Halo franchise has “potential” for micro-payment items – 343 Industries

Monday, 8th April 2013 10:10 GMT By Dave Cook

Halo 4 developer 343 Industries feels that there could be space for micro-payment items in its shooter franchise. However, Dan Ayoub has stressed that nothing has been discussed on the matter yet.

Speaking with Digital Spy, Ayoub said, “I think Halo certainly has the potential for those kinds of things. We don’t have too much to talk about in terms of our plans down that line, but it’s certainly something … we’ve seen the fans of Gears are enjoying, and if it’s something we think our community is going to enjoy, it’s something we’ll seriously talk about.”

On what’s next on the Halo 4 DLC slate, Ayoub gave a thin but tantalising little nugget, “Obviously our commitment is always that we’re going to make sure there’s something for people to do on Halo, whether it’s playlists, or new maps or new content, something like that. We can’t say too much about the specifics we’re planning, but what we can say is we don’t take that commitment lightly, and people should keep their eyes open for cool stuff.”

What’s your take? Are you pro or anti-micro payment, or do you feel that they don’t do any specific harm? Let us know below.

Thanks OXM.

1. SameeR_Fisher

Shit Storm incoming in …….3 ……2 ……1

#1 1 year ago
  2. polygem

oh my. no way. this just makes me sad. that´s all i can say for now…
    always on, halo microtransactions, are they stupid, they should think about the message they are spreading here. fools.

#2 1 year ago
  3. YoungZer0

“We see potential of fucking over our customers.”

#3 1 year ago
  4. viralshag

Not going to get into but I’m pro-MTs, I don’t think they do any specific harm.

#4 1 year ago
  5. woe

This is giving hardcore Halo fans the option to buy skins that was exclusive to certain retailers and believe it or not they actually asked for this.

#5 1 year ago
  6. YoungZer0

Doubt it. Costumes are usually DLC.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Ristas

Why not? All the unlocks in Halo 4 after the first few hours of gameplay are pure cosmetics (excluding the special armors you get with level 50). I wouldn’t care if they would allow people to buy the different pieces of armor.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Gadzooks!

I have absolutely no problem with MT’s for cosmetic items. I don’t see why anyone would.

In fact I don’t do OMP anymore, so it will have zero effect on me either way.

#8 1 year ago
  9. OmegaSlayer

^___________________________^
    Microsoft fans love to be milked to death

#9 1 year ago
  10. hives

More and more reasons to slowly stop caring about all triple-A games except some of them without silly stuff like this (100% single player games).

#10 1 year ago
  11. zinc

They could try giving it for free… Fans love free stuff.

#11 1 year ago
  12. JRNO

Can’t wait to see armor pieces that have served as rewards for the dedicated to be sold for 0.99€ a piece. Micro-transactions have no place in a 60€ game.

As for DLC in general, I don’t mind paying for good chunks of content for a game I’ve enjoyed some time after it’s come out. Rockstar’s efforts with GTA IV and Red Dead Redemption were prime examples of DLC done right.

#12 1 year ago
  13. polygem

^this+1 exactly

#13 1 year ago
  14. Djoenz

Free 2 play games have always had microtransactions and its acceptable, cause they need revenue.

A full price game does not need microtransactions. DLC can be as bad as most already are but microtransactions are bullshit.

Paying for little virtual items that could be easily implemented in the game.

Support this and the Publishers will take advantage and scam people. Support this now and it will fuck up the future for gaming.

Developers make a dedicated game and put their souls into it. An allround game that feels complete. Giving gamers a service.

Now DLC (something like an expension) most of them feel like minor additions may or may not be already on disc (we made it ages ago but decided to make people pay for it)and that is already a big ass scam imo.

They made games on ps2 that were more complete than what they make nowadays. DLC should never be thought of until after months the game has been released and the fans demand extras imo.

Now this microtransactions stuff ?? I dont think so. It wont end well.

#14 1 year ago
  15. polygem

^ and this exactly as well :)

#15 1 year ago
  16. zinc

I always like the way they say “The fans want it” & then make the fans pay for it.

It’d generate a lot more goodwill towards whatever franchise their milking, if these little tidbits were given as presents, at anniversaries, Christmas, or whatever.

It’s as if they don’t know how to keep their customers sweet.

#16 1 year ago
  17. polygem

indeed.

#17 1 year ago
  18. Gadzooks!

8 million sales for Halo 4 in a time when studios are folding left, right and centre due to generation fatigue related poor sales. Eight million. On one platform.

They know exactly what their fans want.

#18 1 year ago
  19. Fin

“Halo franchise has potential for micro payment items”

I’M NEVER BUYING A TRIPLE A GAME EVER AGAIN.

Calm down ffs.

#19 1 year ago
  20. polygem

well i can only speak for myself here but i am a HUGE halo fan. halo 4 was a good game but my least favourite of the series by far. i think most of the mp changes made the game much worse. the campaign was ok but forgettable. microtransactions for halo is a nightmare coming true if you ask me, even if it´s just cosmetical stuff. halo deserves better than microtrashactions.

#20 1 year ago
  21. Gadzooks!

#20

No offense, but you are obviously not representative of the opinion of the 8 million.

#21 1 year ago
  22. fearmonkey

As long as its cosmetic, I dont really care.

If its not only comesmetic, then no, I dont want microtransactions in Halo.

#22 1 year ago
  23. OlderGamer

I would care cosmetic or not.

The first few forms of console DLC(that I can recall/MSs Mechassult) were all free. And who could be against free? Just look how that turned out. First cosmetic, then not, then madetory and critical to the game experience.

Slipery slopes and all of that….

#23 1 year ago
  24. polygem

@21: like i said, i can only speak for myself. if the majority wants a halo i do not want that´s fine. i´ll move on, but allow me to be upset about it.

edit:…and yeah, og+1. indeed.

#24 1 year ago
  25. Joe_Gamer

I will NEVER spend money on a game I already paid for. Got halfway through Halo 4 and couldn’t be assed to finish it so I suppose I was already done with the Halo franchise.

#25 1 year ago