Shadowrun Returns out in July on PC, tablets with editor tools

Tuesday, 18th June 2013 14:43 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Shadowrun Returns will be released on PC and tablets in July, after originally being slated for a June release.

All the campaign files with the game’s editor will also be released, according to Shack.

“The idea of releasing all the editor files for the Shadowrun Returns campaign was based on my experience working with Trent Reznor on the Alternate Reality Game for his album Year Zero,” Harebrained Scheme’s founder Jordan Weisman said in a press release.

“Trent empowered fans to remix his music any way they wished by releasing the Garage Band tracks with the album. With Shadowrun Returns, we are doing the same thing. Players can start from what we have created and build on it, revise itor use it as a starting point for completely new stories.”

Shadowrun Returns earned over $1.9 million on Kickstarter and through PayPal last year and will be available on Steam for PC, the App Store for iPad, and Google Play for Android tablets on July 25.

You can pre-order through Steam for $17.99.

1. OnionPowder

This is the first game Kickstarter that I backed to come out. Exciting!!

2. YoungZer0

Fuck. I was hoping it would come out this month.

3. Samoan Spider

@2 Me too :(. At least it’s coming though and not long to wait either. Really looking forward to this!

4. YoungZer0

@3: Yeah, I can’t wait. The gameplay looks very promising and I do like the art-direction.

5. Rockin a Jack D

Looks great. Can’t wait for this.

6. TheWulf

I was hoping on this one to come out this month, too. Though I don’t object to the delay as it’ll give them time to polish everything up. What’s so incredibly promising about this though is the powerful modding tools they’re developing to ship with it. We Kickstarter types have already seen them show off some of this in videos and screenshots.

Why I’m excited is because whilst Neverwinter Nights was a below average game, it was also a creation kit for people to go wild in and its creation lead to some of the best fantasy stories told. This… actually pushes more happy buttons in my brain than NWN did. I’ll tell you why, if you’re interested in knowing.

I’ve been drifting away from fantasy of late due to how I feel that fantasy is limiting itself to try to be different from sci-fi. Except that the two aren’t really any different, I could compile a list to show just how similar they are to each other, and why this limitation of either genre is just silly. Both fantasy and sci-fi are flavours of the same literary tools.

Here, actually, have a list. I do have a list.

* Star Trek: The transporters are similar to Teleport (conjuration) spells.

* Star Trek: The replicators are similar to Summon Food (conjuration) spells.

* Star Trek: The holodecks are similar to Hallucinatory Terrain (illusion) spells.

* StarGate: The show’s namesake is similar to Interdimensional Gate (calling) spells.

* StarGate: The energy staffs of the Jafar are similar to magic staves.

* Star Wars: The lightsabers are similar to Flame Blade (evocation) spells.

* Star Wars: The impossibly tall & heavy Walkers are similar to huge constructs (adamantine golems et al).

* Doctor Who: The TARDIS is similar to a traveling wizard’s tower (and Discworld’s traveling shops).

* Doctor Who: The sonic screwdriver is similar to a magic wand.

This was a list I compiled when I got annoyed at the people who were flailing their arms like deranged orangutangs and flinging shit at Mass Effect 3 for its ‘space magic.’ When any observant, intelligent person already knows that everything in sci-fi is space magic.

And don’t even get me started on the magic exoself concept and how that hasn’t been explored at all.

The fact of the matter is though is that fantasy is trying to limit itself in a vain, vague attempt to try and be different from sci-fi. When really fantasy is only different from sci-fi in flavour, and limiting it just makes it boring. Really boring. I’d put Discworld above most fantasy at the moment, to be honest, because at least Pratchett isn’t afraid to acknowledge that fantasy and sci-fi are ultimately the same thing. Just different flavours of tools used in fantastic fiction.

So yes, I have a Showrun boner because, like Discworld, it understands that there’s really not any tangible difference between magic and sci-fi. It also understands that you can do some really cool stuff by combining the two. Separating them just for the sake of separating them is, just in my opinion, is a demonstration of imagination failure.

Why have spaceships or dragons when you can have spaceships AND dragons?

So, for me, this is NWN++. I’m expecting a lot of creativity from the mod community when it comes to developing story modules for this. It’s the Shadowrun Universe, one of the better combinations of sci-fi and fantasy that I’ve seen. So I suspect that this game is going to live long, long beyond the campaign they’ve included with it. Even if that campaign isn’t very good, modders will make something good of it.

So I’m excited. I am very excited. More of this.

7. GwynbleiddiuM

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO…. This is torture, give me Shadowrun now :<

8. TheWulf

Just a little longer. You can wait. >_> Besides, Shadowrun Online will be out soonish, too. So we’ll have double the awesome to enjoy.

And it is awesome. As I said above, we don’t get enough of the whole fantasy/sci-fi mix these days. I miss it. But I can wait just a little longer while they make it good.

9. GwynbleiddiuM

^ Couldn’t agree more :D

10. orakaa

Is it possible to buy it directly from the editor’s website, without DRM or having to go through Steam? (Don’t have Steam installed on my PC and don’t want to install it)

11. GwynbleiddiuM

As far as their pre-order page goes it’s only available on Steam: http://harebrained-schemes.com/shadowrun/shadowrun-returns-pre-order/

But Steam is a good thing give it a try, you won’t hate it trust me.

12. TheWulf

Yeah. I think that after the obtuse DRM schemes out there, and the horrible programs like Origin, I can empathise with how people feel. Steam can be hated vicariously after other bad experiences. Yet Steam, in and of itself, isn’t a bad thing. And Valve have gone out of their way to make it better.

As an example: People expressed security concerns, and they switched their embedded HTML engine from IE to WebKit purely because of that. Valve actually do care, and they’ve been doing much to push the PC as a gaming platform. Plus, it gives indies a lot of visibility. There have been tales of how indies have made more in a week on Steam than they have in two years on the XBox Live Arcade. This isn’t anything against the console itself, but rather how Microsoft do business versus how Valve do. Valve is still a business, yes, but they’re much, MUCH more benign.

Then you have the Greenlight system, which is a truly democratic system to decide which games get on Steam. If you actually take the time to vote, your voice as to which games you want to see ending up there will have an effect. That’s pretty damned great, if you ask me.

Then you have the Steam sales, where you can pick up games for the equivalent of pocket money, annnnd Steam has a frickin’ offline mode, something that not even the XBox One has.

I don’t mean to sound like a Valve spokesperson, but I just feel that they’ve really done a lot of good for the PC.

All I can say is try it before you hate it.

If you still hate it then? That’s fine. You won’t hear any arguments from me, but again, I can understand how one can be turned off of the idea of Steam by lesser services, which can, by proxy, make Steam look like a very bad prospect indeed.

13. orakaa

Thanks TheWulf. If given the choice, I’d prefer total control over the stuff I buy. Which is why Steam, on the principle, turns me off a bit.

As I really want to play Shadowrun I may very well give it a try.

14. fearmonkey

I’m looking forward to this :)

15. OwningXylophone

No, due to the Shadowrun licensing agreement with MS you can only get the DRM free version if you were a Kickstarter backer. Backers will get the first DLC pack for the DRM free version, but after that all DLC will be released on Steam only. I’m 99% sure that the mod tools still work with the DRM free version though, I can’t really be arsed to find my email from Harebrained that explained it all.