Battlefield 4: DICE bringing signature multiplayer elements to campaign

Friday, 28th June 2013 13:19 GMT By Dave Cook

Battlefield 4 developer DICE is looking to address the disparity between the series’ campaign and multiplayer modes, by bringing key elements of online play into the single-player component. The studio has shed light on what this means in a new interview.

Speaking with OPM, DICE’s general manager Karl-Magnus Troedsson, said “There are signature multiplayer elements that we want to bring into single-player. We want to give the player a choice. Do they want to go for the sneaky approach with a sniper rifle and a silenced pistol, or do they want to take a jeep and have the entire squad shoot at everything they see?”

To emulate multiplayer strategies, players will also be able order their AI squad-mates to provide suppressing or covering fire, and you’ll also be faced with wide open terrain littered with vehicles – similar to the Bad Company campaigns.

Does this openness appeal to you? Are you happy to see the studio taking a Bad Company approach to the single-player environments? Let us know below.

Meanwhile, rumour has it Battlefield 4′s second DLC pack ‘Second Assault’ – in which four classic Battlefield maps are remade in Frostbite 3 – will include Caspian Border and Operation Metro. Get the details here.

1. MCTJim

Seems like they borrowed some Ghost Recon elements. Nice addition :D

#1 1 year ago
  2. MidlifeAxe

Or you know, you could just make Bad Company 3.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Dave Cook

@2 + 10000000000000000000

#3 1 year ago
  4. powerbuoy

I like it. But I’d like to see them take the enter/exit vehicle animations from BF3 SP to MP.

#4 1 year ago
  5. MCTJim

I also hope they let us have lobbies again ala BFBC2..paying for private servers is stupid.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Lengendaryboss

@Dave
    Come on, i can do better than that: + Infinity :)

#6 1 year ago
  7. Ercarret

Sounds good to me. Of the three latest BFs (or four, with the XBLA game), I enjoyed Bad Company 2 the most. Both a solid single player campaign and an awesome multiplayer mode. I don’t really know how BF3 was different in MP, but I didn’t have as fun as I did in BC2 despite some big improvements. I was pleased to see the BF4 MP reveal look like they borrow some of the good stuff from BC2, and likewise, this SP news sounds awfully nice.

Now let’s hope that some of the “classic maps” are BC2 maps. :D

#7 1 year ago
  8. ran93r

Does it even need a single player anymore?
    I barely even looked at the BF3 one and by all accounts, I didn’t miss much.

Keep BF multiplayer and just spin off Bad Company as the Single Player title, easy.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Max Payne

I wouldn’t mind SP if levels are big,options for stealth, coop support…
    Or imagine horde mode but on big MP levels with enemy AI using vehicles and destroying your building where you camp.

#9 1 year ago
  10. YoungZer0

@2: Seriously, I can’t be the only one who prefers Bad Company 2 to BF3.

#10 1 year ago
  11. wickedcricket

My Judgement after playing Alpha is that BF4 is a mix of BF2 & BC2 elements, (all the best ones of course) which are really making this game a must buy for me.

#11 1 year ago
  12. Digital Bamboo

Damn, I’m about to fire up Battlefield: Bad Company 2 for the first time. I’m so behind.

Can’t complain though, as the shopkeeper gave it to me for the price of the original (the one I was looking for) which he thought he had, but didn’t.

#12 1 year ago