Battlefield 4 to be bundled with next wave of AMD cards

Saturday, 6th April 2013 14:46 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Those in the market for a new video card may wish to hold out a while, as AMD plans to bundle one of its upcoming cards with Battlefield 4.

The Never Settle Campaign doesn’t have a start date, but that will be the push later this year, according to the firm’s CVP of global channel sales, Roy Taylor.

When BF4 was revealed at GDC 2013 last week, the game was demoed on a PC running the Radeon HD 7990 graphics card, which made my 5700 series look like something I bought at the Dollar General Store.

Battlefield 4 is out this fall on current and next-gen consoles and PC.

It’s rumored for an October 29 release, but EA has yet to set a firm date.

Thanks, EvilAvatar via XbitLabs.

1. powerbuoy

Perhaps I should get an AMD card next time I upgrade. Was leaning towards the GTX680 but seeing as both PS4 and NextBox use AMD I guess most games will be optimized towards that.

#1 1 year ago
  2. ballz

good news, means we will find cheap keys everywhere
    bioshock infinite and tomb raider were 20$ pretty much everywhere :)

#2 1 year ago
  3. Christopher Jack

@1, It doesn’t work quite that way. Performance often goes down to drivers between AMD’s & Nvidia’s competing GPUs & Nvidia tends to come out on top in that regard.

#3 1 year ago
  4. sh4dow

@3: But those measly 2-3 percent of performance improvement due to drivers (it depends of course but a lot of times, I didn’t find it noteworthy) don’t help when the AMD cards perform better at their price point. Which apparently was e.g. the case with the 7970.

Plus, while Nvidia cards may perform a bit better, their support sucks. Big time. Whenever I was trying to solve a problem, the usual answer I came across “AMD drivers offer that”, “no such issues with AMD cards”, etc.
    On Nvidia forums meanwhile… good luck trying to find a support guy who gives a shit.
    Which is why I sold my Nvidia cards not too long ago and my next one will be an AMD one for sure.

#4 1 year ago
  5. sh4dow

One thing I find very surprising though… they really demoed that with a 7990? That chunk of gameplay they showed publicly?

I ask because I saw no microstuttering anywhere. And having played a lot with two Geforce 570s, I know what that looks like and how much it sucks. I sometimes purposely played games on one GPU because they looked smoother with the constant “stutter” of ~30fps that microstutter at ~60fps.
    And according to at least one test I’ve seen, Nvidia cards are actually supposed to perform better than ATI in that regard. So if anything, 7990 should stutter like hell. Huh.

#5 1 year ago
  6. CPC_RedDawn

@SH4DOW

Microstutter can happen due to a number of things. Insufficent power supply, bad overclocking, drivers, and a lot based on the game engine used too. I have 2 single 7970GHz edition cards in crossfire and I have zero microstutter. I game at 1080p, 1440p, and 1600p and zero stutter in any of my games. My two cards are faster than this 7990 being released as I have them both overclocked to 1200/1650 @ 1.2v and zero stutter.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Espers

I don’t think it’s for marketing purposes only, BF4 maybe more compatible with AMD cards than nvidia, remember tomb raider ?!

#7 1 year ago
  8. McShifty1984

When I saw project shield I was certain my next gpu would be from the green team. Now Amd seem to have the console market sewn up and I’m wondering if that’s gonna have any knock-on effect in the PC space. Guess I’ll wait now to see what Amd bring to the table.

#8 1 year ago
  9. KenanB97

I’m really pumped for this game. Battlefield 3 for me was a sniper bullet to call of duty that year. It didn’t necessarily hit hard but it had the potential to.
    The only let down for battlefield 3 was map design comparing to BFBC2. Bad company’s map designers were on form that year. The open, non-linear approach with all maps was so cleverly worked into each and every map. But coming to BF3 trailers and early gameplay footage I could tell that CoD was an influence but overall the game was fairly good at keeping me satisfied houra on end.

#9 1 year ago