at best, mediocre.

“We didn’t mean it” doesn’t really wash. If it was a “failure” and not “a trick”, then why hide behind the curtain? Previews, video footage and any kind of demo was withheld. They knew it sucked and kept the fact to themselves as long as they could to sucker people.

“Did you like Crystal Skull? Spielberg?” What a cheek! Spielberg didn’t give us trailers for “Warhorse” and then delivery “My Little Pony”!…

#9 10 months ago
  10. bradk825

Crystal Skull wasn’t what I was hoping for but I was entertained for two hours.

While I agree that failing to entertain and exploiting are two different things, let’s consider the fact that they knew what they were making vs what they were advertising. Rushing a poor game to market, especially when it’s a franchise like Alien, that’s bad. You know a tonne of people are going to buy it because it’s Alien, and then take it home and play a game that belongs on original Xbox and PS2.

(side note, Mad Max had better not suck)

For those who are a little younger and maybe haven’t even seen an Alien movie, or know who Sigourney Weaver is (spelling?) imagine if they promised a game for (insert your absolute favourite movie here) and it was done in this quality. You’d feel cheated.

#10 10 months ago
  11. Jogo

Failed to entertain? He suggests a matter of taste.
    But..how did the WiiU version end up being canned? Because they knew it was horrible.

#11 10 months ago
  12. SplatteredHouse

@10 I’d like to see more of Mad Max than just some trailer that looks like it was pulled straight out of MM2. I think, in response to people asking about the game(play), that Avalanche said of the trailer that it was “representative” – but, wait there’s more!

In a comment to IGN: “It’s the first licensed game we’ve ever taken on. And we wanted to treat it like an original IP. The setting – where it is in the world – has really nothing to do with the Mad Max video game. It’s really a game to do with the relationships between different people in this world.”

That statement sounds like all sorts of, really?
    Changing pace here, but I have to wonder how naive Avalanche seriously is? They set out to make a game based on Mad Max – not an original IP – with ALL that entails and means to the audience for whom the license is a key draw… (and, let’s not forget that there have been murmurs and more of a Mad Max game in development, stretching WAY back up to (and maybe beyond) PS2 era…Building interest and anticipation)), And then, this.

#12 10 months ago
  13. bradk825

@12 Hmm. I am getting kind of a “we’re trying to balance hype creation with not disappointing everyone with a shit game” vibe from that. I hope it doesn’t suck, that would be a big let-down. I am hoping for some tearing around in the desert with the beastly car, blowing away weirdos and fighting to survive.

#13 10 months ago
  14. BrahManDude

Randy just shuv one right up in there they know exactly what they did plus the whole marketing was 10x better than the game

#14 10 months ago