DualShock 4′s LED indicates health in Killzone: Shadow Fall

Saturday, 4th May 2013 18:43 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Sony Worldwide boss Shuhei Yoshida has explained one of the ways the light-bar on DualShock 4 will work by using the Killzone: Shadow Fall demonstration show during the PS4 event as an example.

Speaking with Edge, Yoshida reiterated that the light-bar would help players identify their controller, over say a co-op partner’s, by the color of the LED light.

He also said the light-bare doesn’t “require the camera to function.” However, with games such as Killzone: Shadow Fall, the light-bar could take on a “dual or triple” role.

“Game designers could use it for some effect,” said Yoshida. “Like when [players are] losing HP, the color could change from green to red. Like in the Killzone demo, if you were watching Steven playing, [that game] has that function already.

“People were watching the main screen, but Steven was facing the audience, showing how the light bar color changes as he was hit by the enemy; as he lost hit points the color was changing from green to red. And when he used the health replenishment, it went back to green.”

Yoshida said the idea for the LED bar came from Richared Marks’ ream, which helped develop PS Move.

PS4 and its DualShock 4 controller is expected this holiday season.

1. Shuklar

Good, because the hell if I’m going to be using it for motion gaming.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Erthazus

Lame.
    when i shoot something I won’t look at that LED because I will be in the middle of the action and the best “Health bar” thing is always on screen.

LEd Light is another SiXaXis… 2 devs at best will use it and it won’t do anything for the gameplay.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Lengendaryboss

@Erthazus
    You have a point, but i think this functionality is for other players to look at according to the article.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Christopher Jack

Who’s going to stare at their controller in any intense game?

#4 1 year ago
  5. Clupula

As someone with a Move, I can tell you that the light itself will probably be bright enough that you’ll always have an idea of what your health is like without ever having to look at your controller.

Of course, they could just do it the old fashioned way and have you, you know, look at your screen.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Erthazus

+ it’s a thing that is costly for battery life.

#6 1 year ago
  7. zinc

Sounds like a fun little touch. Hope that sense of fun is included in the gameplay :)

#7 1 year ago
  8. Dragon246

1. LEDs don’t cost much battery.
    2. Generally its useless, but I assume we can see some usage of it, like maybe a HUDless shooter?

#8 1 year ago
  9. SlayerGT

Most devs will use to show ambient light. Like the back of current TVs.

#9 1 year ago
  10. G1GAHURTZ

Maybe you could use it to find your Doritos if you’re playing in the dark…

#10 1 year ago
  11. polygem

@10: :)

#11 1 year ago
  12. Lengendaryboss

Ha LOL :D

#12 1 year ago
  13. Mjorh

LOL! how creative they are ! this is one the lamest things i’ve ever seen !
    who is stupid enough 2 watch his controller during action or whatever gameplay ?!

#13 1 year ago
  14. Lengendaryboss

Its Intended for Co-Op by the looks of it.

#14 1 year ago
  15. Clupula

Battery life? Since when did Playstation controllers use batteries? Are you sure you’ve actually played one before?

I seriously doubt they’re going to leave the “rechargeable with a USB cable” controller type for a “uses AA batteries” type. That’d be backwards.

#15 1 year ago
  16. fihar

Rechargeable battery is still a battery.
    LEDs don’t exactly consume a lot of power so this won’t be an issue at all.

This is actually very clever though, I can see this being used in horror games, with the LED changing colors or flashing on and off when you’re close to something.
    Coupled with a beep, an Alien-esque motion sensor thing might be a possibility.

#16 1 year ago
  17. Christopher Jack

@13, You just insulted every single Wii U owner :P

#17 1 year ago
  18. Erthazus

Yeah… WiiU screen and this LED thingy is just so meh.

#18 1 year ago
  19. DrDamn

Not sure why this gets a news article now, they discussed this ages ago. The much more interesting and practical elements to this feature are controller and player identification. I.e. that’s the controller I should be using and the game automatically assigning you the correct side of the screen in split screen gaming. Seem like small things but as someone who plays a lot of party games / couch mp / split screen gaming its really useful. With 1080p and more memory and power I’d like to see a bit of resurgence of this type of gaming.

#19 1 year ago
  20. Mjorh

@13 LOL! yeah …kinda yeah …!D!accept my apology all Wii U fans …i meant the health bar thing which u gotta look at the LED stuff.

@14 THX.

#20 1 year ago
  21. Djoenz

HUDless shooter hmmm…At first I was like this LED light is pointless as fuck. I tend to play online for co op and mp. I despise splitscreen. I have DualPlay though. 2 glasses playing co op splitscreen but you see your own screen, but its hectic cause I made the glasses myself from regular 3d passive glasses. I should buy the original if they are purchable that is..

I dont know man I kinda like the numbers on the DS3. Its simple this is just annoying.

But in the dark it could be interesting and HUDless would make things interesting but also annoying? I dont know man lol.

#21 1 year ago
  22. xxJPRACERxx

I play pretty close to my TV with all the light turned off. When the screen is dark I can see the reflection of the red-LED on the DS3 on the TV. I don’t want this useless shit on my PS4.

#22 1 year ago
  23. BrahManDude

that’s a neat feature pretty cool

#23 1 year ago
  24. Rosseu

What’s the point, are they going to trade the blurring / bloody screen for this? How about no?

#24 1 year ago
  25. ps3fanboy

don’t worry, they will sell you black tape as $10 accessories for the controller at gamestop.

#25 1 year ago
  26. noherczeg

Why isn’t “Bloody screen, so real!!!” good enough now?

#26 1 year ago
  27. Dragon246

@Djoenz,
    Yeah, not very pumped about fancy lighting myself.
    Although surely hope to see a HUDless shooter. I will definitely add a new dimension of realism. It will also change player actions and make them more conscious.

#27 1 year ago