Thief on PC won’t be “a copy of the console version”

Tuesday, 9th April 2013 20:50 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Eidos Montreal’s Stephane Roy has said the PC version of Thief is “extremely important,” and it won’t just be a port of the console version. Speaking with Strategy Informer, Roy said playing Thief with a keyboard and mouse “is different,” than playing with a controller, so it must develop the proper support. “Making the PC version we think like a PC gamer, for consoles it’s a different type of beast,” he said. “It’s one of our goals to make sure that the PC version isn’t just a copy of the console version.” Thief is out next year on next-gen consoles and PC.

1. ps3fanboy

we will see about that when the square enix budget get tight…

2. Erthazus

We will see about that.

3. OnionPowder

See we will that about

4. NeoSquall

I’ll be happy even if they outsource the PC client’s development to Nixxes Software, since they’ve done a fine job with Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

5. loki

copy it is the equivalent. Thief on PC be a typical fail PC port
    thx for another stupid news about PC

6. YoungZer0

@4: Except they didn’t. They should get the guys who ported DmC on PC. Fluid as fuck and enjoyable to play even with mouse and keyboard.

HR could’ve run much more fluid and the DX11 implementation is a Joke. It does nothing.

They also did Hitman Absolution and that game didn’t run as smoothly as it could either, especially if you entered into a new area. It also had a 10 GB patch.

7. _LarZen_

Keyboard and mouse…..spare me. I don’t care about that at all. I am going to play this game on a high-end PC with a controller in my hands.

What I want is support for the advanced gfx cards we have on PC.

8. Max Payne

Considering its next gen only , and they are developing it for ”before unreal 4 was released” you would think they started as PC version first ?

9. Richenbaum

high-end pc and you’re playing first person games on a controller? blasphemy!

10. viralshag

Exactly like #7. No pad support, no PC version for me. I’m more than happy not to support the platform that doesn’t support my preferred choice of input.

11. YoungZer0

Okay, what is it with people wanting to play First Person games with controller? That’s like deciding to cut one off your arms just for shit and giggles.

12. silverstorm

@11 +1

13. _LarZen_

#11

Oh I dunno…just a few million people around the world..

Just because you cant master a controller don’t mean others cant ;)

But for me it’s mainly a comfort issue, the days hovering over a desk with a keyboard and mouse are gone. Sure you get the precision but frankly so can you with a controller if you practice.

I have my PC connected to a 65″ TV with 7.1 surround sound. A controller in my hand and Steam’s big picture mode and I have the greatest gaming setup I could ever dream of :)

14. DSB

I’ll take a bet on that at any time, in any game.

15. Richenbaum

it’s not about practice. modern controllers are not physically capable of the same wide and precise range of movements as a modern mouse. sure they can be adequate, but they’ll never be quite the same. just like keyboard and mouse is not as good for 3rd person games.

16. _LarZen_

#14

Hehe, bet you would! But then again I never wrote I master the controller :D

But you have probably like so many others watched clips on youtube with some insane gaming skills in COD and been chocked when you realize they are actually playing with a controller.

I know I have…several times.

But I play not to compete, I play to enjoy myself while relaxing in my sofa. Just finished Tomb Raider and BioShock: Infinite..both played with a controller with all settings cranked on max.

Games I would never even consider playing on a traditional PC setup today. Why wold I….

#15

That’s true! And I have a wireless mouse and keyboard. But if you have tried gaming with that in a sofa you realize fast that it’s not ideal for your wrists hands.

It usually don’t take long before you will get some pain..I do. But the again I play a little to much :D

I force myself to use it when playing mmo’s tho…not that I have any choice..

17. YoungZer0

@13: *eyeroll*

I never said I didn’t master zhe controller. I have consoles too and I play FP games on consoles, with zhe controller.

But I’ll always prefer playing FP games with Mouse and Keyboard, especially if I play online.

18. melonbuster1

Pc.. always thinking people care about your format. . Developers are just waiting for console s that are pclike and powerful enough to run the mmos of the world and your an afterthought

19. melonbuster1

Oh my! ?!??!! Ps4 and Xbox720 .. your done

20. Vice

After fantastic Tomb Raider, I trust Enix infinitely. They will deliver.

21. TheWulf

That’s… not a very bright thing to say at all. Did you think that through, even slightly? When consoles attain the potential of being computers then there’s no difference between consoles and computers. Consoles then are computers.

Tablets are almost computers right now. Eventually they’re all going to merge into just being computers of different types. You’ll just have a media centre in your home, and portables that you carry around with you.