Saints Row 4 could hit next-gen consoles “eventually”

Tuesday, 9th April 2013 10:55 GMT By Sam Clay

Saints Row 4 could see the light of day on next-gen consoles as well as their current gen release this August.

Design Director Scott Phillips told VG247 during a recent press event that their title wasn’t aimed for next-gen platforms as they were yet to receive hardware from either Sony or Microsoft. With their target date aimed at August they didn’t want to work on platforms that weren’t out.

“To be honest, we didn’t have much of the consoles for a long time and our target date was always where it is now, in August. Either Sony or Microsoft have put any dates on their stuff so we don’t like to work on platforms that we’re not sure are even going to be out.”

“It could come out on that eventually but that’s not our plan right now”.

So, the possibility of a shinier more over the top Saints Row? No complaints there then.

1. Lengendaryboss

Doesn’t matter which platforms its goes to, i’ll still won’t be buying it.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Digital Bamboo

I’ll take this as a possible indication that every big game released this year might one day release on next-gen consoles, and therefore wait to buy them then.

#2 1 year ago
  3. loki

No thx I don’t want this crap nowhere

#3 1 year ago
  4. ps3fanboy

LOVED THE SR3 SO THIS IS A FIRST DAY BUY EASY…. GTA SUX!

#4 1 year ago
  5. heroes159

@ 1 & 3,
    Don’t know why you guys are boycotting, but Saint row games are awesome games. I played Saint row 2 recently after i played Saint row 3rd. I was so impressed about saint row 2 & i thought Saint row 2 is better than saint row 3. Saint row 4 will be one of the biggest launch this year. These are real fun games :)

#5 1 year ago
  6. OmegaSlayer

Day 1 for me :)

#6 1 year ago
  7. Lengendaryboss

“I was so impressed about saint row 2 & i thought Saint row 2 is better than saint row 3.” That is part of the problem and the over the top craziness, i admired SR1+2 approach to craziness but for me SR3 is the limit and SR4 is past the limit. I would go into to detail why i am boycotting the game, but i have already done so.

#7 1 year ago
  8. ItsFade

I agree and it’s also the same reason why i’m staying the hell away from Saints Row 4. Saints Row 3 really burned me on the franchise, which is a shame because Saints Row 2 was excellent.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Lengendaryboss

@8 I mean its great that some fans love the over top craziness thus preventing it from being a GTA clone, but i loved the over top craziness in SR1+2 which is still grounded in reality, if only i played SR1 if it came to PS3 :( Now Saint Row has a split fanbase.

#9 1 year ago
  10. Mjorh

ain’t my type really …!

#10 1 year ago
  11. MidlifeAxe

It’s a shame video games aren’t allowed to be fun anymore.

#11 1 year ago
  12. Lengendaryboss

Its a shame that a franchise that started up serious, over the top and grounded in reality isn’t allowed to be too over the top and not grounded in reality. You change a formula of franchise you expect to hear negativity.

#12 1 year ago
  13. ps3fanboy

if you cant handle the over the top fun in a video game, you better stick to your atari2600.

#13 1 year ago
  14. stretch215

Saints row 1&2 were many things. “Serious” and “grounded in reality” they were not. Sure, they’ve gotten crazier, but (most) fans of the series will lap that shit up.

#14 1 year ago
  15. Samoan Spider

Yup and given that 3 sold more than 2, it stands to reason that people wanted ‘insane’ and heading further off on that tangent is surely logical from a business point of view

#15 1 year ago
  16. MidlifeAxe

Isn’t the SR franchise built on the idea that it’s just apeshit and crazy over the top? It’s got more insane as it’s progressed and people kept buying it, so it’s what people want.

Plus, it has to be pushed further otherwise people will accuse it of just being a copy of SR3.

@13,14,15 Agreed.

#16 1 year ago
  17. salarta

It seems like everything I like in the video game industry gets massive hatred around here, while conversely everything happening in the industry that I loathe gets gushing praise. This game seems to be another such case; I’m looking forward to it, I’m interested to see what craziness they pull, particularly with the story. The stuff that happened in SR3 was pretty playful and fun, very tongue-in-cheek, hoping to see more of that.

#17 1 year ago
  18. OlderGamer

If anyone cares the real meat and potatoes here is that a major game is hitting current gen now and then later, maybe next gen. I bet we see a lot more of then during this up and coming gen transition then in the past. One of the reasons I feel BC is a bigger issue today then it was at the start of last gen.

Simply put pubs will go where the instal user base is. Unless people eat up the new systems at and post launch…this will become a trend.

#18 1 year ago
  19. heroes159

IF u want a serious sandbox game with something close to reality there’s Grand theft Auto for you.
    IF u want a over the top Madness sandbox game with crazy things & nothing close to reality there’s saint row for you.

I say we need both games. at-least for me :)

#19 1 year ago
  20. jevonski

or… ya know they could make a new game for next gen instead of just porting a game that was meant to be DLC.

#20 1 year ago
  21. Lengendaryboss

@13 If only if i had owned it.
    @19 I am GTA Fan so no problem there.

#21 1 year ago