Leaving Ubisoft “was not my decision,” says Désilets

Tuesday, 7th May 2013 18:40 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Ubisoft has announced the departure of Patrice Désilets once again, after rumors of his leaving and the cancellation of his projects surfaced earlier. Since the confirmation by Ubisoft, Désilets has since said he was fired from the company.

According to a statement given to Game Informer:

“The acquisition of THQ Montréal in January allowed Ubisoft to welcome 170 experienced developers, including Patrice Désilets, to our existing and renowned workforce,” a representative for the firm stated.

“Unfortunately, since the acquisition, the good faith discussions between Patrice and Ubisoft aimed at aligning Patrice’s and the studio’s visions have been inconclusive. As a result, Patrice has left the studio.

“Our priorities remain with the teams already hard at work on projects in development. They are at the root of Ubisoft Montréal’s past and future successes.”

Back in March, Ubisoft confirmed Désilets had returned to the company, stating it was “very pleased to welcome ” him to Ubisoft again and anticipated “this renewed partnership will produce new ideas and high-quality titles for Ubisoft’s customers.”

Game Informer said Ubisoft declined to state provide a status update on Désilets’ projects 1666 and Project Underdog.

However, Désilets has since told Polygon he was fired by Ubisoft.

“Contrary to any statements made earlier today, this morning I was terminated by Ubisoft,” he said. “I was notified of this termination in person, handed a termination notice and was unceremoniously escorted out of the building by two guards without being able to say goodbye to my team or collect my personal belongings.

“This was not my decision. Ubisoft’s actions are baseless and without merit. I intend to fight Ubisoft vigorously for my rights, for my team and for my game. ”

Back in January when Ubisoft purchased THQ Montreal, Ubisoft Montreal president Yannis Mallat told the Financial Post that the firm was “very happy to look forward to working with [Désilets] again.”

During the THQ auction, Ubisoft purchased THQ Montreal along with the two projects led by Désilets – 1666 and Project Underdog.

Désilets was creative director at Ubisoft Montreal before he left in 2010.

1. DSB

This.

2. Shinji10TH

Well, if i was him, i would certainly do the same thing after what Ubi did to the Assassin’s Creed franchise, and i hope that it will never happen to Splinter Cell, or else Jade will follow.

3. tezzer1985

I saw this coming, he left Ubi because of creative differences, nothing would have changed at Ubi.

I feel like if Ubi can’t make a game into a franchise, then it’s not going to invest in it

4. Erthazus

lol

5. Edo

“It’s gonna be better this time,it’s gonna be better this time”…enters Ubisoft building…”NOPE!”

6. Lengendaryboss

Should have linked vaas doing it :D
    Anyway i guess he doesn’t want to stay on the ubisoft milking of assassin’s creed ship.

7. Beta

Saw this coming, he can’t have been happy when Ubi picked up THQ Montreal.

8. Megatron

Nice, he seems to be a smart guy who don’t wanna work for Ubitard.

9. SplatteredHouse

How’d he pull it off this time?
    An industrial vat of butter delivered to the studio building!
    abesimpson.gif

10. Stephany Nunneley

Post updated. He says he was fired.

11. YoungZer0

Lulz. Saw this one coming.

12. tezzer1985

So Ubi…just fuck’d him over, so I guess they have the last laugh…fired him, and they will own his game and IP

13. CaptPierce

Oh dammit, Ubisoft was the last hope for major videogame publishers. :( Well, now we have THREE douchebag publishing giants to deal with.

14. Belmont

Strange,Ubisoft is taking revenge? However the guy was very unlucky,moving to THQ and then THQ falls, no publisher other than Ubisoft buys the studio he is in and now…
    But this whole thing of being escorted outside the studio is a bit like National security issues! Also reminds of IW back in time when Zampella and West were fired after launch of MW2.

15. Johnny Cullen

He didn’t deserve this. Not after what THQ Montreal has been (or was) put through these past few months.

16. Beta

Escorted out by guards.. Seems like Ubisoft is still bitter about him leaving for THQ.

Regardless though, this is a very petty way to fire someone. Not impressed with Ubi in the slightest.

17. Stephany Nunneley

It is normal for companies to escort employees out of the building when fired, laid-off, or the last day after giving notice, etc. They do this to prevent them taking things which do not belong to them or having a fit. There is usually nothing nefarious about it – just standard procedure.

18. Mjorh

He is a smart guy n didn’t desreve this , jus can wish him luck !

@ 17 , i see…, but at least they should’ve allowed him 2 say goodbye ! Have some decency ubitard!

19. theevilaires

He should go work for SONY. They’re the only publisher that gives devs the freedom they want and deserve. Or go to Microsoft and watch your career collect dust designing new enemies for Halo. Good luck to him.

20. roadkill

Fired eh? Well guess what I’m going to do with all your games from now on Ubi!? :)

21. Cobra951

@16: More likely, it’s about minimizing the chance he will leave with any code or other IP. If he’s smart (as he seems to be) he should already have most of that in his possession anyway. The lawyers will have lots of work ahead of them, I’m sure.

Edit: Oh, but I missed Steph’s post (#17). Sorry.

22. Beta

Apologies, I was referring to the tone of the firing (Escorting him out without letting him say goodbye or take his things) as petty rather than the guards presence. Should have made it clearer lol.

23. salarta

As much as I have enjoyed and defended Assassin’s Creed games, this situation has me strongly of the mind to just swear off Ubisoft’s products just as I have done for Squeenix. The Assassin’s Creed series was really the only one from them I bothered with, and frankly, I care more about companies treating people with due respect than about that series.