Project Zwei revealed as The Evil Within, out 2014

Friday, 19th April 2013 13:12 GMT By Staff

Bethesda has announced Shinji Mikami’s survival-horror title, The Evil Within. IGN has unveiled a live-action teaser trailer, which can be found right through the break.

Bethesda today announced The Evil Within, a survival-horror title from Tango Gameworks led by Resident Evil creator, Shinji Mikami.

A live-action teaser trailer was first unveiled on IGN, showing all manner of twisted and misshapen nightmares.

In a statement sent to VG247, Bethesda revealed that The Evil Within is in development for PS3, Xbox 360, PC and next generation consoles and is expected some time in 2014.

Said Mikami, “We’re incredibly proud to announce The Evil Within. My team and I are committed to creating an exciting new franchise, providing fans the perfect blend of horror and action.”

Bethesda Japan has gone live story details and a list of key features. The game is called Psychobreak in Japan (via Gematsu), and was made using the id Tech 5 engine.

Story: When Detective Sebastian and his partner rush to the scene of a gruesome mass murder, a mysterious, powerful force is lying in wait for them. Witnessing the killing of fellow police officers one after another, Sebastian is then attacked and loses consciousness. Waking up in a land where monsters are wandering about, Sebastian has to fight his way through a world of death and its close friend madness in order to understand what’s going on. Sebastian has to face his fears in order to survive on a journey to discover what lies in the shadows of that mysterious force.

Key Features

• A Return to Pure Survival Horror: From the father of the survival horror genre, Shinji Mikami. He appears once again as the director of this game, one which makes your blood run cold, but heats you right back up. Players must survive on limited resources, experiencing that supreme match of action and horror, that indescribable terror. To survive in an afflicted world, your anxiety and nerves will be pushed to the edge.
  • Brutal Traps and Enemies with Puzzles: While struggling to survive, you’ll have to face indescribable terror, cruel traps, and sly mechanisms. Players can die in a trap all too easily, however, at times they can turn them against enemies.
  • In an Unstable World, Not All Horrors are in Plain Sight: The player is driven into a corner as the world distorts and warps according to mysterious and evil horrors. The scenery: hallways, walls, doors, rooms, buildings, and even nature, all transforming in real time based on the player’s actions. And the threats keep coming from all directions.
  • A Supernova of Horror: By setting one foot in this world weaved from lush backdrops, characters with personality, and a polished story, players will be sucked in, willing or unwilling, tension and anxiety rapidly mounting. When that fear is smashed and conquered, you can experience the bliss that can only be found in The Evil Within.

Bethesda has added a game logo for The Evil Within, though there’s no indication in what capacity it might be used. It’d make a lovely piece of box art.

There’s also a host of screens available via All Games Beta.

1. CyberMarco

Man, this is sick…

#1 1 year ago
  2. Elaniel

Okay, we have a live action trailer of a video game. Still no better off with how the game plays/looks by this. I’d like to actually see some grame in my game trailers!

#2 1 year ago
  3. KineticCalvaria

I feel sick…

#3 1 year ago
  4. loveaya

Need more details, even if it’s a Mikami Shinji’s game, i can’t definitely tell it’ll be as good as Resident Evil series especially RE4.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Darth-Bader

Evil Within? Evil that “resides” within? Resident Evil?

Looks far scarier than any Resident Evil game of late though – even if it is a live action trailer.

#5 1 year ago
  6. OmegaSlayer

Sunday…Monday…Happy Days…

#6 1 year ago
  7. Erthazus

This is sick and looks GREAT.

#7 1 year ago
  8. YoungZer0

Not as awesome as the opening credits to American Horror Story, but it definitely gets the Job done.

The trailer didn’t tell us much though, which is always something I dislike about live action trailer.

What’s the gameplay gonna look like, what’s the plot, etc.

#8 1 year ago
  9. SeWICX

HOLY MOTHER OF FUCK! THIS LOOKS SICK :D

I can’t wait to see more!

#9 1 year ago
  10. Mjorh

perfect blend of horror and action.” My Ass !

i’m sick of this ‘action’ word , combining with ‘horror’!

#10 1 year ago
  11. OmegaSlayer

it’s so lame to show a live-action trailer for a game.

#11 1 year ago
  12. Max Payne

@10 I really hope he meant that there will be some kind of action just like it was in RE before 4.
    Because today’s horror games like Amnesia or Slender man doesn’t have any action.

#12 1 year ago
  13. SameeR_Fisher

I REALLY hoped it would be a Gameplay trailer, but I think that is for E3.

I am pretty excited either ways, seems I MUST get Next Gen –PS4 for me– to play these titles, cause most of the time the older system get the inferior version.

#13 1 year ago
  14. GwynbleiddiuM

WTB youtube feed.

#14 1 year ago
  15. SeWICX

#10

Totally agree with you, every time they say perfect blend. It ends up being to much action based..

I want a freaking scary game

#15 1 year ago
  16. Abolfazl3007

Hell F***ing Yeah Bitches !!

#16 1 year ago
  17. Samoan Spider

Reminds me of horrific flashing scenes towards the end of Event Horizon crossed with to style of Condemned. Looks like a tasty bit of horror anyhow, but I’m also concerned by the blend as #10 says.

#17 1 year ago
  18. Edo

2014?Well that sucks.

#18 1 year ago
  19. Greek God

after the mess that Deadspace 3 was i cant wait for this!

#19 1 year ago
  20. Mjorh

@12 Yeah , but as SeWICX said whenever thay say perfect blend of action n horror it ends up action rather than horror !
    2014 seems to be a good gaming year

#20 1 year ago
  21. The_Red

2014 and PS3/360? Why not PS4/X3?

EDIT: Just saw the next-gen part. Hurray :)

#21 1 year ago
  22. Maikrobi

Trailer on YouTube – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EaxwKn9xNs … cant wait

#22 1 year ago
  23. Old MacDonald

Urk, I think I’ll skip. I’m growing less and less fond of blood and gore as I get older. That trailer was a bit too much for me.

#23 1 year ago
  24. Maxey

@21 it’s also coming for next-gen consoles.

OT: Man, why more action horror? I’m sure this might put the new REs in their place and be a great game but why can’t more people innovate in this area?

How cool would it be to have a horror stealth game, like Splinter Cell in an horror setting, but with a normal person instead of a trained operative?

#24 1 year ago
  25. SeWICX

#23, That sucks for you man :(

#25 1 year ago
  26. Ajsman

It is a shame this will probably be just another action game and not a real horror. Coz knowing Bethesda and games they make or publish, target audience will be everyone. And horror games are just not popular with casual gamers.

So instead of horror game, we are probably looking at another Dead Space or Alan Wake. Average action shooter or something similar.

#26 1 year ago
  27. CyberMarco

What’s the song in the intro?

#27 1 year ago
  28. Mjorh

if COD franchise hadn’t beat the records of selling n stuff , we wouldn’t see the ‘action’ word this much !D!
    Screw Casual Gamers !

#28 1 year ago
  29. KAP

A new franchise Mikami states? Sigh…

The Evil Within. = All out survival horror.

The Evil Within 2. = more action orientated.

The Evil Within 3. = All out action, includes cover mechanics and co-op.

The Evil Within Origins = PS VITA version.

Enough said.

#29 1 year ago
  30. OnionPowder

Definitely looks like a next-gen Resident Evil 4.

#30 1 year ago
  31. Maikrobi

The song is – air on a g-string by Johann Sebastian Bach. I like the Dominic Miller version http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b15hHQ6Mk_M

#31 1 year ago
  32. The_Red

Is it just me or is that one terrible name? I mean, what’s up with Mikami? First “Shadows of the Damned” and now this? Resident Evil was campy but cool. This is simply boring and lame (The name part).

Outside the name, pretty much everything about this game looks awesome. Can’t wait.

#32 1 year ago
  33. Moonwalker1982

On AGB you can find all the screenshots. It sure looks like a real horror game, but i don’t think the game will be for me. At times Alan Wake was almost too much for me, i wasn’t at ease or actually relaxed at all while playing through Silent Hill Downpour and the same can be said about Dead Space. If anything, i’ll be playing this one with someone, not on my own.

#33 1 year ago
  34. OnionPowder

@31 That song was referenced in the first Vine video.

#34 1 year ago
  35. CyberMarco

Screenshots

#35 1 year ago
  36. Mjorh

its an awesome live-action trailer , but u can’t get anything outta this stuff, we need a trailer of gameplay or game sth !

@35 THX , they sound promising ! hostiles look familiar ….kinda looklike The Last Of Us !

#36 1 year ago
  37. powerbuoy

@32 +1

#37 1 year ago
  38. YoungZer0

@35: Not what I expected, but it still looks good, especially with that lighting.

#38 1 year ago
  39. Max Payne

@35 Those are really cool
    On one screen player is crouching maybe some kind of stealth mode will be in game ?

#39 1 year ago
  40. Mjorh

@39 yeah , that’d be great !

#40 1 year ago
  41. YoungZer0

@39: Let’s hope so. That could’ve a lot of potential. Not being able to fight someone, or trying to avoid a confrontation you can’t survive usually always ramps up the tension.

btw. Just stumbled upon this indie project:

#41 1 year ago
  42. CyberMarco

I am sure that next gen games will be more brutal/gruesome as the graphics advance. Maybe it’ll be too much…

#42 1 year ago
  43. YoungZer0

@42: Heard this one before, right before the Playstation came out, I think.

#43 1 year ago
  44. sh4dow

@33: I second that. I often played Alan Wake with the sound off. I found Resident Evil 4 to be about as much as I can take when it comes to horror in games. A shame that most games are either more frightening or more about action.

#44 1 year ago
  45. KrazyKraut

Maybe its the “inSane” game we never got…^^

Cant wait to see more. Hope is sick and frightening.

#45 1 year ago
  46. NeoSquall

looks like the stuff nightmares are made of…

#46 1 year ago
  47. CyberMarco

@43 Maybe I didn’t express myself correctly. I mean with the graphics technology advancing, we’ll get more “real-life” experiences from visuals.

e.g. God Of War, seeing the facial expressions and emotions of the characters being slaughtered, limbs and blood flying around sure make a greater impact to the immersion of the game.

#47 1 year ago
  48. Mjorh

when sales are down , these …these civilized producers , they’ll eat gamers ! They’re only as good as the gamers allows them to be.

#48 1 year ago
  49. Mike W

The “Godfather of horror games” has returned. I’m crazy excited I can’t wait to see this game in action.

#49 1 year ago
  50. Stephany Nunneley

Story and feature details are in there now.

#50 1 year ago
  51. The_Red

Why so serious?

Thanks for the update. Doesn’t give much info but super HYPED! Can’t wait for some pure gameplay vids.

#51 1 year ago
  52. Clupula

@50 – If you’re able to (I’m not sure how this works), you should probably put up some of the screenshots too.

#52 1 year ago
  53. Clupula

This looks amazing, btw, from the screenshots. And if that live-action video is what the tone is going to be like, I’m going to love this. We’ve had a serious dearth of games designed to scare the ever loving shit out of people.

#53 1 year ago
  54. Djoenz

Disturbing indeed damnzzzz.

#54 1 year ago
  55. Stephany Nunneley

@52 There’s already a link to them in the post. We’ll put them up on the site once they are released to the masses without an IGN watermark.

#55 1 year ago
  56. The_Red

Imagine that. A horror game that actually tried to be disturbing rather than being another cover based, co-op shooter with superficial horror elements.

Of course I’m not saying all horror games should be disturbing but this seems like the perfect game that could both scare and make the player uncomfortable.

#56 1 year ago
  57. Mjorh

@51 +1!

wow look at the features !

Awesome !

i just want 2 be scared no matter what ! lets be uncomfortable if that what it takes !

#57 1 year ago
  58. CPC_RedDawn

Can’t contain my excitement!!!

This looks epic! Hopefully we get a release date soon, as judging by the current screens it doesn’t look next-gen but it still looks great. With Bethesda publishing, a PC version is bound to happen if its not already!

#58 1 year ago
  59. CPC_RedDawn

Come to think of it, it kind of reminds me of Jericho a little. But I have no doubts this will be better than that pile of poop. Great design and atmosphere but poor gameplay destroyed that game.

#59 1 year ago
  60. Djoenz

I think I know exactly what you mean. Im a horrorfreak when it comes to movies (hack and slash gore etc. is just thriller in my eyes lol)and I have played my share of scary games like Siren,Silent Hill,Older Resident Evils etc. but this trailer man is really disturbing lmao.

2014 is a long way but this could be it THE horror game Ive been longing for. I hope emphasis is on survival man I really hope they dont fuck this up.

First Dead Space was intense. I played that sucka at night alone with my turtlebeach headset. It was crazy at times but not disturbing like this trailer.

Haha lets hope for the best hehe.

#60 1 year ago
  61. Mjorh

whats ur impression of the image? a locked up brain n a house under it …Weird !

#61 1 year ago
  62. The_Red

Oh, Siren. That and original Fatal Frame games were really disturbing. Glad to see a fellow horror lover (I’m a Nightmare on Elm Street fanboy :).

This really could be that game. Imagine if they market it properly and release the game at the right time. If one actually horror game DOES become successful, we could see others like Dead Space return to their roots (The awesome intensity of the first game as you mentioned) instead of going the Gears of War or RE6 route.

At first I thought the brain was leaking. Then it reminded me of the “Cabin in the Woods” poster. Speaking of which, that would make an AWESOME video game whether its about playing as the victims or the moderators.

#62 1 year ago
  63. Djoenz

Well judging by the story tease there might be 2 scenarios imo:
    1. He litterally ends up in Hell.
    2. He suffered trauma somehow and ends up in a coma and its all in his own mind. If he dies in that demon realm he really dies or never comes out of his coma.

Sebastian is then attacked and loses consciousness. :P speculating hehe.
    His own brain with barbed wire might mean the longer he is in that demon realm the more brain cells gets damaged. The house could be reality or something else entirely hehe.

EDIT:
    Oh shit man I just realised my theory kinda makes sense with the title of the game pffff lmao

#63 1 year ago
  64. deathm00n

The last AAA game I’ve played wich give me real fear was F.E.A.R. Let’s hope this is sucessful and get more people to launch this kind of game.

#64 1 year ago
  65. Espers

too creepy for me

#65 1 year ago
  66. Max Payne

@63 Or he is killing actual people but in his mind he is killing daemons ?

#66 1 year ago
  67. YoungZer0

The key features sound a little bit too good to be true, especially the part with characters having personality sounds very unlikely.

I’ll remain sceptical.

#67 1 year ago
  68. osric90

Cool it’s coming for PC. I hope Steam and I hope it’s not a port but a solid developed title not held back by console’s limitations. Anyway, might get it for the PS3 too as I love the way it feels sometimes, LOL. GO MIKAMI!

#68 1 year ago