Shadowrun Returns hits Steam in June, pre-orders open April 29

Wednesday, 10th April 2013 10:52 GMT By Dave Cook

Shadowrun Returns developer Harebrained Schemes has announced that its Kickstarter-funded RPG will launch on Steam in June.

Eurogamer reports that pre-orders will begin April 29 for the Steam release, which will include Steam Workshop support for the in-game editor. You can buy a DRM-free edition via the Harebrained Schemes website, but it doesn’t have editor support.

The Linux build will release sometime after launch, and both the iOS and Android versions will not have access to the editor at release, but may be added later.

You can check out 19 minutes of raw Shadowrun Returns gameplay footage with commentary here.

1. GwynbleiddiuM

OH HELL YEEEEEEAAAAAAH!

#1 1 year ago
  2. Dave Cook

@1 :)

#2 1 year ago
  3. Gheritt White

Proud backer right here!

#3 1 year ago
  4. Old MacDonald

I’m concerned about the fact that the second city, which was added as a stretch goal, is now DLC instead of a part of the game.

I know I’ll get it as a backer, but I don’t like it. Unless they specifically say “this will be DLC” when talking about stretch goals, then I think it borders on false advertising if their plan is to make them DLC instead of part of the actual game that people can buy.

(which is after all the point of Kickstarter, it’s not about pre-ordering but about funding interesting projects).

#4 1 year ago
  5. silkvg247

Cool, loved the original. I’m a backer with some shinies en route..

#5 1 year ago
  6. TheWulf

Hooray!

I’ve loved watching this one coming along. This hits closer to home in regards to what I want out of an RPG. As I’ve said, I’m a creature of novelty, and this is a fairly damned novel setting.

What I’m really tired of? Sterility. Fantasy is castles, and dragons, and chainmail bikinis and NOTHING ELSE. Sci-Fi is starships, and wars, and space-guns and NOTHING ELSE. And what’s worse is that you have some writers trying to make the situation worse by doing the least imaginative thing possible – tweaking earth’s history.

I’m a person of the ’70s, literally. Back when fantasy literature was good, because there was no “fantasy” literature. It was all sci-fi. Thus the lines blurred between what was fantasy and what was sci-fi. There was very little of the sterility we see today. Characters knew how to laugh, writers knew how to have fun with it and how to not take themselves so maddeningly seriously (almost as if they were crafting the next Mona Lisa in word form).

Shadowrun is a distinctly ’70s/’80-ish thing. It’s something that couldn’t exist in the mainstream, today. So I am so, so glad that Kickstarter exists, and I’m proud to have helped fund this one. And I am very, very much looking forward to it and its eschewing of sterilised, over-troped fantasy/sci-fi settings.

#6 1 year ago