Witcher 3 is DRM-free, CD Projekt RED confirms

Thursday, 4th April 2013 13:06 GMT By Dave Cook

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt developer CD Projekt RED has confirmed its open-world RPG will be DRM-free. Game designer Maciej Szczesnik has stated that if pirates want to crack the game then they will any way.

Speaking with Kotaku, Szczesnik said, “We are trying to get rid of DRM. If someone wants to pirate a game, eventually he will.”

Managing director Adam Badowski continued, “Which is bad, of course. But you can’t do anything about it, so. We want to give the best user experience possible. When we removed DRM, people on those torrents were actually asking people not to download our game, because we [weren't using DRM].”

Bam. There you have it. What do you think?

Thanks Gamespot.

1. ballz

ill get it on steam anyway so dont care

#1 1 year ago
  2. YoungZer0

My money is ready. Hope it’s as open to modding as the second one. Would love to use my warpaint again.

#2 1 year ago
  3. ps3fanboy

finally someone gets it… this is a day one buy now for sure.

#3 1 year ago
  4. noamlol2

CDPR are the wisest game developers

they don’t care that people pirate their games, they care about the people who actually buy their games and that my friends is a true business

but one thing still pisses me off
    if the people on torrent who upload the torrent says to not pirate then why are they even uploading the torrent?

but i shouldn’t care, cause i will buy this game 1D purchse :D

#4 1 year ago
  5. xxJPRACERxx

I prefer SimCity!

#5 1 year ago
  6. YoungZer0

@4: Who said that? What Pirate would tell other Pirates not to pirate?

#6 1 year ago
  7. The_Red

Hey EA, you see this? I guess you don’t because people that like this type of stuff are a “vocal minority”.

The CD Project guys and gals are awesome and a single pixel of their DRM-free Witcher 3 is worth more than 10 million Sim-”Always-connected experience”-City games.

#7 1 year ago
  8. theevilaires

I hope they release a Witcher collection on PS4 containing all 3 games.

#8 1 year ago
  9. deathm00n

@6 Me! (Hope I don’t get banned for saying I’m a pirate lol). Before you all fall down on me let me explain my position: There’s games wich doesn’t have demos and their system requirements may or may not be enough for my computer to handle (sometimes system requirements aren’t precise). Before spending my money on a game wich I don’t know if I can run I pefer to pirate it to see if it’s working and if it’s worth my money. A lot of people does it.

This brings me to a topic I discuss with my friends, there should exist something like the 1 hour trials of PS+ for every game. The Witcher 3 being as system heavy as it looks, if there isn’t a demo I will pirate it to see if my computer can handle it. That’s the truth people, not every pirate is bad.

#9 1 year ago
  10. TheBlackHole

And yet despite all of this, The Witcher series continues to sell significantly less than worse games of lower quality that do use DRM.

The simple fact is most people don’t care about DRM. There’s a vocal minority (much like MTX and freemium complaints, actually), but it’s not affecting game sales to the extent you people would suggest.

#10 1 year ago
  11. ojinnvoltz

@6: Many uploaders pop something along the lines of “if you like it, buy it” in the torrent description. some patching programs will say that too.

I pirate the Witcher 2. Liked the game, liked the ideas of CDP as a dev and publisher, bought it.

#11 1 year ago
  12. ps3fanboy

@10 TheBlackHole

you must understand that witcher have never been a game for the masses, so it will never sell big.

there are also people that download it, to try it out but didn’t like it, so they didn’t buy it. these are potential customers not pirates, because if they had liked it, they would have bought it and supported it. nothing is black and white like riaa/mpaa want you to think it is.

#12 1 year ago
  13. Max Payne

Not only that Witcher is way harder than your average rpg its also demanding for PC. Also I don’t think game have some big marketing like other AAA games.

#13 1 year ago
  14. CPC_RedDawn

A dev that understands the gamers, a dev who pours their heart of soul into every release they make, a dev that shows respect for their customer, I am 100% sold. This team is probably one of, if not the, best games dev company in the world.

I would love it if Valve brought or partnered with these guys!

#14 1 year ago
  15. Mineral4r7s

@14 u crazy? They said no DRM. Valve is all about DRM.

#15 1 year ago
  16. Mjorh

Makes Sense !

#16 1 year ago
  17. TheBlackHole

@15 +100

“you must understand that witcher have never been a game for the masses”

I disagree. I think their move towards console suggests that they DO think it’s a game for the masses.

“there are also people that download it, to try it out but didn’t like it, so they didn’t buy it. these are potential customers not pirates”

No, they are pirates. Some of these people will also buy it, but the majority will not. You said it yourself, “nothing is black and white”. The idea that all pirates are really morally conscientious consumers that care about supporting worthy products is a wildly misguided (if hopeful) belief that some people use to absolve themselves of any guilt for being a thief.

Sounds harsh, but it’s a sorry truth.

Now, I’m not a supporter of DRM, but I do think piracy is a massive problem. I like PS4′s suggestion that all games will have demos. Surely that’s enough to make a decision – you wouldn’t have to pirate the whole game if you could try them properly first.

After all, you don’t leave a movie theater and pay on the basis of whether or not you enjoyed the film?

#17 1 year ago
  18. tupelo

I have been playing games since the late 70′s. So my pirate days are long over. I usually buy from steam but I bought the witcher 2 straight from the source (gog.com).

Steam and GOG have put an end to any thoughts of stealing a single game.

yeah, I did have to sign up for origin because I was given crysis 3 with my 7970.

cd projeckt red are fucking gods, and I will support them until the bitter end.

(I live in the so called “united states”.. so not sure if steam prices are bullshit in other places or not).

#18 1 year ago