The Wolf Among Us screenshots show Bigby trying to keep the peace

Wednesday, 8th May 2013 15:56 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Telltale has sent over a batch of screenshots for The Wolf Among Us, its prequel to Fables series starring Bigby Wolf.

Once known as “The Big Bad Wolf,” Bigby is now the sheriff of a hidden community in New York City, after being “exiled from the land of fairy tales.”

Bigby has been given the assignment of keeping the peace in a society of mythical creatures and characters by the town’s bureaucrat, Snow White.

According to Telltale, the town Bigby must keep in line features everything from “a chain-smoking member of The Three Little Pigs,to a car-stealing Mr. Toad itching for his next wild ride.”

The intrepid sheriff must keep things calm in order to keep the town and its inhabitants a secret from the world of humans.

You can read up more on the game through a previous post here.

More details on the series will be released “in the coming weeks,” and the game will be shown at E3 prior to its season premiere.

1. Badumtsss

Bigby, for the love of God, not Bigsby. Second news, second mistake.

2. YoungZer0

Wow, those screenshots actually look very good. Hopefully it’s more like The Walking Dead and less like Jurassic Park.

3. Moonwalker1982

I was expecting a graphics style like TWD, but this looks a lot like a comic, really cool.

4. Gheritt White

IT’S NOT BIGSBY FFS, IT’S BIGBY (AS IN BIG BAD WOLF!!)

NERD RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE.

5. OnionPowder

LOL I’m glad I’m not the only one annoyed by Bigsby. What’s funny is you use both Bigby and Bigsby in the story.

Either way this is looking fucking awesome! I need more adventure games and I’m currently reading Fables and it’s so good.

6. DSB

You’ve ruined the ENTIRE internet for everyone Steph. I sure hope you’re happy.

7. TheWulf

Am I the only one who feels bad for Steph when this happens? Aside from the intentionally ironic comments, of course, there’s always someone who’s serious about this. This isn’t a published journal — they’re humans, and they make mistakes. When pointing out mistakes it couldn’t hurt to show a little tact.

Anyway, I’m blown away by that art style. It’s like they took the Walking Dead and dialled it up to 11. I was worried they were going to fall back on the Monkey Island/Sam & Max style for this, but that worry has been abated and my expectations have literally been blown away. Telltale is just going from strength to strength. Looking at those screenies I can hardly believe that it’s a game. Aesthetically their stuff is astounding.

Damned good stuff.

—Edit—

I really can’t get over how good this looks. We’re in ‘way better than Borderlands’ territory, here. Good grief. Can we have more games that look like this?

8. Moonwalker1982

You guys at least do this in a jokingly way, but there are fans of certain franchises who would really get this mad and worked up over this, lol.

9. TheWulf

@9: Which is silly. To typo is human.

10. Moonwalker1982

Yep, definitely.

11. TheWulf

I have to honestly say, here… between this and The Walking Dead, I’m on the verge of thinking that Valve has a real challenger in the field of facial expression technology. My money’s always been on Valve and no one else has ever come close. Crysis? Unreal? Unity? Nothing else has ever come close, other engines have always had fierce uncanny valley syndrome in ways that Source somehow managed to avoid. Thanks to that, characters just don’t really look all that great, even in games released today.

Half-Life 2 was something of a singularity in that respect, it had genuinely believable facial expressions and animations. I’d not seen anything before or since that has bettered them, except for their own works (like Team Fortress 2 and Portal 2). Source is why the characters of Vampire: The Masquerade — Bloodlines were so believable, due to just how good the Source engine is at making something that looks ‘just right’ for believable expressions. Everything else just makes my skin crawl.

With The Walking Dead, though, Telltale came damned close to that crown. If they keep going this way, I might have trouble saying who has the better facial technology, since The Walking Dead was very, very impressive. And the facial expressions in those shots are, too.

I can’t help but gush over Telltale’s aesthetics, really. They do it right, and they clearly know what to invest in. High resolution textures and high poly models don’t mean shit if your characters aren’t believable.

12. OnionPowder

@8 Oh I definitely feel bad when typos come up, so bad so that I don’t even feel like telling them because I feel like a jerk. Also I totally agree with you, this game is freaking gorgeous! This game is one of my most anticipated games this summer. Gonna be great to have a game I can relax on the couch and just chill and play.

13. Stephany Nunneley

OFFS! Calm down with the NERRRRRRRDDDDDD RAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGE I will fix it damn it.

@7 No shit. I should have just left it.